1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The majors don't test for mar1juana.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Brett Adcock might be the top LHP in the system. He might be trying to force his way into a promotion too.

His line vs. Clinton: 4.2 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, 6 K

Joe Joe likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nice jinx.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Almonte just hit another 2-run homer. That's three in 4 games since he joined the team.

No Worries likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

J.D. Davis just homered again for Corpus. He now has 4 on the season.

A.J. Reed just put Fresno on the board with a 3-run homer, his 3rd of the year.

#525 tellitlikeitis, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    texans1095 likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looking like Fesno will have a shot at making it 14 and 0 for organization in lsst three days.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Minor league Rule 5 selection Eduardo de Oleo has a 3-homer night for Buies Creek.

8. Buck Turgidson

Been meaning to ask...does that rhyme with "breeze" or "buoys"?

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Rogelio Armenteros got the save in Corpus Christi's 8-3 win over Frisco by throwing 4 scoreless innings, allowing 3 hits, walking 2, and striking out 4.

The Astros' international operation has really found some players.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Fresno erased a 4-0 deficit and is now leading 8-5 heading into the 9th.

No Worries likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

For the 3rd day in a row, every team in the system won.

No Worries and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  13. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...carolina-league-pitching/#ZvqTX3LfHLI624hR.97

ZEBULON, N.C.—Kyle Tucker, the Astros’ No. 2 prospect and the No. 19 prospect on the preseason Top 100 Prospects, entered this season wanting to add more power to his game. To do that, he had to work hard to put more weight on his frame. And to do that, he had to start eating breakfast.

“It was trying to eat a lot more. I started eating breakfast more,” Tucker said. “Normally, I’m not a big breakfast guy, but I had to kind of force myself to do that in the offseason so I could gain the weight. So that kind of factored in to it.”

Now, his mornings include a pre-workout shake, a protein bar and maybe a Chick-fil-A breakfast if he’s up early enough. Those extra calories, plus many more throughout the day and a fall-to-spring workout regimen, have resulted in 15-20 pounds of good weight. And after hitting nine home runs in a 2016 season abbreviated by a hip injury, Tucker has socked three in the first 14 games this season. As he continued working out and adding weight, he could feel the ball start coming off his bat with more authority.

A scout who has seen Tucker multiple times noticed the ball coming off harder, too, but also noted that Tucker had an uncanny knack for getting the barrel to the ball nearly every time. He saw above-average hand-eye coordination and a kind of breezy power that allowed to him to hit the ball hard without looking like he’s swinging out of his shoes. It’s translating in the stat line, too, where Tucker is hitting .296/.367/.611 with six doubles, three home runs and six RBIs to go with four stolen bases.

“I can tell there’s a little bit of a difference from last year,” Tucker said. “It’s coming off the bat a little bit better, but I think that’s more of my swing path and everything. But the weight does factor in to it.”

More than power, though, Tucker is also working this season on refining his plate discipline. The results were evident in his team’s win on Thursday night, when he came back from down two strikes in an at-bat to work a walk and later when he refused to expand the zone against Carolina’s Quintin Torres-Costa, the type of low-slot lefthander who gives lefthanded hitters fits. Taking close pitches and working deep counts won’t necessarily show up in the box score, but they do go a long way toward Tucker’s development as a complete player.

“I can tell my zone has gotten a little bit smaller, but I’m still chasing a few balls,” Tucker said. “Obviously I can factor that out as I grow up and keep taking pitches. You can’t swing at those close pitches that are on the corner with one strike or no strikes on you. You’ve got to wait until they throw it in your spot and you’ve got to attack from there.”

At the same time he’s adding weight and power, however, Tucker wants to maintain his speed as well. Doing so will help him stay in center field and keep him a threat on the basepaths. He stole 32 bases in 44 chances last year and he’d like to continue that prowess. If he continues adding weight, however, those totals are likely to decline. So he’s got to strike a balance in his workouts to maintain his rep as one of the minors’ true power-speed threats.

“Last year, I think I had 32 bags, so that’s pretty good, so I’d like to stay up there,” he said. “And I had nine home runs last year, so I’m trying to get into double-digits this year. It’s basically just, get as much as you can.”

NOTES

Franklin Perez started for Buies Creek and was dominant once again. The Astros’ No. 4 prospect sat comfortably in the low 90s with his fastball but reached back on multiple occasions for 94-95 mph gas to finish off hitters. Over five innings the 19-year-old Perez allowed just two hits, walked nobody and struck out seven before yielding to the second half of the day’s piggyback tandem, lefthander Matt Bower. Perez continued to show above-average command of his arsenal all evening long. His changeup showed excellent fade late, and he modified the velocity on his slider all night to keep hitters’ timing off. In 14.2 innings he’s allowed just three hits, no runs, walked three and struck out 14.

bigdaddy, No Worries and dockerland like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Too bad they didn't ask questions about this. It looked slightly like he was getting more on plane with ball late last season. If that is the case and he keeps doing it, he's going to be a very nice hitter

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

Now now.... Perez isn't in the Astros top three prospects. All the precious publicated "prospect lists" have him lower.
    The Astros didn't pass on Bryant because of mar1juana use. The Astros passed on Bryant because they felt Appel was the better prospect. Epstein and Hoyer had Appel higher on their board than Bryant too.

Sometimes luck plays a part. No one knew Appel was as mentally weak as he is until he wrote his infamous letter.

The Cubs were lucky the Astros had the #1 pick that year. Likewise the Astros were lucky Aiken never signed and they were able to take Bregman the next year.

Quality of scouting matters, but luck and timing do as well.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not all him lower than 3 unless we are talking Hector Perez. Not sure the reason for the quotation marks. Prospect lists are definitely lists of prospects unless you are questioning whether Martes, Tucker, and Perez are prospects.

Never understood your disdain for the lists. They aren't perfect. They aren't close to perfect. However, baseball is fickle and guys in majors are constantly getting better or worse. Considering most prospects haven't played in majors, nailing 2/3s of the good MLB players in Top 100 lists ain't bad. Most of the ones they miss are fast risers (i.e. they go from guys with tools to guys with tools dominating the minors in under a season) or guys with less tools that just hit or get people out at every level. If you follow the guys that make the lists, most of these 1/3 are known before MLB appearance.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Stros bought Hauschild back from the Rangers for $50K. Hopefully he can share some trade secrets.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I saw that in the TCB comments section and just being nitpicky, i'm pretty sure that number is wrong. Its $50k to make the rule 5 pick but $25k if he's offered back to the original team.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Forrest Whitley hasn't made an appearance since April 11. Guess the kid gloves are on real tight with him.