1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

He could be working on a 3rd/4th pitch. That would be nice to know, if he's just throwing 80% sliders or whatever in any given start.

2. Progs

Progs Member

This is why you don't rush him to the majors.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's the second youngest pitcher in AAA. I highly doubt Astros are worried about rushing him.

4. Progs

Progs Member

Major difference between AAA and the majors, just ask Brett Wallace

CometsWin and texans1095 like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, but if they had issues with potentially rushing him to majors, he wouldn't be in AAA. He's only in AAA because they want him in majors soon.

6. vonwafer234

vonwafer234 Member

The only explanation as to why I think the Astros didn't draft Benintendi is because they had a set list heading into that college and high school season on who they'd consider with the 2nd and 5th pick and Bentintendi had taken that summer off and was kind of considered a "pop-up prospect."

7. Nook

Nook Member

The most likely reason is..... that Luhnow preferred Tucker.

Luhnow had followed him since his freshman year in high school.

texans1095 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. They may have also wanted to balance 1 HS and 1 college pick in the the top 5...

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  9. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-mlb-mock-draft-v2-0/

The Astros have been tied to Tucker and Cameron here for months and lately have been tied to Benintendi and Bregman. The strong industry belief is that the Astros want two bats with these two top picks and want huge upside to justify taking a prep bat at 5. There’s been more buzz recently that Tucker has overtaken Cameron (I would take Tucker over Cameron as well), but Bregman would likely be the pick over Tucker if he slides past Texas. Benintendi is a late riser that looks to be the choice behind Tucker, or if they want to save a little more money at this pick. Texas prep LF Trenton Clark has also been tied here, but he fits a little lower and college arms Tate, Fulmer and Jay have all been seen by Houston’s heavy hitters recently, but those seems like backup plans to Tucker and Bregman here.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Akeem Bostick, RHP, Houston Astros (High-A Buies Creek)

Under a Dontrelle Willis-model lid is a well-proportioned, 6-foot-4, 224-pound frame that looks like a second-round pick right off the bus. Bostick’s athleticism presented itself several times throughout Wednesday morning's game against Myrtle Beach: his full-windup motion was fluid and balanced, he repeated well, he even bobbed and weaved off the mound to elude some sort of stinging insect. When the weak Pelicans lineup made contact, it was often soft and on the ground, the result of excellent angle and deception born from an arm action that keeps the ball hidden until it comes out of his ear. Despite fastball velocity that sat 91-92 and topped out at 95, I couldn’t help but wonder if loosening up or elongating his arm action would unlock another tick or two, or add some needed life. Bostick controlled well inside and out, and pounded the bottom of the zone—save for a few times he abandoned his easy delivery and overthrew, leaving the ball up and off the plate to the glove side. His best secondary on this day was a sweeping slider at 83-85 that he wasn’t afraid to sequence first in an at-bat or double down when the first one had the hitter off balance. Against a squad flush with righties, I didn’t see enough of the changeup to ruminate on his ability to stick in the rotation, but it was a positive outing overall, a sign that Bostick still has time to realize some of the potential that’s been obscured by injuries and command struggles. —Greg Wellemeyer

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Guys, it also isn't any sort of slam dunk that Benintendi has a better career than Tucker. I have a feeling we are going to be very happy with Tucker at the end of the day.

texans1095 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Premature e-speculation.

No Worries likes this.
  13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Luhnow and staff built such a strong young talent base that it gave them the opportunity to take a high upside prep bat. I still shake my head in disbelief that their rebuilding plan pretty much could not have gone any better (yadda yadda Kris Bryant).

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs posted their review of the Rangers system today, and they have it pretty much on par with Houston's farm, based mostly on their 2015 international haul. I disagree and think that Houston's system has both better high-end talent and a LOT more depth. I look down their list of top 22 prospects and I like Mendez as a Top 100/55 grade and Yanio Perez as a 50 grade, but I don't see Taveras as a 55 (don't think the power will come and don't think he's as stellar defender as they're saying so I'd say he's a 50 with tons of upside) and the other guys are 40s with a few fringe 45s.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hmm. Nick Hernandez is listed as the probable starter for Buies Creek today.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Elieser's back on the active roster. Pretty sure they mixed the two Hernandezes up.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Looks like we have some drama.

No Worries likes this.
  18. Progs

Progs Member

KT has been killing it in the minors. I'm happy with that choice. Now, Kris Bryant had failed 4 mar1juana tests while in San Diego. That's the main reason why Luhnow didn't draft him.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I recall reading somewhere that his attitude upon signing was he would play as long as he moved quickly and if he didn't move quickly he would go do something else (like go back and play in Holland).

I doubt there was major drama. Houston probably told him he'd be on a short leash when he demanded to start off in full season ball, and when he floundered out of the gate they may have both agreed to part ways.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

That's right. I mentioned that when he originally signed (in last year's draft tracker thread) and that detail skipped my mind.

The article linked in the tweet above suggested there was much drama behind the scenes. Probably for the best for both parties... someone else in the system takes his spot and he's free to pursue other opportunities in the game instead of just spinning his wheels in a minor league system.

Article on his signing

Snake Diggit likes this.