1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Astros acquire Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Agree with you on Morton. His stuff is elite for a bullpen arm, but until he does it, can't be certain.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I have an affinity for good defensive catchers. Rogers is one of the best defensive catcher prospects to come around in a long time... he will be a big leaguer in some capacity because of it. And that's even if he can't hit.

That being said, I'm happy now. Team needed it, clubhouse needed it, city needed it.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'll go ahead and say it, with everything that was said after the deadline and as bad as this month has been for this team on the field... they still maintained a double digit lead in the West and they still have the best AL record.

Now they add Maybin and Verlander. Correa and McCullers are making their rehab starts. Springer is getting back into shape every day and Bregman has really come into his own.

It's very arguable that making the trade now was much better for the team.

Fyreball, Hustle Town and Remix like this.
  4. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Cleveland fans loving this. Very confident Tribe owns JV. While he has had terrible starts against Cleveland recently he's also had some great ones.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

6. Nook

Nook Member

No, making the trade a month ago would have been better. However we don't know if Verlander would have approved it or if Detroit was motivated a month ago.

I do think that the deals made today have to fire up the clubhouse. The Astros added two veterans that have good reputations with fellow players. Verlander is a horse, which is something the Astro really needed.

Assuming health..... Keuchel- Verlander- McCullers- Peacock can hold their own against just about anyone.

Once healthy this team will have the pitching advantage 2/3-3/4 of the time and has a shot to go on a real hot streak.

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Arms are set. Up to the offense to get back to where they were, and I have confidence that they will. Just need George to readjust and Correa to come back strong.

Nook likes this.
  8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Verlander is my Game 1 starter, not Keuchel.

chievous minniefield and Fulgore like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... we will see how they like having McCullers go in game 3 instead of 2; and now having to face Peacock and Morton out of the pen.

It isn't as simple as just facing Verlander.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Francisco Liriano you just lost your jersey number, congrats.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

And maybe your job as well.

12. HTM

HTM Member

We still might not even face Cleveland.... We can cross that bridge when we come to it

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Very fair.

would this year be prorated or the 8m also?

Keeps him at 20m per and a total savings of 24m possibly 32m if the vesting option is triggered if so, if not its 16m possibly 24m?

That's covered next year by gregerson and beltran.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Keuchel has been pretty money in the playoffs for astros. Before his injury he was the best pitcher in baseball.

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I was extremely vocal in expressing my disappointment after the deadline, so it's only fair that I give Luhnow his props for this. What a move. Just unbelievable.

gatsby, BMoney, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Depends on the matchup for me.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Assuming we have home field advantage, I role with Kuechel and LMJ in G1 and G2

Let Verlander handle the road. LMJ is night and day different at home. With the crowd behind him? Oh boy. Save the tested vet for the road.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

so damn pumped.

19. the shark

the shark Member

For what they gave up and Detroit picking up 8 mil per year........I likey!!!!

They HAD to pull the trigger.

BMoney likes this.
  20. Malaya

Malaya Member

I criticized you at the no-trade deadline but now, gotta give credit where credit is due.

Take a bow, Crane and Luhnow. A much- needed lift to a flagging team and a reeling city.

After some family and city time, get to work regaining momentum for the playoffs and WS

BMoney likes this.