1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It'll be more watching to see if things go as horribly wrong as they keep saying will happen. So many problems and they're still so far behind, just days away from it starting.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm interested in this as well, but I have a feeling that everything will end up more or less working out. Things in Rio seem a little more out of sorts than they were in Sochi, but there were many of these same concerns before those games, and those storylines just kind of disappeared once things got going.

If nothing else, I think it will be one of those things where everything seems fine during the two weeks-plus of competition, and we get all of the puff pieces on NBC, but then we get all of the stories on Deadspin and the likes in the weeks afterword about how the city was once again left holding the bag and there was still rampant unrest in the areas away from the Olympic Village.

With all that said, I'm super excited for the events themselves, and in particular the kind of obscure events that we only see every four years. Four years ago, I found myself sucked in by team handball, of all things. It's part-soccer, part-basketball, and just a whole lot of fun.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ahh yes. The only time I ever watch gymnastics, swimming and no name boxers who I will be shelling money (streaming) to see down the road.

Also rooting for all and any local Houston people.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Those logos for each sport are great.

The basketball logo is better than the NBDL's.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Russians are banned, more medals for other nations

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Only partiallly banned, corrupt IOC (f*** Bach) reverted the CAS decision and now every federation has to decide whether Russian athletes can participate in its competitions.

I don't know each decision, but they're definitely banned in track&field and weight lifting.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Track and Field account for half of their medal tally. ;)

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

So why were the Russians banned?

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Whistleblowers revealed that the Russian government has been systematically implementing a system that involves doping and they have also been destroying blood samples, evidence and on occasions made it impossible for international doping agencies to test athletes.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Check it:

DEFEND THE GOLD!

[​IMG]

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why are the Brazilians booing Hope Solo?

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Brazilians are booing then yelling "ZIKA!" when Hope Solo kicks the ball.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

My bet is on Brazil, they even wasted the Copa to focus on this.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lmao I was thinking Swoly would be rooting against Brazil

1 person likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Am I the only one that thinks there are WAYYYY to many swimming events?!?! I think Track has it right with their events. You don't see a track event for running sideways or backwards, etc... There is no form rule, just run your fastest and may the best athlete win. Swimming though is a joke. It should be like track, any form you want to achieve you fastest and that's it. No gimmick forms.

17. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

By that logic, you can argue that hurdles is a type of "gimmick" form in track as well...Can't really agree, whoever is the best freestyler would win nearly all of these "speed" events then as it is the fastest type of swimming technique by a large margin. The different types of strokes all require different degrees of difficulty and skill as well, so why not let the swimmers show off their talent? It would also take away from one of the most exciting events, which is the medley relay.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Did you seriously just compare the backstroke to running backwards?? That's.....surreal.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

look at the medal totals, swimming should not have that many. it's a joke. and no hurdles are completely different. i would equate that to diving, synchronized swimming, or something like that.

actually if you can read (i can't tell) you will see i did no such thing. i stand by what i did say however, way to many medals for swimming down a "track." track is run as fast as you can, no forced technique, for different distances. swimming should be the same.

and i did a google search and apparently i'm not the only one who thinks this. there are millions who agree with me apparently.