1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 1, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Question marks for ST and 2016 season

1. DH Can GAttis rebound from a below average year?
    2. 1b Can Singleton finally prove he has the power to play 1b in the majors???
    3. Number 5 starter. Is Feldman healthy? Can he pitch a whole year? Whose next if we have an injury in the rotation??? Straily? Wojo?
    4. We need another lefty in the bullpen. Should we trade for a guy like Giovanni Soto (Cleveland). Another move could be signing BAstardo.
    A bullpen of:
    1. Giles
    2. Gregerson
    3. Sipp
    4. Harris
    5. Bastardo
    6. Neshek
    7. Fields

That would be a really great bullpen

Our rotation, if we are going to lose a draft pick for a pitcher, then lets go after Chen, he would be a really good number 3 starter and another lefty.
    I still think Mornueau is a possibility on a 1 year deal.

We lost on Kazmir, but a Chen, Bastardo and Morneau moves would make us best team in AL.

Imagine this rotation:
    1. K
    2. McCullers
    3. Chen
    4. McHugh
    5. Fiers

Lineup:

1. Springer rf
    2. Altuve 2b
    3. Correa SS
    4. Morneau 1b
    5. Gomez cf
    6. Rasmus Lf
    7. Gattis DH
    8. Valbuena 3b
    9. Castro C

Bench

Marwin Gonzalez
    Marisnick
    Stassi
    Singleton/Perez

WE need to trade Feldman

yes, is going to cost a lot of money these moves, but….

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Think my favorite memory of Cabrera was him blowing a 9th inning lead vs the USA in the baseball classic several years back

But seriously, a guy in his mid 30s rarely learns how to consistently throw strikes, if he never has before.

And really if we are worrying about having someone from Peurto Rico on the team, I think we have that covered already?

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Arroyo has never been a minor league FA. He was also 27 when he had his major league breakout.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, it didn't take long before this thread went off the rails...

Would I be out of my mind if I believed that Tyler Heineman could beat Max Stassi for the backup C job?

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

He was a free agent and anyone could had signed him after he pitched winter league that year. I saw him and said in that astros forum we should sign him, we did not and he had a very nice career after that.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect he is talking about the 2003 season when the Red Sox signed him after claiming him off waivers from the Pirates, but as you said, not as a minor league free agent.

7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Why is everything always "i told you so" with you???

8. juicystream

Bronson Arroyo has only been a Free Agent once in his career, and that was after the 2013 season.

9. juicystream

I'm sure he's just full of it. There wasn't much in the way of coverage for winter leagues over 10 years ago.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Prior to 2003, he was placed on waivers by the Pirates. Since Boston claimed him (and had a better record than Houston), theoretically the Astros could have claimed him first.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I thought about that too. The fact that Gonzalez was protected over Heineman leads me to think the club thinks more of him. Now that he survived the rule 5, there's no real advantage Stassi has over him. They can simply move Stassi and add Heineman to the 40 man if Heineman impresses.

Stassi has been great in his cups of coffee, but he hasn't really shown anything at AAA. Heineman struggled in the high minors as well. If you were doing a blind comp the 2 look a lot alike, but again the fact that Stassi and Gonzalez were protected and he was left dangling tells me where the organization views the 3. If he wants the job, he's clearly gonna have to go and take it, which is possible.

12. Progs

Progs Member

Unless he kills it on ST, he would be best to stay.

13. Progs

Progs Member

If Astros get another lefty, the bullpen would be lights out.

14. juicystream

Record wouldn't even matter, since we we were both in the NL and would have gotten a chance before Boston, but he specifically said he was a free agent and anyone could have signed him, which is incorrect.

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Perfect, i stand corrected, he was not a Free Agent, he was on waivers, so even more powerful to my argument in 2000, it was NOT going to cost much, only to pick him through waivers, like Boston did. But, many laughed because i was making an argument for a guy that pitched in winter leagues, like some here made.

Same argument with Cabrera, will he cost us? No. But, if he is able to pitch in the majors, it would be a great achievement and not costing much to us, that is the reality.

His numbers are impressive, why not give the guy a chance??? He is the BEST reliever in the league (winter league). He is the closer for team Puerto Rico, the team that finished second in the World Baseball Series?

And just for the record, so you may know, Springer told Correa he will play for team Puerto Rico.

Right now they don't know if Aredondo will and Arrieta, but if those 2 play this is the team:

C Yadier Molina
    1b Aredondo
    2b Javier Baez
    3b Carlos Correa
    SS Francisco Lindor
    lf Eddie Rosario
    cf Springer
    rf Alexis
    DH Beltran

Rotation:

Arrieta
    Berrios
    Diaz

And yes, the closer will be Fernando Cabrera

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

who gives a **** about team puerto rico?

this is about the Houston Astros

17. Buck Turgidson

Nobody, but he hasn't had the chance to do his daily 5 post lineup whine in a long time, so he's going fantasy international ball.

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

When the puertorican team has playing the two best players on that team, well ……..

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

New Spring Training cap:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros' rainbow stripes look sharp on the new navy spring training cap. Better contrast than on old orange design. <a href="https://t.co/X9xjAv7uAt">pic.twitter.com/X9xjAv7uAt</a></p>&mdash; Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) <a href="https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/692768972102602753">January 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chris Creamer: New Spring Training uni; everyone has something new for the spring

[​IMG]

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astros DH Evan Gattis had surgery to repair a hernia &amp; is to miss most of spring, the Chronicle has learned. 4-6 wks <a href="https://t.co/SWEuGkeoFE">https://t.co/SWEuGkeoFE</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/697250807792537601">February 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>