1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That will be my next phone when I'm ready to buy in a couple months. I'd jump all over that.

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Damn, I thought I was getting a deal with Newegg with their free headphones. I think I'll cancel that order and go with this!

4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This is quite a steal, but after reading some reviews on the previous Axon I'm a bit weary. Things like phone overheating, glitchy screen rotation, and several other complaints made ppl return the previous Axon fairly quick.

I want to like this phone, but I'm skeptical. I may just wait for the next Google Nexus in September

5. Dave2000

The 2 year Passport Warranty they have included with it seems to be a good compromise to ease consumers

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Yea the Axon 7 is by far the best deal for your money in terms of hardware. Easily eclipsing the Oneplus 3 in value IMO.

The Passport 2.0 warranty is heads and shoulders above anyone else's warranty. It's 2 year standard warranty that covers manufacturing defect, but it includes shipping both ways as well as advanced replacement (ZTE sends you a phone before you ship your broken one back to them). The warranty also covers accidental damage (cracked screen, drowned phone) for 2 years with an $80 deductible. That's better than the $150 square trade plan that charges $99 deductible.

I am seriously thinking about it, though my Oneplus 2 is serving me quite well right now. Also, even though it's a silly reason, I think the Axon 7 looks quite ugly compared to other flagships of this generation...

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

it's all fun and games until you don't get oem updates until 7-8 months down the line.

8. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I think ZTE has every incentive to update this phone because of the Google Daydream VR platform.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/344761/hands-on-zte-axon-7-the-first-google-daydream-vr-phone

Anyways, I've already pre-ordered through B&H!

9. TMac'n

Reminds me of when Hyundai came out with their 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty. Now look at Hyundai, a trusted car company with reliable cars. I think ZTE will do the same eventually for cell phones.

I think the "gold" looks ugly, but the grey looks decent.

I agree, I'm sure the update will come sooner rather than later

10. Dave2000

well deal is dead, it's a $25 gift card now instead of $75

btw, found these videos on the Slickdeals thread for those interested on camera quality

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ni3pb7UwwJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iln4VouVW-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

they've been proven to update faster than most. previous model got updated in several months. it's a viable option to the nexus. i'd consider it... especially since this year's nexus is rumored to not have front facing speakers. that really does make a difference.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AXF-J-zCKQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The one plus 3 has a brighter screen and has better overall performance so I would say that in the 400 dollar segment, the One Plus 3 might be a slightly better buy.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Oneplus 3 is a good phone, but Dave, you will find many that disagree with this statement.

Also, if you watch multiple videos by the user in that YouTube video, you'll find he's a pretty huge Oneplus fanboy, which is how they get most of their advertisement.

The Axon has better resolution, if you want to use VR. It will be one of the first Daydream (Google's VR ecosystem) ready phones. It has front facing speakers with a dedicated audio chip. It has expandable memory. It has, by just about every account I've seen, a screen that's on par with the Galaxy S7, which most consider to be the best in the industry.

The Oneplus 3's camera may be slightly better, but the Axon has better hardware, and is supposedly going to be better optimized in future updates.

What remains to be seen is if it will have bugs and small issues like the Oneplus 3 does. Though, the Oneplus One was palgued with similar issues, and I haven't experienced many with my One.

The Passport warranty is the icing on the cake, for me, which makes it no competition at all, between the two phones.

14. fchowd0311

Performance trumps all those points for me at least. The video concludes that the One Plus has better performance. There is no reason to believe his test isn't credible. He recorded the test from end to beginning and it's pretty clear that the One Plus 3 is smoother and quicker device and a large part of that is due to it being 1080p.

Also there is NO WAY the Axon has the same level of display as Samsung's latest and greatest from the mere fact that the Axon 7's display has a very low max brightness which is the opposite of a modern galaxy device that can output 800+ nits.

Also the one plus 3 isn't having any major reports of bugs that isn't inline with pretty much every other major phone release.

15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Yea I am pretty sure the Oneplus 3 would have better performance. Oxygen OS is pretty much an optimized version of stock Android with a few extra features. I'm a huge fan. There is a recent speedtest by phonebuff where the OP3 easily trumps the Galaxy S7 with the Exynos processor.

Though I am still cautiously optimistic that the Axon 7 would be more optimized as the software matures. The speedtest posted by LBS is done on the Asian version of the Axon 7 running MiFlavor 4.0 which is different from the US version. The US version is suppose to be more 'stockish' which could help its speed.

However, I can't ignore how many more features the Axon 7 has compared to the OP3. It has a micro sd slot, dual front facing camera, 1440p screen, slightly bigger battery, dedicated DAC, and a much better warranty.

Oneplus 3 does have HUGE developer community though and dash charging is great. I would love for more companies to do dash charging instead of QC 3.0.

16. Dave2000

I'm waiting on review for the US version, reviews for the international version have been good but will wait for full fledged reviews from Engadget/Verge/Android Police

17. TMac'n

Wow, I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have totally taken the camera for granted. That Axon 7 camera is absolute $hit

18. Dave2000

19. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I'm on NEXUS 5... love it but it's time to upgrade. Would get the NEXUS 6 but is way too big for my liking.
    Any recommendations.

20. fchowd0311

Nexus 6p has a smaller profile that the Nexus 6.

The Nexus 5X is also a decent device. The display isn't that great but it's stock Android and isnt much bigger than the Nexus 5.

How much are you willing to spend?