1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

nah. cool looking phone, but the screen, warranty nightmares, and software updates steer me away. i simply don't trust this company. contempt prior to investigation, i know, but just not for me. hopefully verge's review will help them gain traction.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

One plus follows HTC's design cues. The same HTC who is losing market share by the minute. The One plus 3 is one ugly phone.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

to be fair the original HTC One was first, then Apple copied the design for the iPhone 6, and then the other companies started copying Apple, HTC included ironically.

This new phone looks no different than the original HTC One that HTC released in 2013.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

So I'm a Sprint user with an HTC One M8. I'm ready for a new phone. As I've always been with Sprint since getting smart phone, I've NEVER paid attention to how much data I use... and I use a lot. YouTube, Spotify, etc... I love that I'm not throttled, but my data signal strength is typically ok to bad (pretty terrible at work).

Long story short, I'm thinking about getting my wife and I two Nexus 6P's (or Nexus 7's, if/when they come out) and jumping on to Google Fi... mostly because of the mobile hotspot feature, their coverage map, and their whole philosophy of getting you connected to the best network available at all times (or WiFi).

Is anyone else a Google Fi customer? Pros? Cons? I've done web research, but I want the straight dope from some real MFers.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly. I have a Oneplus One, and it's been fine, but I probably won't buy from them anymore.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Got a basic question that I figured I would just ask in this thread rather than start a whole thread about...

Background that's not really relevant to the question, but read if you're bored:
    So I'll be getting my first smartphone ever pretty soon. Seems crazy, I know, but I never felt I needed one and preferred having a tiny phone bill to having functionality I didn't think I needed.

But I ended up with an iPad a few years ago after having only a desktop in my home for years, and decided it was convenient so eh, why not get an iPhone. It would integrate well with my iPad (which I plan to run into the ground, kinda like my 8-year-old Samsung flip phone), and since I've bought a bunch of apps for iOS I figure it would be dumb to switch to Android and re-buy things.

I would've bought an iPhone already, but my only criteria was I wanted Optical Image Stabilization for the camera, and I didn't want a giant phablet phone. So naturally, the 6S didn't have OIS, and the 6S Plus did but is too damn giant. I assume the iPhone 7 (or whatever they decide to call it) will have OIS in the standard model, so that's what I expect to buy come September.

So, my question(s):

What would be the pros/cons of buying an iPhone 7 direct from Apple vs from Verizon? I know "locked" vs "unlocked" phones is/was a big issue. My understanding is that Verizon sells unlocked iPhones, but that they may include some Verizon bloatware or something.

And just anything else I should know that I'm too uninformed to even ask? Like I was interested to hear modem hardware within iPhones will be different between carriers. Ya learn something new every day...

7. OmegaSupreme

^^^ i'll leave it up those who primarily use ios to respond to everything, but iirc ios 10 will allow for uninstalling bloat... even stock apps.

care to explain why?

8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I think the One Plus One intrigued alot of those looking for value. The company got arrogant on the One Plus 2 and still had the pain in the ass invite system, all the while losing a bit on the value and using their oxygen OS.
    Seems like they getting back on track for the 3.
    If I had to recommend a phone to a family member this year, probably OP3, Asus Zenfone 3 or wait for the new nexus.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

400 bucks is too much for 1+3

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Can't do bloatware on iphones. Apple doesn't allow it and will never allow it. Even Microsoft allows it on Windows Phone but they require users the option to delete it. Apple flat out won't let companies add bloatware.

Also, I wouldn't even worry about the modem thing. Apple sources hardware from multiple vendors all the time. I think they had two different versions of their main processor floating around in the 6s. It really doesn't matter. They've had different camera components, etc.. Word is they'll probably also have different touchscreens as well. The reality is that hardware vendors can't produce enough components to meet Apple's timelines so they end up having to source from multiple vendors all the time.

The only possible difference between a Verizon iphone and an unlocked iphone could be the LTE bands but Apple has gotten really good about streamlining so even those barely differ anymore. The 6s had a grand total of 1 LTE band that differed between the unlocked version from Apple and the Verizon version. And that 1 LTE band was Band 30 which is only used by AT&T in very select markets.

So the short story is, it doesn't matter where you buy an iphone from. Apple even bakes carrier specific features into the OS so features that only TMobile offers are actually in a Verizon iphone and can be activated once you insert a TMobile SIM. The only main thing to think about is warranty. If you buy it through Apple, you can get applecare which is a far superior warranty in comparison to the stuff that carriers offer. (although squaretrade has great warranty options too that can applied to any phone regardless of where you purchased it from so even that point doesn't matter much)

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Band 30 has been popping up in Houston on at&t as well as carrier aggregation. Got this result today

[​IMG]

12. OmegaSupreme

dang. :eek:

another reason for att, gophone, vzw, or vzw prepay.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Great information. Thanks for the response.

14. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

In the market for a new smartphone. I've had the HTC One M8 for two years and other than its lag, it's been a great phone (love the stereo speakers!).

Anyone know of any upcoming Android phones that might be worth waiting for? Other than the OnePlus 3.

15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I'd wait out for the HTC Nexus if I were you.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Will the HTC Nexus have inductive charging?

17. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I almost got the Nexus 6p on Prime Day. But I just saw that the ZTE Axon 7 is available for pre-order.

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_axon_7-8067.php

[​IMG]

It's got everything I want in a phone: Android OS; nice, big screen; expandable memory; and great sounding stereo speakers. Plus it's only $400 (with free headphones on NewEgg). And it'll be ready for the the Google Daydream VR platform. Seems solid.

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'm open to jumping to this from Nexus but I'm just worried how fast ZTE pushed OS updates.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've been looking at the Axon as well. I think I'll order one in a month or two, once come reviews come out.

As far as updates go, ZTE has reason to push out updates, as they're touting this as the first Daydream compatible phone, which requires an update to Android N.

20. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Serious question: Has anyone had long-term experience with a ZTE phone?

I've been waiting for the next Google Nexus in September, but this phone with a price tag of $400 seems legit. Plus it has expandable memory, with already having 64gb out of the box (prior Google Nexus 5X didn't have expandable memory and the 64GB is priced around $550).

<iframe width='640' height='480' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen src='//player.ooyala.com/static/v4/stable/4.4.11/skin-plugin/iframe.html?ec=lyY3lxMzE6V3snUb_suy8eNias99RhHO&pbid=7f2b2d0412e84a188ede8d648751dc42&pcode=A2YWQyOrkW981EwCphMZfanuq3cM'></iframe>