1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Hmm I wonder if this is what Apple wants to do with the smart connector. There have been renders of a new iphone with a smart connector on the back. Seeing what Lenovo did makes me think Apple will do the same thing with the iphone.

Overall this is a much better implementation of modular design than what LG did. Very impressed. Too bad the version with the shatterproof display and large battery is a Verizon exclusive.

#121 geeimsobored, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

palm (hp) veer did the no headphone jack thing first! :p

but seriously this needs to become the thing to do now. i know jbl has already come out with some USB type c headphones. other manufacturers will follow.

lastly, what's up with exclusivities? fall for everybody else is nexus season. : confused:

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Good call

*obligatory Veer post*

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ycv6ZGAMAf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yea, network exclusive is soooo 2007

speaking of which, I had some flashback of the Blackberry Storm, boy that was a POS

1 person likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Is it? From what I understood, they were both Verizon exclusives for the Summer, and then both would be launched worldwide in the Fall.

If my phone can hold out till Fall, I'll probably get one barring a huge price ($450 would be ideal for me).

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I went ahead and did Costgo's BOGO for two S7s, since the wife was interested in upgrading her Note 4. Two S7s for $670 with two VRs (worthless to me) and $50 in Costco cards. Not a bad deal.

6. Two Sandwiches

$670 each or $670 total?

7. Duncan McDonuts

$670 each, but there's a rebate to get one free. So it ends up being $670 total.

1 person likes this.
  8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More iPhone cases are popping up which correlate with the rumors. Larger hole for larger lens with bigger sensor or possibly double lens to double sensitivity to light.

No headphone jack and symmetrical cutout to the existing speaker. It could be to double volume and maybe they'll brand them as "beats" speakers so you could use your phone like you do an external speaker. Overall, the same form factor as the 6 and 6s.

It's too early to make any firm conclusions without seeing the improvements but this feels like the iPhone 6 SS. I'm guessing they needed another year of R+D to move on to what they think the next generation of form will be.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The rumor is next year's version won't be a "S" but the iPhone 8 because of the major redesign with OLED, curved screen, and all glass body.

10. Two Sandwiches

Great deal!

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Hearing on macrumors that iMessage is coming to Android. Now that they already have Apple Music, and iMessage on Android (if rumors are true), maybe I might switch.

I'm still interested in the Blackberry Priv despite the old android OS on it.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

don't do it... too laggy.

13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I was looking for this "rebate to get one free" on the Costco website but found nothing. Is it for your specific carrier? I have T-Mobile

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm waiting for the new Asus Zenphone 3 Deluxe to come out. I plan to get one to replace my HTC M8. It's shaping up to be a really nice phone for under $400 unlocked.

15. Duncan McDonuts

I'm not sure if it's on Costco's website but the deal ended yesterday, unfortunately. It was for T-Mobile, but T-Mobile is still running the BOGO I believe. The only difference is no Costco cash card and you have to pay the sales tax on the phones at T-Mobile.

If you're willing to wait, Samsung is likely to run another BOGO. I think this was the 4th time or something like that, so they're really trying to push phone sales.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I got a samsung Galaxy express 3 go phone for at&t at best buy yesterday. Surprised I could get a decent phone for cheap, just $50 no contract. Much better then the other throw away phones I get for 30-50$

17. Two Sandwiches

Been keeping an eye on that as well.

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Nothing in the Apple conference that will blow anyone away but there are actually a lot of great improvements in iOS 10 that are likely hard to appreciate now without knowing more about the new iPhone.

Article from The Verge going through changes.
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11921068/apple-ios-10-announced-new-iphone-features-wwdc-2016

19. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The Oneplus 3 was announced today and available for order.

https://oneplus.net/oneplus-3

Pretty interesting option at the $400 price
    -Snapdragon 820
    -64gb storage, no micro-sd card
    -6gb of RAM
    -Full LTE support for Tmobile and AT&T
    -dual sim
    -fast 'Dash' charging
    -full metal unibody build
    -3000 mah battery
    -Sony IMX298 Sensor 16mp camera
    -fingerprint reader

mkbhd review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycIpOZY03OM

20. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Good review on the One Plus 3 on the Verge (notorious Android hater) and a few other tech sites. Probably wait on the new Nexus to make decision unless youre OmegaS...

1 person likes this.