1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

CostCo is doing the free headset + gift card + extra battery + SD card + other stuff on the S7.
    [​IMG]

2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

With Tmobile, if you get 2 Galaxy s7 and open up one new line, you'll also get $665 prepaid master card.

[​IMG]

Here's the fine print:

T-Mobile Terms & Conditions
    Samsung GS7 Offer details: Offer requires purchase and activation of two Galaxy S7 smartphone on device installment plan in order to receive a mail-in rebate equal to $665.00. MasterCard pre-paid debit card fulfilled by mail-in rebate; rebate submission within 30 days of purchase receipt date. Allow up to 8 weeks for processing. Both devices must be on the same Billing Account Number ; one must be a new line of service. Limit of 2 promotional devices (with 2 qualifying purchased/activated devices). Excludes Galaxy S7 devices on Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. Galaxy S7 purchases on device installment plans made prior to this promotional offer cannot be combined with this offer. Sales tax, if applicable, applies to full retail price of each Galaxy S7 smartphone.

3. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for posting that. game changer for me, end of my samsung love affair. where will samsung's jilted exes turn?

7. geeimsobored

Honestly, I think this was a Samsung move to protect Samsung Pay. While Samsung always had an interest in keeping you on Touchwiz with their own silly app ecosystem, it grew to another level with Samsung Pay. They desperately want users and that can only happen if you stick with Touchwiz.

You also can't have root access to the OS and an NFC payment system because part of the benefit of NFC payments is that they are considered "secure" transactions for the purposes of interchange rates for credit and debit cards. This status can't exist in an environment where a user has root access to the OS. That's why Android Pay and Samsung Pay are not supposed to work on rooted devices. NFC payment solutions that use the tokenization standard from the card networks require truly secured environments for payments. And since Samsung needs more users in order to convince merchants to start supporting the NFC version of Samsung Pay (as opposed to the magnetic strip emulation), they need to boost their numbers as much as possible.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Might be making the switch from Samsung to the Nexus....

10. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

If any of these new phones had dual front-facing stereo speakers, I'd get them in a heartbeat. But since that's not the case, I'll stick with my HTC One for now. Speaking of which, I can't believe the new One M10 won't have the speakers!

11. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Why everyone trying so hard to sell the s7 lol. Buy s7 get like 5 free items. Buy s7 get a free s7 edge

12. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

It does feel good getting software updates. Latest one does noticeable improve the 6P (5X got a similar more extensive update).

In 3 months I've already gotten more updates than my Note 2 did over a 3 year period. And the phone's performance has only gotten better, not worse.

13. geeimsobored

The Nexus 6P has front facing speakers. Its a bit older but in my opinion just as good as the new phones and few hundred dollars cheaper.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm an HTC fan boy so I'm waiting on seeing the HTC M10 in the flesh before I will consider retiring my HTC One M8. I'll also wait to see what the Asus Zenphone 3 looks like before I pull the trigger.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Anybody have Straight Talk with Verizon SIM card? Debating on swapping over with my Nexus 6P

They just introduced the $55 10GB plan which is pretty much the same I have with Cricket. My grip with my service is that my data reception is terrible at Toyota Center. I thought it was because it was Cricket, but even my work phone is ATT and it's not great either.

Best coverage I've had was when I had my Verizon phone when I was still working with them in '12 but my cousin used his TMobile service a few months back and uploaded pics to Facebook with no issues.

#55 Dave2000, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Probably because Galaxy sales are on the decline.

17. geeimsobored

That's a very solid deal. Actually a really good deal if you're getting that much data. AT&T probably sucks because of congestion in downtown. I imagine Verizon probably has a DAS (so a localized network) within TC. TMobile might have the same.

But that's a hell of a deal. Verizon is still the best network in the US in most places. Although I completely despise CDMA voice now. That part kills me. It's ancient technology compared to other carriers. Even Sprint offers a better CDMA voice solution now. (and I dont think you can use VoLTE with straight talk so you're stuck with 1x voice quality)

18. jchu14

LG G5 is officially launching on March 31st and tmobile just announced their pre-order bundle. There is also unconfirmed Best Buy pricing for other carriers.

For T-mobile, you get a LG 360 Cam, an extra battery, and a battery charging station if you pre-order. The price is $630 off contract.

If this were any other year, that's not a bad price and bundle at all for a brand new flagship. But that bundle pales in comparison with the promotions Samsung gave out for the Galaxy S7. The 360 Cam seems like the least useful 'LG Friends' to me.

I'm looking forward to the reviews though. I applaud LG's innovative spirit and hope that they do well. With HTC not doing well and Sony not really focused on the US market, LG and Motorola are the only big names left in the flagship game.

19. jchu14

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It strikes me more that Samsung is trying to grab more of the Iphone market share. It looks like Samsung will be pushing more of new every year trade in program. Verizon has stated that you will be able to trade in your Galaxy for a new one each year.