1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. hlcc

hlcc Member

the seller can do that and no there's nothing you can do to protect yourself.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Stay safe and use Swappa.com for used phones

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not much of a power user, but as far as the screen goes, they're pretty much about the same, though I think I may have liked the Note 7's a bit more. The colors just seemed a bit more vibrant. I was never a huge fan of the Edge, but do admit I liked being able to run apps from the Edge "trays" more than the secondary screen up top on the V20. Both of them can be kind of annoying if you fat finger the edges of the phone reaching for notifications at the top on the V20 or an icon right edge of the Note 7 and accidentally launch something, though. The sound/speakers on the Note 7 didn't even sound good to me as my old LG G3. The speaker didn't pack any kind of punch and using the same headphones on both the Note and V20, it seems like I had to crank the volume on the Note halfway, just to get decent (ok, maybe a bit more than decent) volume. Even listening to sports talk, the voices sound a lot better on the V20 than on the Note. Music sounds better on the V20 than on the Note 7 to me, as well. Note 7's audio just sounded flat in comparison to the V20's in general. They both have the micro-SD slot and I'm using the free 256GB from the Samsung promo on the V20. I won't need more memory for a while. lol. Also, of course, the V20 has the replaceable battery. Phone call quality on both have been about the same, but for some reason I keep thinking the Note 7 may have had slightly better reception around the same areas, but I could just be imagining that. And even if true, the difference for me wasn't huge. I haven't used the camera much on the V20, so I can't really compare.

Like I said, I'm not much of a power user, but in terms of looks/design, I liked the Note 7 and thought it was a great phone, but at times thought the curved edge made the phone a bit restrictive or something. The stylus was great, but not something I ended up using all that much. With its complete glass enclosure, it looked "sexier" than the V20, but for the average joe user like me, either phone would be great. The one thing where the V20 blew the Note 7 I had out of the water, like I mentioned before, was the sound quality of the speaker and just listening to audio with the headphones. The Note 7 was a step down from my previous LG G3 in that regard and is nowhere near as good as the V20.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Anyone have any advice/tips/leads on how to get a primary-market (i.e. no craigslist, etc) S7 Edge for use on T-Mobile as cheaply as possible?

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'd go with swappa if you are ok with used phones (they sometimes have new ones on there too).

If you want to buy from a retailer, wait till black friday. Just google galaxy s7 edge black friday. There have been leaks everywhere that most retailers will be giving some sort of rebate/gift card for up to $250.

DonnyMost likes this.
  6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

what's the latest or best HTC phone right now?

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The Google Pixel is built by HTC if that counts. It has many of the staples of an HTC phone except it is missing boomsound. Otherwise, your best bet is the HTC 10 (which was a great phone even though it hasn't sold well). The 10 is the first phone in the HTC One line that has a good camera and it has HTC's standard metal design which I personally like. The Pixel has a pretty good camera as well (minus the lens flare issues).

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'm giving up on my LeEco Pro 3, after an update last Thursday, I've had issues charging it where I have to reboot it to get it to charge again, same thing with Bluetooth. I have 15 days after it was delivered on 11/5, so I've submitted my return request.

Now debating on getting the OnePlus 3T now

https://oneplus.net/3t/overview

$479 for 128GB with same processor as Pixel (Snapdragon 821), 6GB of RAM, 16MP camera rear and front, should be getting updates just like their previous phones

not too shabby......

#488 Dave2000, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    ramotadab likes this.
  9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've been rocking the Nexus 6P on Google's ProjectFi service since July - and while I love the phone service, the phone is pretty terrible (the battery life). I do want the Google Pixel+, but the price is freaking ridiculous. $769 for the 32GB. I paid $400 for my Nexus 6P, not sure why in the hell it warrants twice the price.

I'm holding out hope for an x86 Surface Phone from Microsoft by mid 2017 when they announce the new Surface Pro 5.

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I'd reallyyyyy like to go from my Nexus 6P to this, but have Verizon.

11. Svpernaut

I may be snagging a OnePlus 3T in the future, just waiting on reviews. With Project Fi I'd only have T-Mobile coverage, but in Houston that's not terrible.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I ordered a pixel.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

T-Mobile has a the following deals for Black Friday and "Magenta Friday" (tomorrow 11/18):

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...ng-free-lines-free-galaxy-s7-accessory-sales/

Tempted to get the Galaxy S7 for my wife (and trade in her S6) and also get the free Gear VR. Although it doesnt mention much else, I'm wondering if there is any catch to it (i.e. pay taxes, if bill credits are lump sum or monthly, etc.)

Also, the ad states that you can trade in an "other device". I have a Galaxy S5, I wonder if I qualify as well? Or even my old Galaxy S3?

#493 TMac'n, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Did you get clarification on if your S5 qualifies? "other device" is so vague.

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Really considering the lgv20. I just got my dad the Moto g4 and I really liked that phone. It's sleek and smooth. But of course I need something better with a lot more memory.....Ive had a lgg3 for the last 2yrs and that phone has been a headache for the last year. The worst thing about it is the screen and how faded out they made it. The brightness is garbage especially outside. Did they do a similar thing in the lgv20?

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

So I called T-Mobile and they told me the following:

1. The S5 can be traded to get the S7, but the phone will be $100 instead of free
    2. There are other phones you can get with the deal:
      1. If you trade in S6 or Note 5 - Galaxy S7 Edge or LG V20 = $100
      2. If I trade in my S5 - Galaxy S7 Edge or LG V20 = $200
    3. They will apply a bill credit for 24 months. If you opt for $100 option, it will be about $4/month, if you opt for $200 option, it will be about $8/month
    4. My old S3 does not qualify :(. I'll bring it anyways on Black Friday just to try at the store
    5. The sale for the phone is on Thanksgiving Thurs 11/24 - Sun 11/27
    6. there is no limit on phones, so both me and my wife can get a phone.

My wife wants the the regular S7 (for free) and also get the Gear VR (for free), and I'm going to get the LG V20 for $200

ubigred, shastarocket and BiGGieStuFF like this.
  17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Thanks for looking that up.

found more info on reddit as well. Looks like someone contacted t-mobile. Additional phones qualify as well.

More details from T-force: Thanks you so much for hanging in there for me! I did find the information I was looking for. The promotion for Trade Your Superphone and Get the Samsung GS7 for Free that runs between 11/24 and 11/27 does not include the J7. You would need to trade in a Samsung GS6, 6 edge, 6 edge +, Note 5, LG G5 to get a GS7 free, GS7 edge for $100, LG V20 for $100. A Note 4, Samsung GS5, LG G4, Lg V10 trade in would score you a GS7 for $100, GS7 Edge for $200, LG V20 for $200. In addition, the new phone must be financed on EIP and the trade I device must be paid off. I know this likely does not help you if you only have a J7, but I wanted you to be fully informed. *KirstenH

ubigred, shastarocket and TMac'n like this.
  18. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

SAN FRANCISCO (CNNMoney) - Apple is recognizing that "Touch Disease" is a thing.

The tech company is rolling out a repair program to fix iPhone 6 Plus devices with unresponsive touchscreen features.

The term "Touch Disease" refers to the touchscreen issues that surface after the phone undergoes stress, like being dropped on the floor several times. In many cases, iPhone users have complained the touchscreen will entirely stop working for several months.

In August, repair site iFixit discovered that the issue stemmed from faulty chips inside the devices. When the phone is dropped or bent, the chips become loose. At the time, iFixit called the issue "Touch Disease" -- and it was quickly adopted by the internet.

Now, the company is willing to repair affected devices for $149 -- as long as your screen isn't cracked and the phone is in working order.

Apple said on its website it "determined that some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit display flickering or multi-touch issues after being dropped multiple times on a hard surface and then incurring further stress on the device."

Although some iPhone 6 users have also reported the issue, Apple's fix only applies to the larger-sized iPhone 6 Plus.

The company added it will reimburse people if they already fixed devices through Apple service providers for more than $149.

Following widespread reports of the problem, "Touch Disease" -- on both sizes of the iPhone 6 -- has accounted for up to 22% of repairs at Apple Stores, according to tech site Apple Insider.

Apple is facing class action lawsuits in California, Utah, and Canada over "Touch Disease." The complaints allege Apple knew about the faulty touchscreens and didn't do anything about it.

These cases are not yet resolved

http://www.click2houston.com/news/apple-will-fix-iphone-6-plus-devices-with-touch-disease

ubigred likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Samsung has a few phones that meltdown, they do a full recall. Those recall's allegedly have issues so they recall and scuttle the whole line.

Apple has a systemic problem and charge the customer $150.00 to repair their flaw. #notmyphone

ubigred, Dave2000 and OmegaSupreme like this.
  20. Svpernaut

My dream day is almost here. I am a huge fan of Windows Phone - and have been since 2010. Last year I moved to iOS for a year, and have been on Android for about five months and can't freaking wait for the Surface Phone! I've long said that the long game for Windows Phone was x86 apps, and was patiently waiting for improved batteries to allow for an x86 mobile chipset to be used in a phone.

Well, Microsoft's emulation technology is about to bust the mobile game wide open. If anyone knows how impressive Xbox 360 backward compatibility is on the Xbox One, as far as the emulation magic that happens - you can imagine how awesome x86 apps are going to be on Windows 10 Mobile. Not having to carry a tablet or laptop shall be glorious.

I had heard a few rumors about "Cobalt" from a few people I know at MS, but I had no idea it would be out this soon.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-windows-10-redstone-3-fall-2017-deliverable/
    Microsoft's x86 on ARM64 emulation: A Windows 10 'Redstone 3' Fall 2017 feature
    Microsoft is planning to enable x86 on ARM64 emulation in Windows 10 by Fall 2017 with its 'Redstone 3' release, sources say, thanks to codename 'Cobalt.'

Since January 2016 (and maybe before), there's been talk that Microsoft was working on bringing x86 emulation to ARM processors. Sources of mine are now saying that this capability is coming to Windows 10, though not until "Redstone 3" in the Fall of 2017.

Here's why this matters: Microsoft officials continue to claim that Continuum -- the capability that will allow Windows 10 Mobile devices to connect to external displays and keyboards -- is going to be a key for the company, its partners and its customers. There's been one very big limitation to Continuum so far, however: It only allows users to run Universal Windows Platform (UWP), and not full-fledged x86 apps.

What if an ARM64-based device could run x86 apps via emulation, the same way that the WOW (Windows on Windows) emulator allowed 32-bit apps to run on 64-bit Windows? That would make Windows 10 Mobile, which as of now, continues to support ARM only, and Continuum a lot more interesting, especially to business users who need certain Win32/line-of-business apps.

Last night, @h0x0d, WalkingCat on Twitter, found a reference to what he termed "Windows's hybrid x86-on-ARM64 tech." He noted that this technology seemingly has a new name, "CHPE."
    [​IMG]<span
    My sources say the "C" in this stands for "Cobalt," which is the codename for x86 emulation on ARM. (Cobalt also is Mojang-related, as is Redstone.)

My guess is the HP here is HP, as HP has been working increasingly closely with Microsoft on its Windows 10 PCs and the HP Elite x3 Windows Phone. (Maybe the "E" is for emulation?)

HP officials told me a month or so ago that the majority of enterprise users of its Elite x3 who wanted to run x86 apps via Continuum already had some kind of remote-desktop capabilities, primarily via Citrix, that enabled them to access their x86/line-of-business apps. HP reworked its HP Workspace viruatization service so that it targeted smaller business customers who didn't have x86 app access but lacked corporate remote-desktop access to be able to tap into their x86 apps.

A solid emulation capability included in the operating system would lessen, if not obviate completely, the need for these kinds of virtualization services, at least in theory.

Know exactly where your problem areas are with SolarWinds® Virtualization Manager. Get a quick performance pulse from VM to storage, highlighting bottlenecks & resource contention along the way. Try Virtualization Manager for free!

White Papers provided by SolarWinds
    [​IMG]
    The "Cobalt" x86 emulation on ARM is currently on the list of features that Microsoft is planning to make part of "Redstone 3," the version of Windows 10 that sources have said will be available in the Fall of 2017, my sources say. That date lines up with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 830 chip -- or whatever the actual part number ends up being of Snapdragon Qualcomm's "MSM8998" -- which would have the kind of virtualization capabilities that a robust emulator in Windows 10 would require.

I'm hearing this Cobalt technology is aimed at phone and possibly tablet/desktop devices, not servers. I'd expect the initial target audience for devices with the x86 emulator on ARM64 would be aimed at business users, as they're the ones who most need x86/line-of-business apps.

Does this mean those persistent rumors of a Surface Phone coming in late 2017 or 2018 might be more than wishful thinking? I don't know, but I've continued to hear Microsoft still hasn't completely thrown in the towel on some kind of a Windows 10 Mobile device targeted at business users. And the head of Windows and Devices did tell me recently that "both cellular connectivity and ARM processors have a role in the technical landscape of the future." So make of that what you will.

I've asked both Microsoft and HP for comment on CHPE/Cobalt. I'll update this post with whatever responses, if any, I eventually get.

Update: An HP spokesperson said HP had no comment. A Microsoft spokesperson said "We have nothing to share."

BiGGieStuFF and ramotadab like this.