1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Not getting mine until the 11th. Android pay stopped working yesterday. Folks were able to determine its because of safety net compliance failing due to unlocked bootloader. I'm scared of the direction android is headed.

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i've seen a couple of folks mention their orders have gone to processing and they had mid-november estimated shipping dates.

anyway, i saw that bootloader issue on reddit last night. that is indeed a big line they crossed. i had already decided that i wouldn't root unless ads get to be too intrusive, but yeah... this is pretty bad. wouldn't be surprised if chainfire or somebody (he's giving up complete control of supersu in one year) patches the bootloader and we'll be able to flash in fastboot or adb sideload. an unnecessary penismove from google nonetheless.

ubigred likes this.
  3. BiGGieStuFF

The only silver lining for me is that I don't do much with an unlocked bootloader now a days. I typically just push OTAs instead of waiting for it to come down the pipeline, but if Google and Verizon can push out updates quicker than the way it's done in the past, I may not have to worry about that BUT from time to time there is just a killer feature I want to test out and I'll go the root route to try it. Google attempting to take that option away from us doesn't go over well with me but I will adapt for now.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Now that the Pixel is out for me I'm teetering back and forth between the S7 Edge and the Moto Z Play.

I think it is going to come down to who offers the best deal on one over the Holidays, as my upgrade date is dangerously close to black Friday.

I'd be perfectly happy with either one, but if the price ends up nearly equal (currently it's $792 vs $408) I'd be a fool to not go with the S7 Edge, right?

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

FWIW, I love the S7 Edge. 2 months in and It's been GREAT. I'm not super tech-savvy though... I don't root or run custom roms or anything.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

S7 Edge

Samsung will surely pay extra attention to it because the Note 7 blunder

7. Victorious

Victorious Member

So my Nexus 5X turned into a brick over the weekend! :mad: First time I ever had a phone die on me. I'm all stock too, no rooting or unlocking of the bootloader. Apparently a lot of Nexus have been bricking lately. Google said its a hardware issue but I would wait until Android 7.1 to upgrade to a new version. I was on the latest android 7.0 update.

My Pixel comes in today so thats cool but I didn't back up anything on my nexus and i lost it all!! Damn near a year of my life was in that phone lol. That sucks. Project Fi will be sending a replacement (refurbished) which I plan on selling to offset the Pixel price.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well, I was looking for a replacement for my aging HTC M8. I looked hard at the ZTE Axon 7, Asus Zenfone 3, the One Plus 3, the HTC 10 and the Pixel. I settled on the HTC 10 because it does everything I want and need plus I'm very happy with the quality of the HTC brand. On top of that it was $150 off at htc.com. I've owned the M7 & M8 and they were light years ahead of the Samsung Galaxys that I had before. Originally, I was going to get the Zenfone 3 but the heavy UI and bloatware soured me on it. The HTC 10 UI is very clean and integrates well with Android. Plus, moving from the M8 to the 10 will be a breeze using their built-in app for migrating to another phone. I did look really hard at the Pixel but it was too much like an iPhone for my taste plus the price was just too steep.

9. OmegaSupreme

can't go wrong with the htc 10. after owning it for a short while, i'll say it's the most underrated phone of the year. the screen, though not amoled is still 2k and speakers are still top notch despite the different setup. the build of that phone is very, very nice.

so how are you liking the pixel?

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Really curious to know why Google is taking this long to re-stock and add more orders for the Pixel XL. I haven't been able to put in an order yet.

11. OmegaSupreme

this is for you:

Pixel (all variants) instant add-to-cart macro:

https:// www.

reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/56o0s4/pixel_all_variants_instant_addtocart_macro/

you have to put together the link. my post would have been pages long if i put it together.

ubigred and ItsMyFault like this.
  12. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Anybody going to jump on the LeEco Le Pro 3 with a Snapdragon 821 for $299.00 with $100.00 instant rebate on Nov 2?

13. hlcc

hlcc Member

ramotadab likes this.
  14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

ramotadab likes this.
  15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

T-Mobile has a deal for the LG V20 currently out that seems promising. Wanted to get Clutchfan's opinion:

http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-lg-v20-pre-sale-deal-722606/

I'm thinking about trading my old Galaxy S3 that sits in my dresser drawer, but not sure how the "$200 credit" is applied.

What do u guys think?

#435 TMac'n, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    ramotadab likes this.
  16. BiGGieStuFF

Looks like you'll get the trade-in credit via an e-check. The estimate of your trade-in is about 2 bucks which comes off immediately off your new device, but the rest (198) comes in the form of an e-check that I'm guessing you can apply to your account. I think that's better than some of the carriers that offer you 200-300 credit but applies the credit over 24 months which forces you to stay with that carrier in order to get the full credit. There is more detailed information on the promotion at their direct page.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/lg-v20-pre-sale.htm

TMac'n and ramotadab like this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Heard their support and update philosophy are abysmal.

ubigred and ramotadab like this.
  18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Perfectly happy with my S6 Edge + still, but it will be interesting when it comes down to Pixel vs S8. I like bigger screens. That Xiaomi Mix is ****ing beautiful. Wish it was coming to the US.

Dave2000 likes this.
  19. hlcc

hlcc Member

you can probably buy the mix through resellers like gearbest.com