1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Feb 24, 2016.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hope he's there rd2

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Got word from the Ohio State pro day. <a href="https://twitter.com/BraxtonMiller5">@BraxtonMiller5</a> timed at 4.33 and 4.36</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/708309827836112897">March 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ohio State DE Joey Bosa improved from 24 to 28 reps in the bench, and ran in the mid-4.7s in the 40, per a couple teams' stopwatches.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/708312844039790592">March 11, 2016</a></blockquote>

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Is Miller a deep threat?
    Would he return kicks?
    Would he be the gunner on punts?
    Can he run the jet sweep?
    Would he take Akeem Hunt off the roster?

So many possibilities.

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Wait...so you're saying its not Daryll Murrays? :grin:

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Anybody know anything about David Morgan the TE out of UTSA? Right now I think he is projected to be a day 3 guy but I really thing he is intriguing. I don't know if he is great at anyone thing but he isn't bad at anything either. He is a pretty good blocker, very strong, athletic, former basketball player so he has hops and knows how to attack the football, and has decent speed for a TE. In a weak TE class I think he is one of the guys that could come from nowhere and produce.

Also another guy I think we should be watching is Cody Kessler out of USC... Yes we got our QB and yes we drafted Savage but I really like Kessler's decision making and accuracy especially when he is being overlooked by alot of people. He probably wont be a impact Starter because he doesn't have ideal arm strength but I could see him being a 10 year backup.

Any thoughts on these guys?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morgan is a strange player. He's slow as crap and strong as hell. Makes you think he's a blocking tight end, right? Wrong.

UTSA plays him as a move tight end, and he is their main receiving target. He has very good hands. They split him out and put him in the slot and move him all over in addition to lining him up inline. Just to reiterate, his biggest issue is foot speed. His 40 at the combine was over 5 seconds, which is offensive lineman territory. His feet are really heavy when he runs. He looks like he's running in mud. However, he performed reasonably well on the 3 cone and the shuttle drills, so it's just straight line speed. He managed 29 reps in the bench press. For comparison, the #1 TE, Hunter Henry managed 13. If he can block at the NFL, he might be a guy who has a place running little safety valves and whatnot. He's never going to be a deep threat. I would think he would have difficulty separating from defenders, but he uses his body really well, like a power forward posting up.

He really reminds me of the tight ends I used to watch growing up. Guys like Mark Bavaro. He tries to run through DB's, rather than running away from them. People want hyper-athletic deep threat tight ends these days. I think a bunch of teams just don't want someone like him - he's not the flavor of the moment. But I agree he's interesting. TE's are hybrids between o linemen and wide recievers. These days, most TE's act like wide receivers playing at being linemen. He's more a lineman playing at being a wide receiver, but he can do it pretty well. Maybe someone creative can find a good use for him. Even so, if does get drafted before the 6th or 7th round I'll be shocked. He might end up a UFA.

Late round TE's that have caught my eye are him, and the tight end from Harvard, Ben Braunecker. Both of them have the same problem. They play in second tier leagues, and you kind of have to use your imagination when projecting them to the NFL.

They have 1 video over at Draft Breakdown:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h7Pr9Uzzuas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#186 Ottomaton, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

That David Morgan could be a goal line threat used correctly. And damn that QB looked awful in that draft video he was in.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Dak Prescott charged with DUI.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Dak Prescott arrested early Saturday morning for DUI in Starkville <a href="https://t.co/yAcAVKgaGi">https://t.co/yAcAVKgaGi</a></p>&mdash; Michael Bonner (@MikeBBonner) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/708851196690190337">March 13, 2016</a></blockquote>

I don't get why people still drive drunk.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

how far do you think this drops him? I really wanted to gamble on him in the later rounds but I think he just crossed like 25 teams off his list. Nobody wants another Manziel.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Depends if he can be suspended by the NFL. If so, then he might be a day 3.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Manziel never got a DUI

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

An alcoholic club rat. (ex Manziel, Lawson. etc)

Who knows this is probably just a 1 time mistake....... but most teams won't care.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

smh...The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Let's forget for a moment that you shouldnt drive drunk...he does this just before the biggest day of his life. Wow.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

10 MOST OVERRATED 2016 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS

1. Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
    2. Willie Beavers, OT, Western Michigan
    3. A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
    4. Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State
    5. Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
    6. Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
    7. Deion Jones, LB, LSU
    8.Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
    9. Le’Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech
    10. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

10 MOST UNDERRATED 2016 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS

1. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
    2. Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
    3. William Jackson III, CB, Houston
    4. Scooby Wright III, LB, Arizona
    5. Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers
    6. Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame
    7. Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State
    8. Shilique Calhoun, DE/OLB, Michigan State
    9. Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
    10. Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

How is William Jackson III underrated? Some have him mocked in the top 10.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, and how is Coleman underrated? He's quickly becoming overrated IMO.

Can't run go routes in the NFL all day and run past DBs like you did in the Big 12.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a lot of overrated offensive lineman and only one O-lineman in the underrated. Interesting.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

And Cody Whitehair is pretty much the only guard anyone talks about as a real prospect. Not sure how he is underrated. I do like Shepherd (in the 2nd) and Scooby (3rd or 4th). I'm reading a lot about Carroo now as a sleeper. Not sure what to think of him.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Read a really good breakdown of the Baylor-style offense and the reads/responsibilities of the QB, RB, and WRs. The lack of route-variety is purely a product of the system, but think there is legitimate concern about these players transitioning to the league.

His highest drop rates come from routes going across the field which is a pretty big red flag. It makes it even more difficult to analyze since the sample size is so small.