1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-43] Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Zhou Qi?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

67.8%
  2. NO

32.2%
  1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

"Qi" is a great word to use on Words With Friends

2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

He actually measured at 218.2lb with 4.85% body fat at the NBA combine last month. I think with better nutrition and strength training regimen, ZQ can gain another 10-15lb in a year. He's starting at the same weight as Kevin Garnett did when KG came to the league.

I do think this is a high risk high reward type of pick. Considering GSW bought the 38th pick for only $2.4million, the 43rd pick isn't really worth much at all.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All this stuff in here about racism, this/that.....BS.

What upsets many of us about this pick is that it's representative/emblematic of Les's modus operandi during his tenure as owner.

Bottom line is that it perfectly illustrates the problem with our Rockets...

Hopefully, with the MDA hire and now, this....those that don't already have their eyes open will have an "I see", said the Salamander moment.

AND, the upheaval that follows on the board is frustrating...to say the least.

All this said, of course I'll always cheer our guys on.

BUT, SELL LES, SELL!!

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not really sure that's true. The guy has similar measurables to Rudy Gobert, can handle the ball like a SF, and can shoot the ball. If he was from some random African country he'd be hailed as a great value pick by the same people who are dismissing him solely because he's Chinese. It's really sad to see.

This is a no risk high reward sort of pick, there's no reason whatsoever to complain....and yet.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Great post, 100% agree.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, that pissed me off when I got the receiving end of it, on a triple word.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No such thing as a high risk 2nd round pick. High reward? Yes.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I hope he pans out. The kid is way to skinny...but there is some real fire with this kid. And he has a really nice shot...

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

For those who believe this is a Les/$$$ pick, how do you suggest the Rockets/Les make money from China if Zhou is never good enough to get on the court/make an impact?

If Zhou is not even good enough to see any playing time, why would anyone in China spend money on the Rockets? If anything, it would only attract complaints about wasting him away.

Yao was a money machine for Les because he was GOOD and became a star. Zhou would only be profitable for Les if he is at least useful, which is more than you can ask for most low second rounders.

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I hate Les and MDA but this is almost a throwaway pick. Just like when the board got into a tizzy when Les and CD huddled up in 2003 and picked up Malick Badiane. Its that $engale$e money he's after!

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Zhou Qi may well never amount to anything. But then the same is true about any second round pick. At least the guy's got some physical attributes that indicate upside.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I think we have become spoiled just based on the success that the Rockets have had from the 2nd round picks. Yes...he doesnt fit that mold of players that we believe can have success. But this is a 2ND round pick. If they dont work out, IT shouldnt matter as a majority of late round picks fizzle out with time.

Zhou Qi is going to have a lot of work to do, but playing in a D League will get him accustomed to a more physical and punishing brand of ball. Something a player like YAO never had... If he can find success there, he may have a chance to carve out a nice career.

There are several things that I like about him as a basketball player...He appears to be competitive, he can defend, he is tall and has long a$$ arms, and he has a really nice jumper. If he can gain about 15-20 pounds over 2 years without negatively impacting his positives...he can make it.

I think most of us, myself included are just pissed off at LES...

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jEK_d-SFfCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

This is not a true statement. If he's someone from other countries, you will think this one will be a good pick.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope they taped this year's war room and someone snapchat DeMarcus Cousins' reaction after each pick/decision the Kings made.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don't think people are upset that this pick may have a low chance of working out, that should be the default outlook for any low second rounder and people should know that already. The complaint seems to be that this pick was made purely for financial reasons by the owner. Which makes no sense, since there would be no financial gain if Zhou never amounts to anything.

17. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Yao 0.2

18. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Just publicity alone in China is quite worth it. Chinese Media will follow the only Chinese NBA player and it is free advertisement for Les.

19. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

If he was from Greece/Europe, there would be no discussion of this pick being made for marketing purposes. He would just be another late 2nd round pick that no one would really talk about.

Anyway I think there's also a deep concern about the potential return of the YOF or LOF or rather ZOF and all the BS that populated the GARM when we had a Asian player on the team. My answer to that is just learn from the other forums and moderate the heck out of any such ZOF discussions. Just keep the crazies on both sides in their own padded thread.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is about Les's other business ventures/cronies over there. Dude's made a BILLION through Far East connects since Yao. Keep the spice flowing.

It's a favor/ part of the deal.

#360 Plowman, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016