1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2015.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

FOR NON-INSIDERS: Keith Law's final mock is up. For those without ESPN Insider, see below:

http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/insider/post?id=2770

Thursday, June 9, 2016
    Keith Law's final MLB Mock Draft (4.0)
    By Keith Law

I've talked to so many people, but with the teams at the top all fairly insistent that they haven't decided who they're taking -- including the Phillies with the first pick -- I could keep changing this all night. It's the middle of the night as I type this, and I'm calling it. We will update this over the course of the day as more info comes in.

1. Philadelphia Phillies
    Mickey Moniak, OF
    La Costa Canyon HS (Carlsbad, California)

I've heard them with A.J. Puk and Kyle Lewis and to a lesser extent Corey Ray and Blake Rutherford, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of those guys is taken here. It's going to depend on the price tags; if the Phillies can save $1 million by taking the No. 2 player on their board and then apply that money to sign pick 42 to an overslot deal, they'll do so. And they should -- it's exactly what the current CBA encourages teams to do.

2. Cincinnati Reds
    A.J. Puk, LHP
    Florida

They also like Nick Senzel and Corey Ray, and are also high on Moniak. The Reds have the largest pool of any team (most draft money), and just as importantly, they get to pick again before the Phillies or Braves do.

3. Atlanta Braves
    Kyle Lewis, OF
    Mercer

If they take Ian Anderson here, which I'm hearing is a very strong possibility, it'll be with an eye toward big spending at picks 40 and 44 on prep players who fell due to signability concerns.

4. Colorado Rockies
    Riley Pint, RHP
    St. Thomas Aquinas HS (Overland Park, Kansas)

If it's not Pint, it'll be Moniak (if he falls), or maybe Dakota Hudson or Cody Sedlock.

5. Milwaukee Brewers
    Corey Ray, OF
    Louisville

Delvin Perez had a real chance to go here before his positive PED test, which seems to have dropped him substantially down the board. It seems like Ray would be the pick, over Nick Senzel, and it could be Moniak if he slips to here.

6. Oakland Athletics
    Nick Senzel, 3B
    Tennessee

Oakland could take Braxton Garrett as well, and they're also a possibility for Jason Groome.

7. Miami Marlins
    Jason Groome, LHP
    Barnegat (New Jersey) HS

Groome announced the other day that he has recommitted to Chipola Junior College, which would allow him to enter the 2017 draft -- but that class is loaded with college arms and may not be more favorable for him. Braxton Garrett also has been a favorite here for a while, as has Pint.

8. San Diego Padres
    Braxton Garrett, LHP
    Florence (Alabama) HS

They could go with Garrett or Matt Manning, but don't be surprised to see a college bat here (maybe Ray?) and then have them use later picks to roll the dice on high-upside high school guys like Will Benson.

9. Detroit Tigers
    Blake Rutherford, OF
    Chaminade College Prep (West Hills, California)

Pint is the guy the Tigers have wanted most of the spring, but if he's not here, they could take Rutherford or Dakota Hudson. I've heard them linked to Zack Burdi, but I think that's based on their old style of drafting college relievers when they picked in the 20s.

10. Chicago White Sox
    Dakota Hudson, RHP
    Mississippi State

They could also be in on Rutherford or Ray here. I've heard they're unlikely to take Zack Collins.

11. Seattle Mariners
    Justin Dunn, RHP
    Boston College

I've heard them with college players, and everyone is saying Dunn is their guy. But if a college bat like Ray falls to here, I could see them jumping on them.

12. Boston Red Sox
    Zack Collins, C
    Miami

They could do Matt Thaiss over Collins, or Rutherford if he gets here, but they seem to have cooled a bit on Nolan Jones.

13. Tampa Bay Rays
    Gavin Lux, SS
    Indian Trail Academy (Kenosha, Wisconsin)

They've been tied to Lux lately, as well as Rutherford, and I think they're the high mark for Josh Lowe.

14. Cleveland Indians
    Forrest Whitley, RHP
    Alamo Heights (San Antonio) HS

I've also heard them on Cal Quantrill, who supposedly has five offers in the teens.

15. Minnesota Twins
    Matt Manning, RHP
    Sheldon (Sacramento) HS

I've also heard them with Hudson and Whitley … mostly with power arms of all stripes. I had had them taking Kyle Muller in an earlier mock, but that now seems unlikely.

16. Los Angeles Angels
    Alex Kirilloff, OF
    Plum HS (Pittsburgh)

I've also heard them with Matt Thaiss, Hudson and Josh Lowe.

17. Houston Astros
    Cody Sedlock, RHP
    Illinois

I've heard them possibly taking Whitley too, as well as Eric Lauer and T.J. Zeuch.

18. New York Yankees
    Ian Anderson, RHP
    Shenendehowa HS (Clifton Park, New York)

This apparently is a stopping point for Anderson, who could go as early as third. They're also in on Kevin Gowdy (who apparently has a huge number out now), Taylor Trammell, Kirilloff and Matt Thaiss.

19. New York Mets
    Matt Thaiss, C
    Virginia

They're after a college bat and could get Thaiss or Collins, with pitcher Anthony Kay also a possibility if the bats they like are gone.

20. Los Angeles Dodgers
    Delvin Perez, SS
    International Baseball Academy (Puerto Rico)

Perez is in a freefall after testing positive for a PED, and many teams that previously were on him have backed off or at least reconsidered. The Dodgers have three of the draft's first 36 picks and are in prime position to take on risk like this to get a player who was, at least earlier this spring, considered one of the best tools prospects in the class. I've also heard them with Lux and Sedlock here.

21. Toronto Blue Jays
    Anthony Kay, LHP
    Connecticut

I've primarily heard them with college arms this week, with Kay and Eric Lauer being possibilities, as well as Sedlock if he's still here. I had previously heard them linked to Lux and Bo Bichette as well.

22. Pittsburgh Pirates
    Nolan Jones, SS
    Holy Ghost Prep (Bensalem, Pennsylvania)

I've heard them with Taylor Trammell, Zack Burdi and Thaiss as well.

23. St. Louis Cardinals
    Cal Quantrill, RHP
    Stanford

They're also in on T.J. Zeuch, Thaiss, Drew Mendoza and Will Craig.

Compensation picks

With the first round being unusually short this year, I'll also predict the sandwich-round selections, the 11 picks awarded to teams that lost free agents who declined qualifying offers.

24. San Diego Padres
    Josh Lowe, 3B/RHP
    Pope HS (Marietta, Georgia)

They'd love it if Manning got this far for an overslot deal, but that seems unlikely.

25. San Diego Padres
    Eric Lauer, LHP
    Kent State

They're on Quantrill if he's still here, as well as Florida Gators pitcher Dane Dunning -- the obvious tie being college starters -- and could be on Hudson Sanchez too.

26. Chicago White Sox
    Zack Burdi, RHP
    Louisville

I was told this is a "lock" if Burdi gets this far.

27. Baltimore Orioles
    T.J. Zeuch, RHP
    Pittsburgh

I've also heard them with prep infielder Joe Rizzo for a later pick.

28. Washington Nationals
    Carter Kieboom, IF
    Walton HS (Marietta, Georgia)

They're also on Drew Mendoza if he's signable, as well as Ole Miss outfielder J.B. Woodman, who led the Cape Cod League last summer with 51 strikeouts in 139 plate appearances.

29. Washington Nationals
    Dane Dunning, RHP
    Florida

Look for them to try to do a deal with Illinois prep outfielder Jordan McFarland with a later pick.

30. Texas Rangers
    Taylor Trammell, OF
    Mount Paran Christian (Kennesaw, Georgia)

Try to hide your surprise that they might take a Georgia prep outfielder with big tools. They're also linked to Will Benson and Florida center fielder Buddy Reed.

31. New York Mets
    Bryan Reynolds, OF
    Vanderbilt

I've heard they'd like to get an arm here, but the most likely names are all either gone (Kay, Lauer, Dunning) or unsignable.

32. Los Angeles Dodgers
    Jordan Sheffield, RHP
    Vanderbilt

I thought they might take Sheffield at 20, but with Sheffield's last two starts being poor -- one was the day after the death of teammate Donny Everett -- he may have slipped a little, as there were already questions about his ability to remain a starter. They're also likely to look at Louisville catcher Will Smith at 36 and have some interest in West Michigan starter Keegan Akin, Oklahoma shortstop Sheldon Neuse and prep infielder Bo Bichette.

33. St. Louis Cardinals
    Jon Duplantier, RHP
    Rice University

Duplantier had a huge comeback season -- he ranks second in Division I in strikeouts -- after missing all of 2015 with a sore shoulder, and he scores well both analytically and from a scouting perspective, although Rice coach Wayne Graham overusing Duplantier in the regional last weekend was not good for the kid in any way.

34. St. Louis Cardinals
    Will Craig, 3B/1B
    Wake Forest

Getting Craig here would be a rather ideal scenario for the Cardinals, getting someone they might have considered at pick 23 back at 34. Craig had a huge year for Wake Forest but encounters skepticism because he struggled so much on the Cape last summer.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

anybody want anyone in particular? first year in a long time i havent done any research

3. awc713

awc713 Member

Just some random fan's perspective:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Alright, here's my list of prospects I would like in draft in order:<br>Groome<br>Collins<br>Whitley<br>Burdi<br>Lowe<br>Sedlock<br>Lauer</p>&mdash; 'Stros Of Crush City (@Astros_Arsenal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Astros_Arsenal/status/740752356086681600">June 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

&nbsp;

#84 J.R., Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Zack Collins, the catcher from Miami. We need depth there and he can hit. First team All American, good size, good power.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

If you don't want the draft spoiled, don't follow J.J. Cooper.

#86 tellitlikeitis, Jun 9, 2016
  7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Consensus amongst everyone is that the Astros take a college arm. Would rather them take a bat but really not going to nit pick too much, especially when we are all the way back at 17.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would be pretty stoked with any of these in the 1st round: Collins, Thaiss, Garrett, Muller, Reed. None of the college pitchers that slot around 17 excite me very much, but I don't know all that much so I trust Luhnow.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Past Astros selections at 17: Lidge (1998), Ramon Castro (1994), Don August (1984)

Berkman was 16th, Folty 19th

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Puk to A's seems like a good value for them

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Super interested to see how far Rutherford falls. Have heard he is signable and is not trying to float himself into the 30s/40s a la Daz Cameron.

12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Legit brain fart here: what pitchers has Luhnow selected that have become successful? Can't think of any besides McCullers and apparently Mengden with the A's this year.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Guys are falling.

14. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

uggg screw you seattle

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He drafted Lance Lynn, Luke Gregerson, and Jaime Garcia with the Cards when he was in charge of the draft.

Also, Shelby Miller and Trevor Rosenthal were in his Cardinals tenure.

#95 NIKEstrad, Jun 9, 2016
  16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Groome was never gonna happen but Lewis would have been awesome.

17. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Puk may just go back to school

18. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

hudson or whitley please

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Hudson would be awesome.

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Good call, don't know why I wasn't thinking of his Cardinals drafts.

I guess I'm just tired of the Andrew Thurman-type college arms taken way too early.