1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016] Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 14, 2016.

1. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

We finally have a tropical depression. I still wouldn't bank on any of the models until next run so I won't be posting any. NHC is saying west coast of FL for now.

[​IMG]

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^ That's scary for Apalachee Bay. It's considered to be one of the most dangerous targets for a hurricane storm surge, due to its shape creating an amplification of the surge, combined with flat lands with limited barriers.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Georgia severely needs the rain. Hope it's just a soaker as that entire area in general is in a mild drought.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

5. Cohete Rojo

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

10-20" of rain? I was staying in my parents Hurricane bunker about 10 miles from the bay and I doubt it barely rained but just an inch or two, just a **** ton of wind...and the calm of the eye. Still nothing like Alicia though. That one seemed so much worse wind wise.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The storm surge was the biggest story with Ike. On par with a Cat. 4 storm.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I just remember sleeping through the actual storm, then waking up the next morning to find out that my company had just been bought by the government. That was more of a shock to me than the hurricane...

9. Cohete Rojo

Almost no chance of anything forming here.

[​IMG]

10. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Hurricane Matthew is intensifying rapidly and is a threat to the Caribbean and (at this point) everyone on the East Coast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  11. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

This one looks scary. Models are having a hard time and any number of scenarios could play out. Florida to Maine needs to be on alert for this one.

12. Cohete Rojo

Matthew is now a category 5 storm and it has projected direct hit of both Jamaica (Monday morning) and Cuba (Tuesday morning).

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm leaving for Playa Del Carmen a week from today. Matthew better not disturb my plans...

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

^ ...and who called Matthew?

jk... I just couldn't help after seeing your avatar.
    Seriously though, I hope everyone stays safe and well.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This could be bad. No one around seems to be taking this seriously in Jacksonville.

[​IMG]

16. Bob Barker 007

Playa del Carmen is on the Yucatan. Not really sure what you are looking at to think that this hurricane will come anywhere near that area.

17. Bob Barker 007

Yeah, you called it 4 days ago. Could hook a little bit west into Florida, then come close to Charleston, Wilmington, Virginia Beach, Dover, Philly, and Boston. Hispaniola looks like it has been badly flooded by the hurricane and "blob." This is looking like a disaster.

18. Two Sandwiches

I knew it wasn't. There were just like a stray model or two, at that point, that had it going that way.

Just don't want money down the drain, and with my luck, it'd take one of those stray paths. Glad to see it turn north, though I hate to wish anything like that upon anybody.

19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Not trying to be rude, but those aren't "real" models. The only factor in those models is current direction, so back when Matthew was moving more W to WNW, they obviously pointed the storm towards the Yucatan. However, the consensus of the "real" models was virtually unanimous in a track through the Windward Passage.

20. Two Sandwiches

Honestly, I don't follow these things that much, so I saw a few projections that way a few days ago, and was slightly worried. I wasn't overly worried, though, if it came across that way.