1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 HOUSTON TEXANS TRAINING CAMP THREAD

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Jul 31, 2016.

1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I never said Brock was worse. Yes, he is behind. thats my point. He's less prepared, yet he's the starter.

Savage knows the offense more. He's only been out due to injury, not performance. Because of the injuries, the Texans haven't really seen Savage the last 2+ years. Brock may have more regular season experience, but not by that much. In the games he has played, he put up mediocre numbers. Granted, that was in a different offense. Savage has not really been given an opportunity. Brock is here because the owner wanted a new QB.

What if Brock just isn't ready? Maybe it's taking him a bit longer to learn the offense. Whereas Savage knows it more. Why not start Savage if he's looks more comfortable in the offense than Brock? Put Brock in an actual opportunity to succeed?

I know Savage won't start. Brock is the asset with investment. Of course he'll start. Again, I'm not advocating one way or another. Just reading tea leaves of the praise Savage has been getting in camp. Even if Savage outplays Brock by far at every stage of the offseason, there is no way he gets the starting job.

(Disclaimer: I am just playing devil's advocate and conspiracy theorist. I could totally see a case where media were told not to tout Savage over Brock regardless of actual performance in camp. Even if it ever came to that)

#61 clutch citizen, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Savage is Savage. Once he's in preseason games he will suck like always. Brock is the best Qb on the roster.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Osweiler/Savage vs Hoyer/Mallett, how can you not be hyped this year?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, whoever our bench QB is this season is better than whoever we could have started last season.

5. Buck Turgidson

Dear god, and I thought Astros fans were a bunch of whiny malcontented broads. They have nothing on this thread.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Who cares who's better between Salvage or Brock as long as one is good?

Sucks to spend the money, but only a 2-year contract... and O'brien would've been correct about Savage's abilities because he drafted him. Brock, at minimum, should be solid backup in case of injury.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What was wrong with Savage last preseason?

He showed lots of improvement from his rookie year.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Looks like a career backup.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Well, he's barely even played...and he had 4 TDs to 1 INT last preseason, so it's not like he was terrible.

10. Airdough

Airdough Member

No passes have even been thrown in a preseason game and already a QB Comp is trying to be cooked up. I guess every fanbase has its special characters but sure seem to have plenty of them in Houston.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Rave reviews on Fuller/Martin/Anderson from Texan insiders.

Very interested to see what we do with Brax Miller as well.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I am interested in Miller as well.

Remember two months before the draft when I basically said I though Miller was O'Brien's wet dream? I want to see that come to fruition, but not in a weird pervertrd way, as that probably sounds.

I still just can't believe we got him in the third round.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Because the season doesn't start tomorrow?

If Brock was able to come in and instantly grasp our offense in the first few days, I would actually question our offense.

Training camp is for learning - especially for the guys coming from a different team/system. If our final depth chart is supposed to be set after 4 days, why even continue with training camp?

1 person likes this.
  14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I understand camp is meant to sort out roles. If there was any time to make Brock earn the starting job, it would be here in camp. But right off the bat, Brock's taking starter reps. Savage is taking backup reps. You can almost hear the disgruntled thoughts in his voice. Gotta stay on the field, though.

15. tmacfor35

I have a feeling this rookie class may be Rick Smith's calling card in regards to him getting an extension.

16. Fantasma Negro

We might have something with Stephen Anderson. I at first thought he too small but watching him these last couple of days, dude could be as good as Jordan Reed. Man if our offense plays to its potential, oh baby

17. tmacfor35

Lamar Miller and will fuller start off team session with TD's.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> open up team session with deep ball to Fuller untouched for a make believe TD. No one can run with him.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/761208785750732800">August 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Osweiler in sync today. Hit Hopkins across the field in stride. Offense flowing today. Best it has looked since camp started. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/761210044339728384">August 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Progs

Progs Member

This rookie class is unbelievable. Even the undrafted have been playing excellent.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

everyone looks unbelievable in training camp