1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

troy daniels

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I never said i liked Harrell "so much"......he's a rookie deal and hasn't really played much, why would you gt rid of him? Maybe if you have to for a star player, but he's shown enough promise to not show him the door just yet.

I just put Beasley in there for balance....not a big deal, he can play 4, he's a back up anyway.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I already said why - he doesn't rebound enough for an NBA big man. Players don't usually "learn" to rebound. DMo doesn't really either, but he at least has some other skills to somewhat compensate.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, he's also restricted, so if you really want him, you'll probably have to pay something in the range of 10/15 to have a chance...

Yeah, i think Pat is good as a starter if we can sign Durant (or a quality SF like Batum), otherwise eh...

Anyway yeah, they've to pay Barnes and next year Curry, Iggy, Livingston and maybe Bogut...

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Bismack Biyombo

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who's ready to spend $20M on Ryan Anderson. ;)

Calvin:

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nothing like one of the worst defensive players in the leaguing being a prime target for a big contract from a team that has major defensively issues coming off a horrific season! Bring on the glorified Steve Novak for 20 mill!

If he'd sign for under 15 million... AFTER we already signed a max contract player(who is actually worth it), and no better options are available for the money, then maybe I wouldn't puke THAT hard, but anything near 20 million per would just be way too much, and if Anderson is our biggest get this off season then we're totally screwed. I'd rather start Harrell or Beasley then that be our route for the PF position with that kind of money.

8. ROCK_YOUR_ASS

ROCK_YOUR_ASS New Member

Bring Mike Conley to this team. He's got elite point guard skill and all about winning. You don't have to worry about him playing for his image or his next contract. I don't make this up myself, Marc Gasol had publicly praised the guy. Aren't you guys tired of players playing with their own agenda? It's about time we bring in some quality character guy and pay them good money instead of treating them like dispensable role players.

9. JD88

JD88 Member

I'd like to see Aminu and George Hill personally.

Hill is a solid shooter, and he plays solid defense. Last season he was one of the elite catch and shoot guys in the league.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

after last season, everybody wants us to "do something" this offseason. unfortunately, this would seem to be the offseason you least want to do something. everybody is treating free agency like the cap is going to infinity next season and the one after that. obviously if you can get durant, you get him. or even horford. but other than that, every good player seems like they will be overpaid. maybe we should just get some decent dudley types who won't get paid, try to recover chemistry-wise for this season without blowing up our cap for the next offseason and sign more people then. of course, maybe next offseason will be just as crazy in terms of money but hopefully some teams will have spent themselves out of contention for free agents.

maybe trades for guy who are on more modest contracts compared to the new ones being signed would be better. even for guys who might have been considered overpaid when they originally signed.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Bismak Biyombo. BB8 and Batum should be our 2 primary targets.

Then sign Mario Chalmers to start in front of Bev. Try your best to resign DMO and let him start(doubt he wants back). Get a vet backup PF like Scola. Get a vet backup sg that can shoot like Brandon Rush.

Biyombo/Capela
    DMO/Beasley/Scola/Harrell
    Batum/Ariza/Dekker
    Harden/Rush/KJ
    Mario/Bev/Terry

If you can't get or can't afford Batum, get Deng or Jared Dudley.
    If DMO doesn't want back, get Jonas Jerebko
    If Terry doesn't want to come back, get a 3rd C for insurance. Emeka is making his comeback this year(he could have played this year but opted to wait to be 100% sure).

Everyone knows what Batum, Deng or Dudley could do. Here's some info about the other guys i have great interest in:

Biyombo - 6'9.5, over 7'6 reach. Great motor. Improved his ft% every year from 48% rookie year to nearly 63% this year. 9ppg, 13rpg, 2.6bpg PER 36

Jerebko - 6'10 stretch 4. 40% from 3 with over 3 attempts. Decent rebounder. 10.4ppg, 8.8rpg PER 36

Mario - Solid Defender. Proven starter on 2 championship rosters. Has fallen off from 3 for some reason, but has had a 3 season run of shooting 39.5% with nearly 4 attempts per game. 35.8% career 3 is good enough. 16.5ppg, 4.1rpg, 6apg, 2.3spg PER 36

Major weakness with this roster is the PF spot is weak defensively. Might have to let Beasley go and get another backup. I like Trevor Booker. He could even steal the starting position from Jerebko.

BB8/Cap
    Jerebko/Booker/Scola/Harrell
    Batum? Deng? Ariza/Dudley?/Dekker
    Harden/Rush/KJ
    Mario/Bev/draft pick

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This off season is the year you would want the least change? Seriously?

Harden is in his prime, next year will be his 5th season in Houston, we don't just throw away another year of a top 5 players prime by keeping together a horrible team, loosing Howard and then signing "Dudley types" (inflation isn't just a top end thing btw) to wait to blow money a year later, when again the cap will go up another 20 million on top of the 30 million it will go up this off season.

Also, we can go into next off season with 80 million in salary, and we would still have 30 million the spend on a max contract. We can sign 2 max 25 million dollar contracts THIS off season, have Hardens contract and roster minimum holds on the books, and still give another max contract next off season. T

Now i'm not saying we should go blow money on crap players, but there just isn't much reason to hold out too much this off season and there are some quality players we could use.

Durant, Horford, Whiteside, Conley, Gasol, Batum are 6 players I believe would make a huge difference on this team, great fits, all defensively capable players, all worth large contracts IMO.

13. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

If we can't get KD
    Try to get Harrsion Barnes and Mike Conley from free agency
    Then trade someone like Brandon Bass, Patric Paterson( underrated ) who can space the floor.
    We also need good shooter like Teletovic and Bogdanovic
    Most importantly, we need a good coach, discipline, I suggest Messine.

14. francis 4 prez

i didn't say least change. i definitely am in favor of a major roster overhaul. i'm just not sure i want to be locked in to a max contract for someone who may not be worth it and doesn't have much upside to surpass it. guys like conley and batum may be looked back upon as blunders. whiteside may be looked back upon in the same way but i'd give him a max just on the hope that that much rebounding and shotblocking, along with a jumper and good free throw shooting and good health, will be worth it.

i guess if only harden/conley/batum were under contract, we'd be well under the cap next year but then you're building with 3 guys, only 1 of whom is a sure-fire all-star caliber player and hoping to add a 4th and then having very little cap room to do anything else. will that be successful, especially if the 4th guy isn't an all-star either? without looking it up, if the cap stops going up then their contract increases may eventually catch up to you unless you want to go into luxury tax territory.

i guess i'd rather win 45 games and fix the locker room next season and have double-max money again than lock up most of the foreseeable cap on guys who aren't all-stars.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hes played 40 games at 10mins a game...little early to write him off, don't you think?

You can't give up on a pick so easily...those are the guys that can possibly go elsewhere and develop for another team..

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Eh maybe I'm miss reading it? Did you men to put *at least?

Well your going into a specific hypothetical scenario, where we sign a bunch on 1 year deals, get our chemistry back, win 45 games and Harden for some would be content about barely making the playoffs (if at all), loosing in the first round again... and then we get to actually get to sign max stars for some reason? What if we can't get anybody? Hold out for the next and then next and then next off season?

4 teams will control the top 7 players in next years free agency, which means if 2, 3 or even all 4 of them stay together, then we are absolutely screwed. The teams and players are

OKC - Westbrook, Ibaka
    Clips - Paul, Griffin
    Hawks - Milsap, Teague
    Raptors - Lowry

So it could be a potentially great if all the teams break up, or horrible to save for if they mostly stay put, even if the teams break up, you have to factor in a lot of teams will still have cap space, and like this off season, the Rockets probably won't be the top choice for top name free agents, there will be other teams in a better positions.

And again, IMO it's a awful idea to waste away a top 5 players prime, which is exactly what hoping to win 45 games is. We can save up for next off season, miss out based off of just 2-4 teams staying together, and have nothing but a pissed off Harden that will be preparing to leave in the 2018 free agency.

1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, I'd be very happy signing two quality starter this off season and going into next off season with the flexibility to still sign one max free agent. Much more then us not getting any real help this off season and banking everything on next off season.

Conley and Batum are really good 2 way players, both would help immensely providing quality second scoring options, both are high IQ players who can create their own shot or spot up for 3 and play off ball, both quality defensive players, both very good passers who would bring some much needed ball handling for this team. I simply don't see how we could go wrong with signing either of them, they would both help greatly. I'd be fine with giving either 20 mill per, I have a feeling Conley will around 23-25, and Batum 18-20 mill and I'd be fine with both of those contracts.

Same for Whiteside, elite rebounding, finisher at the rim and insane shot blocking, huge presence on defense, only 26 years old, healthy with very low mileage, legit 7 footer with a huge wing span and respectable FT shooter. Whiteside would not only be a 27 year old replacement for Howard, but also an upgrade. He is easily worth his max which will be 22 million.

I have a question, would you have felt comfortable giving the current versions of Conley, Whiteside, Horford and Batum 14 mill 2 years ago?

14 mill 2 years ago for a good starter/borderline all star player sounds about right, they would usually get about 20% of the salary cap. I know its hard to grasp, but 22 million in the 2017-18 season will be equivalent to 14 million under our current cap. Our cap is jumping from 70 million, to 110 million in two seasons, that's a 63% increase! Which means the player will see a 63% increase in their salary. All the new contracts will sound ridiculous and really hard to the ears at first, but once you look at the cap numbers it all adds up.

17. francis 4 prez

i just meant people will want to "do something" as in try to swing for the fences (because this season was so bad), even if it doesn't set us up best long term. i have no problem going for a durant who is worth more than his max. but signing guys above market value just because everyone is above market value is a lower percentage proposition. you could still make it work with enough additional work and maybe "1-in-the-hand-and-then-try-to-make-the-best-of-it" is better than just hoping in the future, but those guys like conley and batum would have to work out really, really well.

certainly carries it's own risk. maybe doing nothing really screws things up. i can't guarantee it won't. but swinging for 50 wins still may not be the more likely path to a title. just a less likely path to a complete rebuilding.

conley and batum are good. but batum has only had one season above 6 win shares in his career. conley has gone over 8 twice but hasn't broken 7 in the last 2 seasons. horford isn't necessarily a slam dunk, but he has gone over 8.7 win shares 6 different times and seemingly fits our front court very well.

as i mentioned, whiteside is definitely worth it. although he is somewhat like howard when we signed him in that he comes with his own baggage. if you get this season's whiteside for 4 years then he is well worth it.

i realize there is a huge increase in the cap. but at 92M, the average win is worth 2.24M. at 110M, a win is worth 2.68M.

if we're looking at win shares (which isn't perfect but is a good measure), even at the 110M cap, batum would need 6.7 win shares every year, which he has only surpassed once and not come close to in the last 2 seasons, to be worth even the low end 18M/yr. the same goes for conley at 23M/yr. he would need 8.6 win shares, which he has only surpassed once and not come close to in the last 2 seasons.

now you don't necessarily have to be exactly worth your contract or worth even more. the spurs gave aldridge probably slightly more than he was worth but they were also adding him to a ready made team, and one that already had guys taking below-market deals. we might be able to do it simply because we already have a max guy who is worth much more than his contract in harden, but it doesn't necessarily make things easier.

maybe it's just that i'm not sold on conley and batum as true difference makers. nice guys to have but nothing earth-shattering unless they're both giving you near career-high seasons at the same time for all 4 years of their contracts. just for reference, trevor ariza's win shares have been nearly identical to mike conley's each of the last 3 seasons and surpassed batum's each of those 3 seasons. and he makes 8M/yr. and everyone wants to run him out of town.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I like how that article make it look like we would be lucky to give 20 million a year to Anderson.

19. Asian Sensation

Pretty sure you're trolling but whatever I'll feed. That's the worst roster and suggestions one could ever make. That team would be lucky to score more than 75 points per game and win more than 30 games.

Bismack has barely improved ( I guess anything is an improvement to previous years) but he's a major downgrade from even a disinterested Dwight half assing it. Per 36 minutes is a useless stat. There's a reason why Biyombo only gets 22 or so minutes per game and it's not because he's a talented player that's being held back. He's best suited as a backup and you get what you can out of him while he's in the game and thank the lord for every basket he makes. You can only play 4 on 5 on offense for so long.

Batum is just like Ariza except younger. When he's on he looks good but when he's off he's dreadful just like Ariza. Both are very inconsistent. Always has been and always will be. Don't be surprised if Ariza has a bounce back season next year and Batum falls off again.

You're willing to give up Beasley who's our second best player when we're having him for free basically and you want to start Jerebko at the 4? And have a 35 year old Scola running on fumes as the backup in place D mo?

Did I read your post correctly? Jerebko as the starting PF? Really? The guy that averages 4 points and 3.5 rebounds and is like the backup to the backup? The guy that hasn't started a game in like 6 years?

You want to replace Bev with another backup PG? You could combine all the best attributes from Chalmers and Bev to create a super PG and he'd still be super sucky.

Is the second coming of Michael Jordan or JFC coming out of the 2017 draft?

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Whoever pays Harrison Barnes is going to have a sour taste in their mouth for a very long time.

He's shown absolutely nothing to make you believe he's capable of being a main option for a team.

Never being defended by a defensive stopper. Always getting spacing due to the splash bros. And he STILL has had a pathetic playoffs so far against a pathetic opponent.

I'll vomit if we offer him a max contract.