1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think he has a player option and he's going to exercise it to sign a new contract, probably in NY, he's no more as good as he was a couple of years ago but the Knicks need that kinda of player in that spot so, i'd say he's getting something in the range of 10/15x in NY.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure about that. He was performing well when the team randomly started to bench him, play him, bench him, play him.

They've changed coaches now, so it really depends on what Hornacek thinks. I don't think Phil would be thrilled to commit 15m to Affalo when they don't have a franchise player anymore, and they have an all star in Melo who is expensive, inflexible and can block himself from being traded.

He improved as a 3pt shooter, but I'm not sure he's a better defender than Ariza. We really need a lockdown perimeter defender with Harden on the team, and I don't think Ariza or Affalo are lock down guys.

I would definitely give him 10m though if he were available at that price.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why does Gordon have to start? I think he'd be great off the bench and would easily get 30 minutes. He's very injury prone and you don't want that kind of guy in and out of your starting line up anyway, off the bench you can manage his minutes and injuries.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i'm not sure either, but i don't think the Knicks will sign all star caliber players so, they'll probably spend all the money on mid tier guys like Afflalo. Anyway, i don't think he's better than Ariza overall, he's a better offensive player, no doubt about that (even though he's not as good as he was in Orlando), defensively i think Trevor is still better than him, maybe not by that much but let's say i'd take Trevor at 7x2 over Afflalo at...let's say 12x3.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree. Also, if Gordon starts next to Harden who's going to guard opponent's point guard? I'm fine with him from the bench -> and if pretty cheap, the guy just can't play an entire season to save his life.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

All exceptions count against a teams cap. So in order to free up enough money to sign two max contracts, we'd have to renounce the MLE. You could then sign the two max players but the MLE is gone.

7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Jermey Lin 8 mil - 3 years
    Ryan Anderson 11 mil - 3 years
    Kent Bazemore 8 mil mil- 3 years
    Bismack Biyombo = 15 mil max

42 mil is what rockets have right?

This is a good time to build around a new coach and your star player Harden.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh ok, now i understand, thanks aelliott.

9. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Both of those guys are going to get a lot more.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ryan Anderson is probably looking at something like 17-20M per.
    Kent Bazemore is probably looking at something like 12-15M per.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Would 100% prefer Teletovic for half the price over Anderson. Same player, much less hype.

Also would prefer Barnes or Fournier over Bazemore at 16-18 mill. Bazemore is a nice player who would fit in our system well, but would he even be that much of an upgrade over Ariza?

Barnes is younger, better shooter, more size, has that unknown potential since he has been a role player on the best team in the league, could have room to grow. Forunier is younger, much better shooter, better scorer, higher upside, more size.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Why would Jeremy Lin come back to the team that cut him, then signed him after 'linsanity', then traded him?

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Honestly, i don't think Fournier can get better at this point, i also don't see him fit well here, pretty much the same thing i think about Derozan which is way more athletic and at least a bit better defender...

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Fournier is probably looking at something like 12M-15M.

Teletovic, probably could be had for around 2M-5M.

Harrison Barnes will be a MAX. He is an RFA and GSW will match anything.

15. basketballholic

Forget those silly contacts.

Sign Brady Heslip to a minimum deal. Sign Brandon Rush to a minimum deal. Draft Jarred Uthoff and sign him to a small deal for 3 years. Sign cole aldrich to a small 3 year deal. Trade Capela, DMO (re-signed), Dekker, Brewer, and our 2017 unprotected first to Orlando for Hezonja and Ilyasova. If Dwight opts in, sign Smoove to a one year deal. Sign Mike Muscala to a minimum deal. Wait for a true max free agent.

#575 basketballholic, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know your obsessed with Hezonja and think he is a superstar (Just like Zeller) but the team you just proposed is awful. Nothing against the players you mentioned, I like Ilyasova(he's not so different from Teletovic and will be getting paid around the same cash IMO). Aldrich is a solid backup big, Heslip/Utoff might be able to crack the rotation and give some help.

But still, that ultra specific plan you have looks like a horrible one unless we are aiming for the lottery, or 8th seed(if Howard opt in in your hypothetical).

These number seem way off, Teletovic got 5 mill last year without the huge cap increase and had a career year. Expect him to get around 8-10 mill if not more.

If Barnes is getting 23 million(his max), I can assure you Fournier will also get 20+ million. I also highly doubt GS matches Barnes at his max.

?? Fournier just had a break out year, is 23 years old and has only played 250 games (3 seasons) and this was his first year getting a full starter role. IMO the guy has plenty of potential to keep improving.

And then comparing his to DeRozan just makes absolutely no sense. Fournier is a sharp shooter, he shot 40% on a 156 made 3's this season. His style of play is very similar to Klay Thompson in my opinion. He would fit wonderfully here next to Harden(on offense)

His only knock is his D and I fully acknowledge that, but your post is still bad.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sorry perhaps that number is 21.6 rather then 23. I was going off of 25% of the projected cap which is what I thought players with 0-6 years of experience got, but the numbers i'm finding in articles are all saying 21.6 mill.

I still hold the same opinion though, If Barnes gets a max I don't thin GSW match, and that Fournier gets a max or near max as well. Although I think there is a chance Barnes and Fournier only get 16-18 mill per, not sure how crazy free agency will go, they may very well get maxes, but I hope not.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

No, don't get me wrong, i don't think he and Derozan are the same, he's clearly a better shooter than Demar, but he's still a sg, how can you play him next to Harden? He can't guard to save his life also...at least Derozan is a bit better defensively and is a beast so you can think of try him as a 3, again, maybe, Fournier is a guard...with no defense...and no, Klay is a very good defender and smart shooter.

Last thing, yeah, he's tyoung, but personally i don't see him getting better, just my idea.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

However rumors were saying that he asked the max to the Magic, and that's why they didn't reach an agreement.

20. basketballholic

Let somebody else sign Fournier and Barnes to those bloated deals. Neither player is good enough to be the second or third best player on a championship contender.