1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Since75

Since75 Member

Put a little thought into this and I think it's a Championship roster if it can be done.

These moves while not necessarily popular would have to be done:
    Trade Brewer and Beverly for draft pick(s)

Sign:
    Bazemore 4yrs./50m
    Crabbe 4yrs./50m
    Gordon 3yrs./30m
    Teletovic 2yrs/16m
    Jennings 3yrs./18

Total spent $48m of approximately $51m available due to moves.

Capela/ Dmo
    Teletovic/Beasley/Harrell
    Crabbe/Ariza/Dekker
    Bazemore/Gordon
    Harden/Jennings

All the perimeter players (except Ariza) have the ability to create off the dribble, score, and finish at the basket. Something the current team sorely misses.

That's a 10 deep versatile roster with length and shooting ability. Just gotta get a real commitment to playing a little above average defense.

Thoughts?

2. psman2

psman2 Member

Washington has already stated they are going to offer the 5 year max for Beal so that dream is dead.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is not a guaranted playoff team dude, way far from a championship caliber team.

4. Since75

Since75 Member

Well who do you add or delete that's a realistic option that would be a championship team. Please don't say Durant or Horford.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, if you want a championship caliber team you need great players, there's no shortcut.

Anyway, from the players you named, i like Bazemore and i'm ok with Mirza and Crabbe, but i don't think it's a good idea to spend something like 1/3 of the salary cap in role/bench players, because that's what they are. Gordon and Jennings are injury prone or coming back from bad injuries...leave them to other teams.

Personally, if we cannot speak about top players, i would prefer to sign young guys with potential like Barnes...at least they can be/become pretty good assets if not cornerstones for our future.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Agree.

Agree.

So folks went from pipedream Durant to long shots Horford &/or Conley.

There is no quick fix here and well,...they're on the clock with Harden's free agency looming.

Only been 3-4 years and we're back on the treadmill already?! Dammmmmnnn.

Free agency will go the same as the coaching search. Maybe they can overpay and get guys like Ryan Anderson & Harrison Barnes in here.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One of the biggest issues is that Teletovic/Beasley as the top 2 PF's on a team would almost certainly be the worst defensive PF rotation in the NBA and probably the worst by a significant margin. Could they sometimes score more points than they give up? Maybe, but not always, probably not even most of the time.

8. Since75

Since75 Member

Based on the previous responses the Rockets may as well go into next season with the same lineup as last year minus Howard. There's no way that you get an all star or star at every position. Harrison Barnes is not a superstar in the making. Crabbe is a much better shooter and guys like Gordon and Teletovic are above average shooters from the outside as is Bazemore.

The whole thought is that Harden needs to be surrounded by shooters. If you have 3 or 4 on the floor 75% of the time in D'antoni's offense good things will undoubtedly happen. Otherwise everyone keep waiting for the next Durant and LeBron to come along and sign with the Rockets.

9. Since75

Since75 Member

Point taken. Dmo would be part of the mix at the 4 as well.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

It's not that easy, it's not like you put a couple of good/great shooters next to Harden and it's an automatic win, you need guys able to shot but also defend, pass the ball, rebound, run the floor. And certainly you don't want to overpay decent guys to just stay mediocre for the next 3 years.

That's why even if they are a long shot (like they are for every other team) you have to try to sign great players, that's just the only way to have a great team...draft or free agency, there's no shortcut, and since we are not allowed to draft (i mean tank) that's the only alternative.

11. Since75

Since75 Member

Of the list of guys offered only Teletovic is a bad defensive player. Bazemore is long as is Crabbe. Both are capable of playing defense and in Bazemore's case shown that he can. Crabbe is still very young and can ideally commit to it. The other guys, Gordon and Jennings are simply shooters. No team has a team full of defensive and offensive stalwarts.

12. Since75

Since75 Member

By the way all of the guys named, Bazemore, Crabbe and even Teletovic are going to get sizeable and significant pay raises this year, not only because of the cap increase but also because they can all shoot. Bazemore and Crabbe run the floor and can pass. As indicated earlier, they both can play defense as well.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, but i wasn't talking about a specific player, in fact, as i already said, i like Baze.

The main point remains though, that's just not even close to a championship team so, the question is, you want a team able to compete with the best or you're ok with a team able to fight for a spot in the playoffs at best?

14. Since75

Since75 Member

That team as proposed can do way more than fight for a playoff spot. Take a moment to compare skill sets of the players mentioned with other top 4 teams in the West and see how well they matchup. I'm certain with the exception of the Warriors and Thunder( which may not be together much longer) the proposed team matches up well.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

You cannot face the Clippers with a front court like Capela/Teletovic bro, what are you talking about? Gobert/Favors? The Jazz will probably get better as a team...Gasol/Z.Bo if the Grizzlies will still be a thing, Aldridge/Pau (if he goes to the Spurs).

Every team would eat us alive in the paint and on the boards, i mean, come on...how can you say that team will be able to compete?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Regarding Crabbe (and Harrison Barnes) they are RFAs. GSW will match all HB offers. You will have to do a serious overpay to make the Blazers not match on Crabbe. I dont see the Rockets chasing RFAs. Batum, Bazemore, Marvin Williams, Luol Deng. All UFAs that could be had at different price points.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, that's a good point, i see both teams match their eventual offer sheet (unless it's very high on Crabbe side). I also agree that it's not the best option to go after restricted guys since you basically lose three days which is a risk. But i remember cyberx saying something about the Rockets having interest in Barnes if Durant is not coming here, not sure if this is still a thing but we'll see.

18. chandlerbang21

I can see houston at bottom of west next season. Every team in the league has $$$ and many are better options than playing in houston

19. chandlerbang21

Bazemore is a wanted player around the league. Our best chance is Williams who can play PF. Deng is getting older and losing alot of athletic ability. He is most likely looking to win now and wanting to get with a contender

20. chandlerbang21

compete for what? That team will the worst bench and possibly 3pt shooting in the league