1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 21, 2015.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Well if he can handle 3B then i'm certainly ready to see what he can do. Obviously there isn't at bats available at SS either, but 3B and LF need a boost immediately (I say LF because Rasmus could move to CF for dumbo)

I wouldn't expect a ton from a 30 year old who is just now figuring it out, but I am all for anyone other than Buena at this point (and yes I saw the HR last night, time to move on)

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

David Paulino having a very underrated season so far being overshadowed by Musgrove. Will very likely be a Top 100 prospect by the end of the season.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

little Tuck starting to mash.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kyle Tucker went 3-4 with an RBI single, a 2-run double, and stole 3 bases in Quad Cities' 12-4 win over Burlington today.

He's now hitting .299, and that OPS should be right around the .800 mark. The 3 steals give him 14 on the year, which puts him in a tie with Lancaster's Bobby Boyd at the top of the system.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Time to move him up to Lancaster?

6. dwood21

dwood21 Member

I would wait until June. He's still not even 20 yet and it's his first full season as a pro. I'm all for aggressive promotions, but there is a fine line of be aggressive vs. "rushing" them up the system. He's real close though for sure.

On that note, why they still have Musgrove at AA is beyond me. Does he even break a sweat against AA hitters anymore?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Considering they promoted LMJ to the big leagues without him throwing a single pitch at AAA... I don't think they really have a strict "every level required" criteria for pitchers.

But yeah.... he does need better competition.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maybe Musgrove might be working on something right now in AA? Minor league ball is mostly about development.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I also wonder about the coaches. Perhaps he resonates with 1 there really well and wants to stick with him for a while if he just got there (goes w/the above point).

1 person likes this.
  10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Didn't they send down VV last year to Corpus over Fresno? I believe to work with a specific pitching coach vs. the talent he faced.

Could be a similar line of thinking with Musgrove.

11. dwood21

dwood21 Member

Sounds like we could use this coach on the ML level then lol

12. Buck Turgidson

It's also a million times easier to get to Corpus than Fresno, which is a notorious pain in the ass. So it's easier for Astros brass to go watch said prospect, and easier to get said prospect to Houston quickly if needed.

That will all be different with Round Rock.

13. Buck Turgidson

See also: Gattis, Evan

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A promotion to Class AAA for Astros pitching prospect Joe Musgrove is “imminent.&quot;: <a href="https://t.co/GrMvKV3l9r">https://t.co/GrMvKV3l9r</a></p>&mdash; Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) <a href="https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/729825208752738304">May 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I wonder how one would describe the promotion of Astros prospect Joe Musgrove in a single word, should one want to do so. Impending? Immediate? Neither seem to encapsulate quite the mood one would hope.

16. Buck Turgidson

"Intriguing".

What do I win?

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

An Ashby bobblehead. :cool:

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So... Alex Bregman just homered.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What ever they are feeding Bregman and Altuve, they need to give to everyone else (unless they are detectable banned substances).

20. Buck Turgidson

Gattis catching again, no passed balls in his 2 games so far, no errors on his 3 chances in the field, threw a guy out at 2B last game, got credit for a pickoff at 1B tonight on batter's interference, there was a WP by Holmes but no way of telling how wild it was.