1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 All-stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by samtaylor, Jul 5, 2016.

?

Which Astros will be All-stars?

1. Only Jose Altuve

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Altuve and Springer

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Altuve and Correa

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Altuve, Springer, and Correa

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Damn. I did 57 during the game. NOW I feel like a loser.

2. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I really wish the All star game wasn't happening now. The Astros are playing too good of baseball now and I don't want the break to interrupt any momentum.

3. ABforPresident

The Stros twitter account needs to find a way to get JJ Watt to tweet #VoteSpringer. I don't think George has much of a chance going against Pedroia and the Sox fanbase

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic since Altuve just beat Pedroia in the starter fan vote.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this, would be a huge boost for Springer

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

??? Altuve was clearly better than Pedroia this year and basically had every non-homer voting for him. Springer versus Pedroia is a popularity contest.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think having time to vote so many times probably indicates my loserness. I had over 100 messages this morning from the votes I made before going to bed.

I voted tons of times this morning, but only received one message back, and it said Sorry, we didn't understand your request.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer has been better than Pedroia as well.... shouldn't the non-homer vote follow suit with the other vote (that is still very much a popularity contest)?

9. juicystream

Fewer subset of fans probably vote. I definitely think Pedroia is the favorite. I'm just thankful it isn't a Royal. They didn't stuff as well as last year, but Perez top vote getter (deservedly so as the only AS caliber catcher in the AL) and Hosmer winning 1B are a bit surprising. Escobar was 2nd at SS. Infante was 4th at 2B despite being released.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, agreed... then again, Pedroia did pretty terrible in the overall vote compared to some of his other Red Sox teammates (if we're presuming there's a strong bias for Red Sox homers).

Hopefully, those same non-homers use the same criteria on the final vote. Springer is certainly deserving. There's also the chance that somebody gets injured and he gets in that way.

11. juicystream

What bothers me is the stats they display. Avg/HR/RBI/SB. If someone doesn't look farther into the player, Springer doesn't look as good.

12. Buck Turgidson

Oh. ****. This.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ladies and gentlemen, The Killer B's! <a href="https://t.co/DRM2Hx8fKB">pic.twitter.com/DRM2Hx8fKB</a></p>&mdash; #VotePedey (@RedSox) <a href="https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/749742949148291072">July 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Springer has been better offensively. Pedroia plays the harder defensive position. I highly doubt that most people think Springer is the better player outside of Houston. In fWAR, they are within error of the calculations with Springer likely pulling slightly ahead in the past 2-3 days.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is 2B really harder/more valuable than a gold-glove caliber RF? Not sure what you're using to judge that by (especially since Springer would probably be a gold glove caliber CF as well... and I feel CF is a harder defensive position than 2B).

We already know nobody is rewarding better defense... otherwise Springer would have already been an all-star. This was mainly in response to how it would be impossible to vote an Astro past the vaunted Red Sox fan base.

In terms of people who know baseball (not just those in Houston), Springer is the more deserving player. I presume those who voted Altuve in did so because they knew he was more deserving than other players who played in more popular markets.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No, but Springer is not Adam Eaton. 2B is harder than RF. Pedroia may add a gold glove this season to his 4 others if Altuve doesn't win it with his bat. Springer, though a very good defensive RF, is not close to a GG this year unless he wins it with his bat. Eaton and Mazara are fighting over it.

What he's capable of in CF is irrelevant as he just hasn't proven it. That said...Springer is not close to GG caliber in CF either. Even with Keirmaier hurt, Cain and Pillar are still in the AL.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's a lot closer to GG caliber than you're giving him credit for. Step away from simply looking at the flawed defensive metrics.

And again... not sure why you suggest 2B is automatically harder than RCF (yes, he plays a hybrid position). With the constant shifting, its made border-line bad defensive players like Altuve into GG candidates.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Eaton is up there...but if Springer is behind him, its not by much. Springer is better than Mazara.

Regardless, Springer is one of the best RF in baseball, and it's really tough to argue otherwise...just watch the games, the guy is a stud.

18. juicystream

Altuve has made himself into a pretty good defensive player.

All teams shift, and we can't treat Springer like a CF just because he came through the system as one. He plays RF.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see many non-Astros games, but Eaton and Mazara are basically Marisnick out there. I see a good fielder in Springer, but he's a step down from the Marisnicks.

20. Buck Turgidson

I've seen a lot of Mazara, he's great, but not there yet. Eaton is all-world.