1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016-2017 James Harden is having the most prolific offensive season in NBA history.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Canada, Mar 22, 2017.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so someone came up with 4501 just go piss me off with falling short by 1 point when it seemed like he easily surpassed it? wouldn't morey know the total and tell him what to get? seems like poor management of the situation to not know the record. at least from a pr perspective. espn has elias working for them and elias seems like they would know the number.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So Harden didn't break the record?

3. francis 4 prez

but it's 80 points, which doesn't seem to fit in anywhere with the 2 mentioned numbers.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

who cares, stats are for the brodies. james is all about wins and he bout to get some more!

5. WestendMassive

I'm not sure this is the case. Don Knock did the maths up there as well, but here it is again:

2172-80 ft assists = 2092 + 2356 points scored = 4,448

Add 28 points produced from assists tonight = 4,476

How does ESPN get to 4,538 for Harden??

Richie_Rich and DonKnock like this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

ESPN's number is just as wrong then because if you take the FT's created out then it still doesn't total up to 4538.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm seeing a lot of numbers in this thread but very few observations on how harden has more multiple base 10 log = > 1 in unadjusted stats.

Therefore it's Westbrook - It's just base 10 math.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not trying to justify either of those numbers. I'm saying that if you filter by one game (pick the 4/9/17 game) you will see that FT Pts is added to the AST PTS CREATED. In that SAC game, according to the play by play, Harden had 9 assists on 3 ptrs. That adds up to 39 pts, but this shows 42 pts. (Note my fitlers at the top of the image)

http://stats.nba.com/players/passing/#!?sort=PASSES_MADE&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season&DateFrom=04/09/2017&DateTo=04/09/2017&CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*HARDEN

[​IMG]

Here's the SAC pbp link to count the 9 three pointers on 15 assists: http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0021601200/playbyplay/

and btw: Feigen reported 34 assists points for that game. I don't know where he got that, and it's why I investigated. It's clearly 15 assists with 9 three pointers...verified by NBA.com, except they add 3pts for FTs to report 42 pts.

9. francis 4 prez

if nbaminer is right through 81 games and harden got 5 3-point assists tonight, then he did indeed fall 1 point short. of course.

10. francis 4 prez

http://www.nbaminer.com/player-assist-details/

tells assists and 3 point assists, which is what you need.

11. heypartner

Again, I'm not trying to justify ESPNs numbers at all. Forget those. I'm saying the NBA.com numbers include FTs. Thus, it is unfair to use those to say he broke Tiny Archibald's record, if Tiny's didn't get the benefit of adding in FTs from assists.

12. ipaman

you gonna take away 3s too because Archibald didn't have a 3pt line. maybe we shouldn't count harden's road stats since he travels in charter first class and stays at luxury hotels, archi didn't have that. year round training, archi didn't have that either. elite sports medicine for archi, nope. so where does it end?

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

#113 BleedRocketsRed, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  14. heypartner

I guess no one is listening to me, because I'm the bearer of bad news.

You just use NBA.com, but you have to subtract out the FT Points from the AST PTS CREATED; otherwise, you are not being fair to Tiny Archibalds numbers, which don't include any FT points.

15. heypartner

The threes are fine to keep, because they are lower %. There is no guarantee that they would have helped Tiny, because would be less assists.

The rest of what you said is nonsense.

You guys just aren't willing to listen that NBA.com stats include FTs, and Archibald's don't. Not sure why ppl keep arguing with me about that, and getting so defensive about it.

I'm just trying to help....albeit, it is bad news for the record.

16. ipaman

LOL you want to be FAIR.... FFS the only NBA star being mistreated over the last few seasons is Harden. But you want him and us to be FAIR. I say fack you and them, shove your FAIRNESS up your asses. When they treat The Beard FAIR then maybe we'll oblige.

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The thing is, the FT numbers are right there. We can subtract those out and see that Harden didn't miss this by 1 point.

This is the guy that tweeted out Harden missing it by 1 point:rolleyes:

18. heypartner

Sounds like nbaminer "mines" the pbp put out by NBA.com. NBA.com is the official pbp. If they are scraping that text, and they come up with a different number, then that could be an error in their scraping code. I would have to give the nod to NBA.com reading their own pbp correctly, vs a 3rd party.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Not sure how bballref is so different lol

20. francis 4 prez

i already said he didn't get it. but nba.com's numbers don't seem to add up. nbaminer.com had him at the same number of assists as nba.com and with 363 3-point assists before tonight. that would be 2153 points, without free throws. not the same as nba.com gives him 12 assists with 5 3's and that's 29 points, 2182 total and added to 2356 points gives espn's 4538. espn may be a lot of things, but their numbers usually aren't wrong.