1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yeah I thought after the season that LFC would be his landing spot but never fear breh... Grujic seems like he will be quality and yall have my african breh Sadio Mane. Hopefully the younger lads will come through also. I don't know if you've been keeping up with LFC's pre-season matches but another young Brit-Nigerian is making waves- Ovie Ejaria. The kid is a boss in the making and I figure he'll go on loan this season and be back next season to stake his claim for a 1st team role.

I havent kept tabs on who else LFC/Klopp are going after but I figure he's not done. Have faith Jontro, LFC will have a great season....and finish in a Europa League spot! :grin::grin:

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Götze deal will be made official in a few minutes, 28mil+boni.

3. Raz

Raz Member

Benatia to Juventus on a loan deal is official. So we basically traded him for Coman, which is a superb deal for Bayern.

Nothing new on Götze, so the rumors might be wrong. I never thought they would let him leave for Dortmund anyway.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pretty sure it'll happen, BILD had the contract details (transfer sum, contract length). Zorc said the BILD news were rubbish, but added that the deal "isn't done yet" - 'Der Transfer ist noch nicht durch' ), which sounds like he unintentionally admitted that the deal is in talks.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm not very well versed with the Bundesliga, but is Dortmund the equivalent of in the EPL? Are they like Arsenal who finds cheap, relatively unknown players and develop them into stars in order to sell in a couple of years?

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They have a good scouting division and try to find gems for cheap. They then develop these guys through coaches that teach these guys the right mentality and have a good eye for their strenghts and development (Klopp, Tuchel). Their youth system is also top-notch.

They actually want to keep good players, but Dortmund isn't attractive enough for a couple of reasons. 1) Bayern will always be on top in the league, therefore it's difficult to win the Bundeslgia and German Cup. 2) The city and region are also extremely unattractive (low income inudstry, low-class environment, idiot fans), so every player with an eye on a good quality of life will want to leave rather sooner than later. Management is fighting for each player and offers pretty high salaries, but right now no one wants to stay.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Rummenigge just confirmed the transfer talks with Dortmund, says both clubs negotiating the transfer sum atm.

8. Raz

Raz Member

Hope they're just trying to provoke a better offer from a foreign club. Bayern must think very bad of Götze if they're indeed sending him to their biggest rival.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So, you're saying Dortmund is essentially Dallas?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Regarding cities in the German league isn't Berlin considered top notch but they lack top notch clubs playing consistently in the CL?

Munich is a fine, smaller city than Berlin.

I would say Berlin and Hamburg are the biggest cities with Bundesliga Clubs right now.

Both teams are not successful enough to attract the biggest stars. :p

1 person likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about Motor City Detroit?

They are not attractive but still find ways to be successful? Or not?

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Berlin and Hamburg lack good management, although Hertha Berlin has been in the rise in the last years and could end up as a constant top 8 team. They had one of the best youth divisions and talent pools in Germany and developed the Boateng brothers for example, but always let go of these talents too early.

Hamburg has been one of the biggest and successful clubs in the world in the 70s (the name Uwe Seeler should ring a bell) and were playing internationally til the early 00s, but their management has been utter **** in the last decade and there has been no continuity or systematic approach in ages. They've been the laughing stock of Germany in the past years and it will be tough to rise up again. They are backed by one of Germany's richest men though (Kühne) and are able to sign some more expensive players. Management has been utter sh** though and bought overhyped big-name players that never delivered and just ate up salary.

1 person likes this.
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

First practice match of the season and Robben out for 6 weeks at least, ridiculous. Really hope we'll buy a midfielder now with Götze leaving and Robben+Ribery not being reliable.

14. Raz

Raz Member

Not exactly. Unlike Dallas quality players actually want to come to Dortmund to make the next career step. They just don't want to stay long-term, because of the reasons Yung-T mentioned.

Costa also injured, missing the Olympics. Not sure we'll find a quality replacement at this time. Maybe use the Götze money to sneak in City's Sané deal.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

LFC will give you Henderson for free.

16. The Stig

The Stig Member

Really curious to see how BVB fans feel about Gotze coming back to the club. They didn't leave it on good terms a couple years ago.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

[​IMG]

These guys are short sighted morons which will boo in the first games and worship him as soon as he starts producing.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not talking about Goetze only but there are guys who have been stellar in one place or at one tournament and never get back to their form.

I recall a certain Bayern player, Deisler.

Hope he does well though, I do not know him.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Deisler suffered from injuries and depression, ended his career early.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The next relatively big name might be Jese who might go join the German league.