1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is that the last word? I saw an article about a Spanish radio station reporting that.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nothing official yet, but several outlets reporting it. Also details about a 30mil annual salary, crazy.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure those guys are aware of the new rules of the Super league or they just want to be "punished", just go for it because it is for a good cause thinking.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...spending-on-the-most-expensive-foreign-stars/

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Bayern is interested in Bami Dele Alli so it seems.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's been linked to us for years now, but I don't think it's feasible anymore. The rumored transfer sum is at leeeaaaast in the 60+mil range and I don't see Tottenham selling England's brightest talent
    Bayern did the same with Griezmann, scouting him for years but hesitating until the transfer sum and interest of other clubs got out of hands.
    Glad to see us at least buying one top prospect in Sanches, but we have to take the gambling approach a lot more from now on.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Btw, I never heard of Leverkusen's new signing Leon Bailey before the deal, but kid seems really nice. Extremely agile and creative.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Raz

Raz Member

Next bad game by Bayern. Starting to doubt Ancelotti. We never had such a bad run under Guardiola. Defense has been weak all year and the offense looks more and more uninspired.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Schalke played incredibly aggressive, I seriously doubt we would've won this game under Pep. Their pressing and counterattacking was perfect for this game and exactly what Pep struggled with.

PS: People somehow tend to forget how many sh**ty games we had during the Pep era, I remember so many streaks where we looked like crap and everyone was fed up with Pep and certain players.
    Same with Heynckes or former Rockets coaches, fans tend to only remember the good times.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is he going to be a game changer within the 5 best leagues is all I want to figure out for now.

11. Raz

Raz Member

Numbers don't lie: In two out of three years under Guardiola we had over 52 points after 19 games, now we're at 46, while playing like **** all three games in 2017. Not trying to overvalue Pep here, just want to underline that Ancelotti has been disappointing so far. In the Bundesliga as well as in the Champions League.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

i guess now the goal is for lfc to get into europa for next season.

i know klopp doesn't like to buy players in the january window, nor does he like to buy established players... but schitte gots to change. lfc depends too much on coutinho and to a lesser extent mane. cou going out with an injury messed up the rhythm and somehow we can't get that mojo back.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Numbers can be misleading though, look at Neuer's blunder yesterday or at Martinez missing a massive chance, also had a lot of games where the refs screwed us.
    Müller has been completely useless as well, plus Boateng has been injured.

In the end, we'll see how it works out in the CL, I'd rather win the league with slightly less points if it means we don't get crushed by Spanish teams and counterattacks anymore. What's the point of securing the league with record margins when you get raped when it really matters, Pep's era has been highly overrated because of that.

14. Raz

Raz Member

Pep has won the Bundesliga three times, the DFB Cup twice and made it to the Champions League semis three times. Carlo has yet to do any of that and the way we played the whole season (except the Leipzig game), I don't see it happen. Let's not forget we had Atlético last year on the ropes, but Müller missed that penalty and we had to play Barcelona the year before without several key players.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We'll see, I have high expectations.

PS: Douglas Costa's new interview with SportBILD is pretty messed up, he's basically saying he's not fully happy at Bayern, wants to be a starter, is in contact with multiple clubs from Europe&China and that Bayern only has to look at transfer offers and accept them.

16. Raz

Raz Member

Me too and don't get me wrong, I'll give Carlo this year, since a lot players came late and injured from the Euro.

Indeed a little weird. If he wants to start, he has to deliver in close games like yesterday the way Ribéry and Robben did for years and that's not the case.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

another goal and soon on Gylfi Sigurdsson's level

btw anyone watching the Africa Cup of Nations?

Lightning quick, M. Salah.

#617 daywalker02, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Still mad about Pep snatching Jesus away from us, he seems to adapt way quicker than I expected. Guy will be savage in a few years, maybe we can buy him when Pep leaves City.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Klopp today or yesterday came out and said they tried to buy a lot of players in January, but the clubs weren't willing to sell to Liverpool. Targeted players included Draxler, Brandt and Pulisic.

Winter transfers are always difficult to pull off, but I imagine it's even harder to convince players to join Liverpool.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lahm retiring in July, Alonso possibly leaving as well. Add Costa's stupid interview and it will be an interesting transfer summer.

daywalker02 likes this.