1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Don't know if you saw today's game but KDB with another stellar performance, the young man's turning out to be an elite player. His name has to be mentioned with the games best players. However, I still think he needs more consistency, likely to come with more experience.

Sterling has also shown he's taking steps forward with Pep, really extracting the best out of him. He's got to learn quite a bit about finishing and making smarter plays, it's the only thing his game is lacking at this point.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yup, saw the game and KDB again was the engine with exceptional vision. His assist to Gundogan was insane.

Sterling and Iheancho linked up well. Nolito was also an underrated signing this summer. Fernandinho is a monster in the midfield.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do you think City has a good chance to seal the title?

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

It'll come down to the Manchester teams and maybe LFC it they can keep up the intensity all season and not suck at defense.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We sux again. Huge pressure on Mourinho. Pogba has been a huge disappointment so far for the world's most expensive player.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Right now I don't see another team with the same form. Last season City was really poor against the better clubs and feasted on the trash. Beating Man U at Old Traf without Aguero was a good sign, but its a long season.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Manchester United's record last season with Schweinsteiger:

10 victories, 6 draws, 2 losses

88 % win or draw

Without him:

9 victories, 3 draws, 8 losses

60 % win or draw

So much for pinning last season's bad performance on Schweinsteiger.

Woodward is a complete idiot. He is under lots of pressure, but he is a joke of a manager. He is an accountant with no understanding of football.

This wasn't Mourinho's decision. Despite his arrogant demeanor and all, he actually hasn't had the balls to tell Woodward and the owners to go **** themselves and let him make the calls.

Schweinsteiger has won on every level.

He is the only world champion on Manchester United's team. He's also won the Champions League and countless national titles.

Pogba clearly needs guidance. Schweinsteiger and Pogba would actually be a great combination.

8. Raz

Raz Member

Robben finally back for Bayern and immediately scored. O'zapf is!

Yung-T likes this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Damn finally United playing the way we should

4-0 in no time and its not even half time

Pogba get his 1st

10. Raz

Raz Member

Bayern with a hard fought late victory against Hamburg. The team seems to be not in the best shape, unfortunately right before the very match important match at Atlético. But at least they remained focused until the end. Coman and Sanches are not there yet, Ancelotti needs to play Vidal and Ribéry on Wednesday.

11. Raz

Raz Member

HSV fired Bruno Labbadia, which means Hamburg will see their 13th new coach in this decade alone. Really hope this mess of a club finally gets relegated, alongside Werder Bremen, who are equally terrible.

Where is everybody? Gotta keep the flags up in here!

Yung-T likes this.
  12. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Amazing performance by Arsenal yesterday. Absolutely destroyed Chelsea. Can't believe that Chelsea bought Luiz again - he's awful defensively. They looked in complete chaos.

ATW, what's next for Basti?

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i gotta say i'm pretty stoked for liverpool. i hope it's not a fluke. they remind me of the old suns run n gun team that should have won a ship.

14. Raz

Raz Member

The Klopp-effect starts to pay off. You will have a great time in two or three years, when he's done modifying the team. Looking forward to see Liverpool back on the grand stage.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

For the brehs who followed the Bundesliga, what happened to Klopp's Dortmund team? He won a few titles, then his team bottomed out. Was it because of the transfer window where he eventually lost all his good players to Bayern? Or do players get tired of him eventually, like The Boring One (Mou)?

16. Amir's Johnson

I'm excited too! I'm just hoping for top 4 this season. I really hope during the next transfer we can get either Dahoud or Pulisic.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Players get tired of him, plus he never had any plan B or different tactical approach when his system didn't work vs opponents. The high pressure + quick counters worked great at first, but in his last season basically every opponent used Klopp's own weapons against him by having a defensive counterattack approach and daring Dortmund to play a possession style. Klopp never seemed to have any solution for that problem.

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Schalke with ZERO points after the first five games, don't know what the hell is happening. Great transfers, one of Germany's best coaches and Heidel pulling the strings. Seemed like such great potential and now nothing is working out.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If anything, it is definitely a more fun team to watch.

20. Raz

Raz Member

To take his side a little, I think players "get tired" of him is not the case. The guys he made great like Hummels, Subotic, Pisczek or Gündogan still would've gone to war with him. You're right about him being out-coached in his last Dortmund season, I guess after eight years he was a little burnt out, plus he knew exactly he couldn't beat Bayern in years, no matter what. It was just time for something new for both sides and it looks like it was the right decision for both.

What makes you think Weinzierl is one of the best coaches here? I was never sold on him, since he only coached small teams yet. Schalke is a whole nother dimension, speaking of pressure and expectations. Not so much on your side either when it comes to transfers. Embolo can be great one day but won't help you right away. Same with Bentaleb and Stambouli, who were signed very late. Naldo was already decreasing last season with Wolfsburg. So I'm not surprised that it doesn't work out immediately, but the amout of failure is indeed quite shocking.

Jontro likes this.