1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-2017] Donatas Motiejunas as a New Orleans Pelican

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 1, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This dude can't get minutes at a shitty team, forget about him being a useful contributor for the Rockets. He is broken.

roslolian and vtjsr2 like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I guess it's better to not play and keep your regression due to injury a mystery, than to play and remove all doubt. Gotta give TJones credit for having the balls to request being waived.

Stick to the "no changing role" strategy, BJ, it's the only one that will work this summer.

joshuaao, vator, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, didn't like that either - think a 7 footed left handed skilled player is better than anything you can get at 20+ and we are in win now mode.

DD

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

TJones always had the balls, to stomp or not.

Dmo is misrepresented, and he isn't developing into a player most valuable to the team.

5. heypartner

Even if MDA would have him spot-up on the 3pt line (which is a big IF), having our 5 spot up, removes the much better 3pt shooter from that location. You can only have so many shooters spotting up. That worked with McHale's teams, because we didn't have enough shooters.

Now we have shooters, so the 5 pulls the opponent big out to the 3pt line with high PnRs, or haven't you noticed, with the real shooters spread out. That clears the lane, or Opp has to switch the big on Harden or leave him wide open on the 3, which teams don't do.

Guess you're now going to say DMo is a better at diving to the rim off PnR than Capela, Harrell and Nene....or does he fade off of high PnR to create bad spacing of 3pt shooters on the arc.

icymi, our last encounter with MEM was a 24pt blowout victory away, and one of the losses was when Capela was injured, in the middle of a 20-2 Win streak We have traded home/aways with Utah, with Capela/Nene combining for 36 points in the Win. How's that struggling, just because we aren't sweeping Utah?

I suppose that "etc" includes DeAndre Jordan, ....who tried miserably to switch on Harden on the high PnR. What about our 2-1 record against Steve Adams of OKC. Or us playing SAS solidly with their D and bigs. Who exactly does the "etc" include?

#945 heypartner, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Rockets don't need much shooting from the C position. They have plenty of that already.

They need a C that can protect the paint, finish at the rim and grab an offensive reb every now and then. I'm wondering if they could have gotten Nerlens Noel from the Sixers (considering what the Mavs gave up). One of these years Capela may toughen up and start playing like a man, but I'm getting impatient with his physical and mental softness.

You have a point that against selected teams, a shooting C would help. But I don't trust D-Mo to perform, at least this year.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Been awhile since I've checked in on D-Mo, and come here like...

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Well your tune has changed a little lol

9. dmoneybangbang

DMo decided to take a lesser offer than the one we give him. What are we supposed to do?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree that DMo made a major mistake by not accepting the QO....no argument from me.

DD

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

DMo could not rebound. Just being 7 foot does not make you a center. He does not do center things.

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Trying to figure out how one could argue that at this point

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

In D-Mo's defense, neither can Brook Lopez.

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

If DMo was featured offensively, that would compensate for his other deficiencies - but he isn't. Probably for valid reasons.

Why play DMo now? Just stay small. You lose the small ball advantages when you play DMo, and you don't gain any of the big man advantages.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That said, we are on the same page. I personally don't think D-Mo will make any real difference on our team until he shows me otherwise consistently.

16. heypartner

You see now how Gasol playing back doesn't require a stretch 5 to beat, when we already have 3 real shooters on the arc with Harden. MDA did just as I predicted...which was not much of a prediction, because we've seen it before.

Like I said up above, you cannot play back on the Rockets High PnR.
    • When you do, and the PG tries to go over the pick to chase Harden, then Capela dives and Harden drives to go 2 on 1 directly at Gasol, requiring help to leave a Corner 3 shooter, or an easy 2 on 1.
    • If the point guard goes under and Gasol stays back, no one is on Harden
    • This forces Gasol to come out to open the lane (without a Stretch 5), and Capela/Nena got behind him for layups/slams at least 4 times
    • Then in the 3rd Q, MDA changed it up and left Capela on the baseline, forcing Gasol to stay put, and Harden scored 20 3rd Q points.
    We don't need DMo to beat your so-called lane cloggers. We have crushed MEM two games in a row. Have crushed DeAndre Jordan twice in a row. And Capela/Nene combined for 36 pts on Utah for a win. And we are playing SAS tight every game. And we beat OKC Adams 2 out of 3.

#956 heypartner, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg, YaoMing#1 and hakeem94 like this.
  17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Kind of a moot point, given that D-Mo isn't actually a stretch-5. It's glaringly obvious that '14-15 was a total outlier season for him (hell, if he had hit 10 fewer 3s that year, his % would have been 29.3%).

Donatas Motiejunas 3P%, by year:

2012-13: 28.9%
    2013-14: 25.0%
    2014-15: 36.8%
    2015-16: 28.1%
    2016-17: 27.3%

Corey Brewer over that same span:

2012-13: 29.6%
    2013-14: 28.0%
    2014-15: 26.8%
    2015-16: 27.2%
    2016-17: 23.7%

DMo career FG% on jumpers: 33.5%

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He's apparently still knocking off the rust.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So a 27% 3pt shooter is spotting up and someone is guarding him because why????

roslolian likes this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

14/15 was his walter herrman year

Walter Herrman had a good couple of months in the NBA
    And then he dunked nude. Is that the natural progression for DMo??