1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-2017] Donatas Motiejunas as a New Orleans Pelican

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 1, 2017.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How much change can there be? When you are the last big used, you are the last big used.

If there are injuries he might get a sniff....

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

20 minutes per game in last 5 games.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Averaging 16 per game since joining their team, but you know how narratives go "last big off the bench" and whatnot.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz. Such a DMoF perpective.

DMo can't be traded. So, they can't do anything with him. And he currently has little role to speak of. Good new for DMo according to your scenario would be, "You will take over TJones minutes if we do him a solid and find him the minutes he deserves elsewhere. Else, no change."

That news sounds like when huge change happens at a company that will directly impact others, the worried employers ask about their new role, and they get the standard company line, "Oh, don't worry. Your role won't change. But maybe if your more productive colleague bolt, we'll give you their work."

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course he can't be traded, but when the first word out of the organization is that your role won't change......and the first word makes the other guy demand a trade....it's kind of obvious what happened. It's the same thing that happened in Houston, they tried to keep DMo, they dumped Jones. Same thing is happening again. Eventually people will realize that there's a pattern here.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Donatas Urbonas is the urbanized version of Motiejunas.

Snow Villiers and heypartner like this.
  7. heypartner

If TJones gets traded, shouldn't DMo's role change to get TJones minutes? No change would suck. Whereas, TJones has the freedom to get the minutes elsewhere that Cousins will squeeze out of the rotation, so he asked.

Poor DMo getting the dreaded "No change to your role" answer, so he better hope TJones gets traded....because he ain't getting minutes when NOLA is at full capacity, before Cousins.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jones is getting traded because he was losing his minutes one way or the other....that's what you don't seem to get. DMo was getting about 16 minutes per game "when NOLA was at full capacity, before Cousins" and they told him he'd keep getting those minutes.....At the same time, they gave Jones' camp news that made him demand a trade. In your mind they are just "doing him a solid", when in reality, he was the odd man out yet again. He isn't and has never been a good player, he's just been pretty good at fooling some people into thinking that.

9. Ohreally

Ohreally Contributing Member

It's not about minutes for Dmo. I think the question we're looking for is, will Boogie and AD eat separately from Dmo? I think this question needs to be addressed.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Looks like another year to wait on DMo's " potential" to be realized. DMo won't get much burn with two all star bigs in front of him.

11. heypartner

Man, you're weird. Really horrible logic and ability to analysis basketball situations objectively when you dislike a player so much.

At full capacity DMo's minutes for the season are 14 mpg. Really silly of you to think DMo is happy with the 14 mpg (TOPS) that he is looking at.

And why are you saying role not changing means same minutes. If you've watched the games and you know Davis hates playing C....then you should see that DMo is there to play their C role....which now has a Superstar who demands 34 mpg. If they want to go small with Davis, which they do, DMo will get even less minutes.

It doesn't matter what math you want to try to apply to his mpg, DMo will heavily get squeezed by Cousins. It's pure speculation on your part to say DMo will be both Davis and Cousins backup, and increase minutes above the 14 mpg that Cousins will sit, or even get all that....versus some Davis small ball.

TJones can be moved, because of the favorable contract. If he doesn't, there is no indication he loses his PF role to Cunningham. But all 3 of those players are getting squeezed in minutes.

TJones is in the favorable position to get accommodated with a trade, because his contract is so easily tradable

roslolian likes this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

(because of injuries!)

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

haha! his role won't change a lot. ya, that's some excellent analysis DMO.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Depends on whether Boogie likes burgers or oysters. If he likes burgers, DMo has no chance.

15. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Woohoo, page 42! Never die, DMO threads, never die. I would be working right now, if it wasn't for thee.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

FYI: DMo will be on with Joel Blanket on 97.5 FM @ 3:30 TODAY

EDIT: "Joel Blank" stupid autocorrect....

#836 TMac'n, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  17. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

Ciff Notes?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Transcript in real time - for old time sake.

DMo - pleasure to join you guys
    Joel - lots of fans miss you - what can you say about what happenend?
    DM - The things were not pretty - but on the end, just forget about it, no complaints - nothing for the team - 4 beautiful years with great fans, really enjoyed playing for Houston and for the team, and the people of Houston - lots of miscommunication, lots of bad things, in the end, both sides lost.....sad the situation went that way, can't always control situation.
    Joel - you healthy right? People will look at that?
    DMo - I am healthy - you see me playing at the highest level, right, I am healthy.
    Joel - you can fail a physical just because team's opinion influences the doctor.
    DMo - Exactly - team doctor, some of them are there because the team try to work more for the team, the team are telling them to look harder, as the team is saying we want him long term, and makes the doctor nervous - my body feels great, playing every day.
    Joel - We are friends, took some heat, how much has boogie changed things?
    DMo - Like I said it is unbelievable to have 2 players of that caliber, all teams trying to play small - hopefully Boogie and AD can play together well I will come off bench and help 2nd unit - we can come together as a team
    Joel - Playoffs?
    DMo - we had a good stretch winning 3 of last 4, but we have a lot of work to do, Houston game we need to win if we want to look forward to the playoffs because it is at home.

Nick - are you looking forward to the game against the Rox, any special feeling about it?
    Dmo - will be fun to play against players I played with but I don't fell special rivalry, I respect all the coaches and all the players I played with, had a lot of good memories, I don't want the dark spot that happened - both sides lost, maybe in the future, I would come back, if not, I wish them all the best and hope they make a deep run.

Joel - Do you look last year and think if you were there we would make a deeper run?
    DMo - Big change in having James as the PG, give props to coach for putting him there and give him the initiation power - that is the main key, they added some dangerous shooters, the style they play fits all the players
    Joel - Brag about you being a good video game player - we have a gamer wall, would you play pro video games like FIFA
    DMO - am a big gamer but honestly, I don't play that much during the season, would be fun to play with someone next to you fun to play with your friends.
    Joel - would like to see you talk crap to a 13 year old busting on them
    DMo - I made a kid cry - I was playing with him and he was legitimately crying and yelling and screaming, I was feeling bad - was killing him.
    Joel - I wish you the best - and you get a new contract, and play for your country
    DMo - Well, youknow I miss you too, I have a lot of friends in Houston, always nice, and wish you all the best, I am playing feeling great, in the end things will work out.
    Joel - go easy on us tomorrow night.
    DMo - Alriht
    Joel - he is a good dude, and he literally lost 9m - feel sorry for him, will not be making it back as a pro gamer - will be good to see him play tomorrow against the Rox.

DD

Blake, roslolian and Postpremium like this.
  19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

-has no hard feelings towards Rockets, feels that all parties lost in the situation
    -says physicals are not always true. They're administered by the team doctor and the team ultimately makes the descion as to a pass or fail. Feels he's playing at his highest now and not injured as others have said before
    - looking forward to playing with Boogie and Anthony Davis on the same team. While other teams are going small, they are going big and will be tough for other teams
    -misses Houston and the people. Had a lot of friends

Some other stuff regarding video games....

EDIT: DD beat me too it

20. heypartner

And as every NBA fan knows, "role" and "minutes in that role" are not equal in every situation. btg just can't seem to comprehend that DMo is now in a drastically different situation, but under the same "role." His role won't change to backup PF, but his backup C minutes will go down.

Yet @Bobbythegreat accuses me of changing the narrative, by just pointing out that DMo has not played any PF minutes at NOLA.

bobby, every smart person around here knows that when you start throwing around the "Changing Narrative" card, it is you who are projecting that tactic onto others, because you are so accomplished at it.

Move on from your rather adorable attempts to project that lame tactic onto me.

Rashmon, roslolian and justtxyank like this.