1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016-17 International Signing Period

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, May 31, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I don't get this whole thing either...

We have overspend out limit this year by enough that we can only go up to 300K the next two years on international guys, and yet reports are we are the favorites for Gurriel's younger brother

anyone know what the rules really are on all of this stuff

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

From what I understand once his brother turns 23, he is not subject to the International signing rules.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Once a team over spends enough to incur the 2 year penalty of not being allowed to sign anyone over $300k, there is no reason for them not to continue to spend even more that period. There are no further/escalating penalties beyond the 2 year/$300k penalty. So it is in Houstons best interest to spend as much as it takes to acquire the most possible talent (I.e. Signing Lourdes will not result in any further penalties).

4. The Beard

But, from everything i've read, we wouldn't be signing Lourdes until at least October, which from my understanding would be in the next "signing period"

5. The Beard

That would make sense, i've read expect something in October and he turns 23 October 19th

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

October 2016 would fall under this signing period. July 2 is the first day of a new IFA signing period, and I believe it runs up to about a couple weeks before next July 2.

7. The Beard

It's a bit hard to find the actual MLB policy, but from reading several different writers it seems....

Once you are 23 you are not subject to the rules if you have played in a professional league that MLB recognizes. If you have only played professionally in Cuba you would have had to play at least 5 years, which he has probably done. But Lourdes has also played in the Nippan league which mlb recognizes, so i'm thinking the 23 years of age is a big deal. Even if we would be able to sign him anyway, once he becomes 23 it seems we would miss out on paying a huge tax

8. Buck Turgidson

Cubans who are 23 and have played 5 years in the Cuban League are exempt from intl draft pools (as are all other players who are 23 and have played as a professional in a league recognized by the MLB Commissioner’s office, i.e. Korea, Japan, Mexico, etc...). Gurriel is exempt starting in October, so he won't be signing before then.

The Astros have gone over the bonus pool in the current signing period, which runs from July 2 of this year until June of next year:

The signing period for international free agents is open from July 2 through June 15 of the following year. It is then followed by a dead period, from June 15 until July 2, during which no international players may sign contracts. On July 2, the dead period ends and the international signing period commences.

As best I can tell, the Stros are already over the max penalty of:

15%+ overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $300,000 during the following two international signing periods.

As I read it, the Stros can sign anybody they want until June of next year and the only additional penalty is the tax.

This is a really handy rundown on the rules, taken straight from Ground Control:

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/viva-el...a-primer-on-international-amateur-free-agency

1 person likes this.
  9. The Beard

Thanks for posting

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right. I should have mentioned that Lourdes is likely to wait until October which means he is a total free agent and not subject to any international signing period limitations (meaning any team, including Houston, can sign him without penalty). But the fact that there are no further penalties (other than tax) once a team goes over and incurs the 2yr/$300k limit penalty is why you still see Houston in the mix for remaining top players like Yanio Perez.

11. vince

vince Member

Hopefully the Astros keep loading up. As this is the year to do it. Who said Crane was cheap? After all he is paying 100% luxury tax for every additional dollar he signs players for above their limit which they've long since reached.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All 4 of the remaining MLB.com Top 30 guys should hopefully be in play for Houston. Houston is obviously very much in tune with the Cubans, combine that with how all-in they are this cycle and the fact that they're working out on Mexico (Luhnow's back yard) waiting to sign, I'm hopeful.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So.... MLB is considering implementing an international draft. The trainers in Latin America aren't having any of it, and it looks like some of the players might not be having any of it either.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don't think that's gonna end well for the trainers. Have fun playing in Japan for 1/10th the money.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Prediction: Gurriel signing will be announced the day after the World Series ends.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. Progs

Progs Member

Hope we sign Lourdes Gurriel Jr. He may be the last big time international free agent if MLB has it's way.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros voided their deal with Cionel Perez. Weird. Hope it's just an injury issue and they'll still be able to work something out.

moonsh0t and raining threes like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Nor should it. The buscones have leeched off of those kids for too long.

If you haven't seen Pelotero, you should.

19. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Top bonus: Cionel Perez, $2 million

- Fastball up to 96 during spring training, has also added a two-seam FB to repertoire

Anibal Sierra's bonus was slashed to $1.5 million due to vision issues.

- Sierra's tools "ticked up" after moving to the Dominican

Freudis Nova's bonus was reduced to $1.2 million due to an elbow issue.

- "exciting offensive profile from a player who has all the tools to stay at shortstop"
    - "plus speed with a plus arm that could get even stronger"

Other notable prospects

Yorbin Ceuta, Venezuelan SS: $1 million

- One of the best hitters in the class
    - Could see time in the GCL in 2017
    - Currently has a 45 arm, so that'll be key as to whether he stays at SS or moves over to 2B

Angel Macuare, Venezuelan RHP: $695,000

- Best secondary by far is the curve
    - Already questions as to whether the bullpen is a better fit for him

Deury Carrasco, Dominican SS: $480,000

- + arm, good athlete
    - More divisive opinions on his bat

Nerio Rodriguez, Dominican C: $450,000

- Father pitched parts of five MLB seasons with Baltimore, Toronto, Cleveland, and St. Louis
    - Born in New York and is bilingual
    - Has "present strength to hit for power" and enough feel for hitting to be average down the road

Jairo Solis, Venezuelan RHP: $450,000

- Fastball reached 91 when he signed, but he's now up to 94
    - Strike-thrower who didn't have the same pure stuff as Macuare
    - Secondary stuff has appeared to develop, seems to be a quick study; has a hard slider and is showing feel for a changeup with good action

Jeury Castillo, Dominican IF: $400,000

- Bat-first player
    - "repeatedly barrels balls for quality contact without much swing-and-miss"
    - Probably more of a 2B, but he's also taken reps at 3B

Jose Alvarez, Venezuelan C: $195,000

- "extremely athletic" for his position
    - "strong defensive skill set"
    - "good bat-to-ball skills from the right side"

Angel Ortega, Venezuelan RHP: $180,000

- "good pitchability for his age"
    - Upper-80s fastball