1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

The role that he was complaining about was promised to him though, Dwight made it clear in FA talks he wanted to be the center of the offense and Rockets agreed to it, it was pretty much an iron clad verbal promise. So why is it wrong for him to complain if thats not what the Rox were saying when they were pitching to him 3 years ago? Also Dwight wasn't the only guy who plaued horribly his last year, Harden came into the year out of shape and was the main reason Mchale got fired after 10 games. Are you hating on Harden now for being disinterested, complaining about his role and causing division in the team?

Of course you can criticize him for his crappy years, duh? The problem here is most people just put their hater shades on and don't acknowledge the good things he's done for the Rockets as well as say he is the one dragging their team down now. You have one poster claiming Clint Capela would have given the Rox 12 pts 10 rebs as a rookie and still led Rox to WCF. You have another blaming him for all the atlanta losses when guys like Bazemore are hitting 20% from the 3.

I'm not a big Dwight fan, I only paid attention to him because he signed with the Rox. But I don't like how people just make **** up left and right to slander him. Criticize him if he deserves it, bit give him props that are due to him too because the dude still spearheaded a WCF run and the Rox's best finish in 20 years.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

the shark and RudyTBag like this.
  3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Wait, don't athletes and celebrities have people that take care of stuff like insurance and registration, paperwork that bogs-down us plebeians?

I'd imagine if I was rich and famous, my entourage would first and foremost, consist of a jewish lawyer and an asian accountant to take care of my affairs and finances before I'd hit up the strippers and various baby mommas, of which Dwight has dozens.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Then he should have played for it.Dwight smiles for the cameras and then cries. None of his teammates like him. i'd say it's impossible to get Trev to hate you but he managed to accoplish that

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Arnovitz, just savage!

Richie_Rich, OmegaSupreme and J.R. like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sure you could get the services of Amare Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin. :D

snowconeman22 and ghettocheeze like this.
  7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

No thanks, I would have to pay worker's comp to Amare for blowing his knee during consultation, and also Lin would fumble my tax returns like it was game 6 against Portland.

I rather call Saul.

Easy likes this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

Dwight appears to be a good guy. Likes to have fun. Has been great in the communities he's played in. Definitely bringing some attributes to the table, and at one time was certainly an elite player. I had no problem with the Rockets signing him, and I was excited at the possibilities with him joining up with Harden.

Dwight played great in that Portland series. There just seems to be something that's missing with him. He likes winning when things are going great and he's getting his, but if he's not, his agenda is MORE important then the teams. It's very apparent that he's in BIG time denial of his current skills.

I wish nothing but the best for him, but it was definitely a blessing the Rockets were able to part ways with him.

He needs to wake up and realize he's not an elite player anymore even though there's such a glut of big men that enables him to be paid like a star. If he wants to truly win a ring he needs to grow up and put his agenda aside, and do what's best for the team team he's on. It wasn't the Lakers, it wasn't the Rockets, and it sure in the hell isn't the Hawks.

In a few yrs he may have the opportunity to sign on a true title contender at a WAY lower salary, however given his past BS these opportunities may be hard to find because teams may perceive him a cancer in the locker room. He says the right things, but his actions are totally contradictory. How committed is he to winning? Why the hell was he out that late on the day of a playoff game? I mean with Dwight it's ALWAYS SOMETHING!!!

Thus he should shut his mouth and cash these NBA checks as long as he can as winning a ring? That ship has sailed.

9. Embrace the clutch

Harden spearheaded that run, Dwight missed 41 games that year

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL Dwight

[​IMG]

The only happy Dwight Howard is an unhappy Dwight Howard.

Windhorst this morning: Mike Budenholzer gave up his president title. He was the driving force behind signing him. He lost his leader in the front office of the Hawks. Here's the problem: no market for centers. Only way is if you trade him for another center. Even if Howard wanted out & Hawks were willing, there isn't a place to send him. More likely, they try to retrofit the team around him & try again next year.

Hawks’ Dwight Howard to host screening of 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul’

No word if the screening/movie will be of Dwight himself.

Dwightmare II: Hawks’ Howard is living down to his reputation

Remind me again: Why did the Hawks sign this guy?

He’s no longer a great player. There are times you forget he’s on the floor. There were times in the Washington series the Hawks didn’t want him on the floor. But unless/until Paul Millsap re-ups, he’s the highest-salaried Hawk. He’s not the steady-going presence – not the player, either – that Al Horford was.

No, Howard is the guy the folks in Orlando will never forgive for putting the Magic through what became known as the Dwightmare. He’s the guy the Rockets let leave as a free agent, and a check of current events shows that Houston, with Clint Capela at center, improved from 41-41 to 57-27 and is still going in these playoffs.

Dwight Howard was once seen as one of his sport’s few indispensable men. He’s now easily dispensed with, unless you’re the team – most recently the Hawks – that just spent $70.5 million over three seasons, two of which remain. He did not make them better. (He did make them better at rebounding.) They ranked 27th among 30 clubs in offensive efficiency. They slipped from 48-34 before him to 43-39 with him.

And, as has been the case four different places, he’s not the guy who’s going to calm any roiled waters. He’s only going to roil them more. (Google “Stan Van Gundy.”) For all these reasons, he has no trade value.

I don’t know that Dwight Howard is a bad person, or even an especially bad driver. I do know that he has a now-indelible reputation as a bad fit, and he has lived down to that in his homecoming. And this latest bit, you must admit, was remarkably bad timing: Going 95 on 285 at 2:06 a.m. with a lapsed registration and no insurance on the morning of an elimination game. Holy mackerel.
    Out past 2 a.m. before playoffs? So much for Howard’s dedication

Some have wondered if the Hawks will trade Howard this offseason. I’m sure they’ll try. They’ve probably already tried. But there’s not a huge market for a center with $47 million left on his contract who can do only one thing consistently at this stage of his career (rebound).

It’s worth noting: Howard was a free agent last summer, and the Hawks might have been the only team genuinely interested in him (which made their contract offer that much stranger). So if the Hawks do manage to deal him, it will equate to a salary dump because they’re not likely to get any real assets back in return.

The Hawks plan to hire a new general manager after the recent demotions of coach Mike Budenholzer (formerly also the president of basketball operations) and Wes Wilcox (who has gone from general manager to “special adviser” to likely gone soon). Howard’s future will be one of the first major decisions.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There needs to be a 3-way garbage C trade with LA/ATL/NYK

Howard to NY (LOL)
    Mozgov to ATL
    Noah to LA

I remember back in the day two of the worst contracts were Gilbert Arenas and Rashard Lewis. People said those contracts could NEVER be moved. And yet they were moved.....for one another. This 3-way garbage shuffling feels like the answer.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cleveland could probably land him for Thompson and Frye. But they'd be worse off.

13. riko

riko Member

loser he was destroying us last season and without him we are thriving

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

I can see not getting registration, but insurance? if I was rich insurance would the be first thing I had. and lots of it. I would wanna know that even if I decided to play bumper cars during rush hour, I would still be rich.

15. riko

riko Member

LOL the hawks fan forums are killing him

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nice post. People misinterpret me into thinking I would still want Dwight here but I don't, he is nowhere near his ability when he first arrived and he doesn't seem to really want to win. His first 2 years were good enough for me to be glad he signed with the Rockets, but last year and this year he has regressed horribly.

I think Dwight doesn't really care about winning as much as he cares about being in the spotlight and center piece of the team. I remember he and Chris Paul talked about teaming up but Dwight didn't want to go to NO and CP3 was under contract.

18. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

So the Lakers told him not to develop a post game?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Probably James Harden's fault...

Dwight Howard dumps another agent

Atlanta Hawks starting center Dwight Howard and his agent, Andy Miller, have parted ways.

Howard signed with Miller after leaving Perry Rogers in April. Prior to Rogers, Howard was represented by Dan Fegan, with whom he severed ties in February.

"ASM and Dwight Howard's professional relationship has ended. We wish him luck in all his future endeavors," spokesman Dan Rohme told Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal.

Howard landed a three-year, $70.5 million contract with his hometown Hawks last summer. With Howard having two more years remaining on his deal, he could play without an agent over that time. That said, Howard doesn't appear to be a good fit with the Hawks, and they may try to trade him in the summer. For that reason, a new agent could be brought in to facilitate a trade out of Atlanta.

Howard and Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer are expected to meet at some point to review this past season and look ahead to 2017-18.

"It’s not just about Dwight," Budenholzer said. "I understand the questions, I understand Dwight’s frustrations. But offense is about five guys, and Dwight brings a lot to the table that can help us be a good offensive team. All of us have to figure out how to make it better."

Earlier this month, ESPN's Kevin Arnovitz reported that several NBA executives believe the best the Hawks can get for Howard is a second-round draft pick and cap relief.

During the 2016-17 regular season, Howard averaged 13.5 points, 12.7 rebounds and 1.4 assists.​

lulz

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, good luck Bud...