1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016-17] Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. BackdoorHarden

He would have derailed the Warriors by not playing D and asking why Klay and Curry shoot so many times. Imagine if he would do what Javale McGee is doing with the Warriors. That's all the Rockets wanted him to do and he would still be the best center in the NBA.

BUT NOOOO, he needed TOUCHES

plutoblue11 and Kendrick Lamar like this.
  2. BackdoorHarden

So this will be the 3rd coaches to tell him he has no offense in the last 5 years?

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. BackdoorHarden

2 more lefts on the contract for a 30 years old without basketball skill. Hawks going to be trying hard to dump this guy like the Rockets tried bit Dwight refused to go

4. Lightsnowaction

No Death lineup created.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Budenholzer needs to have a serious talk with Dwight, telling him that Capela has made him obsolete, and that players only meetings don't work, and that he is serious.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

...and none of his media interviews deserves its own thread.

BigMaloe, hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The difference between Bud and McFail/Bickerstaff is that Bud is a good coach who will straight up tell Dwight to deal with it. He is not going to hijack his scheme to fit Dwight Howard.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wonder what the Dwight apologists will say now. One of the points they make justifying Dwight quitting on the Rockets is Dwight was promised a position as the focal point of the offense. When the Rockets switched up the scheme, and wanted to make Harden the focal point because it was the smart move, it was OK for him to be a supreme jack ass.

It's starting to happen again.. I guess Bud said Dwight would always be the starter and be in the game in winning time? Since Bud went back on his promise, for the betterment of the team, Dwight is justified in being a fitted asshat.

Richie_Rich and RudyTBag like this.
  9. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Just from a legacy standpoint, I wish Harden can get his 2nd team all-nba from 2016 that he rightfully deserves

slothy420 likes this.
  10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Well said about free agent mercenary feel. But the STALKER analogy is too strong.

There's sense of appreciation and loyalty, and then there's unhealthy OBSESSION and compulsions. For instance, still liking Metta Peace/Ron Artest after leaving Houston while he basically auditioned for the Lakers and Kobe while playing them in the playoffs, that doesnt mean its following him wherever he goes and putting up a mural of him inside your home. (Yes Artest was traded FOR, he didnt choose to sign with Houston. But he was still just passing through Houston mercenary style. )

On Dwight, he did leave a sour taste at end, but it wasnt some scorched earth kind of thing like Scottie Pippen or Ed Reed with the Texans. Anyone can see he tried to make it work more than he ruined things.

11. threepointshot3

But...but, but harden is freezing him out. lol

12. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

There are so many issues with Dwight on the court that he, 31 years old and 13 years in the NBA, still does not seem to understand. Back when he was in Orlando, he was physically dominant and gifted enough to get away with many bad habits. Now at 31 years of age and a step slower, his weaknesses and bad habits on the court is beginning to magnified.

Dwight has never been an efficient low post scorer during his prime. Because of his immense athleticism and how easy it was for him early on, he failed to develop any sort of skill that will help him as his athleticism declines. He is no longer a defensive anchor that can completely shut down the paint. Players are no longer afraid to attack Dwight Howard head on. He is horrific on pick & roll defense, just a non factor when he has to switch. He does not box out like he used to, its really inconsistent. He rarely lift his hands up on defense and bend his knees while defending a player. His defensive awareness, especially for an NBA veteran, is extremely lacking at times.

Offensively, he is even worse. He still wants his post touches and seem lost at times on pick & roll play. He does not put full effort into his screens, oftentimes setting half-hearted screens. When the ball is moving, he seems lost. He is not a smart passer and turns the ball over often. Overall, Dwight has become obsolete because of his mindset. It will be tougher for him if he continues to pout and whine about not getting enough touches or playing time because the negatives he brings is starting to outweigh the positives.

13. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

only coach dumb enough to give dwight post touches was mcfail

14. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Surprise, surprise the big oak is at it again!. When will he learn that at some point he needs to look in the mirror and see the problem is right in front of him.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

i can not listen to that man speak. Excruciating to get through when he mumbles so softly.

I really don't think even POP could work with Dwight. There's something wrong with him mentally and i'm not saying as in soft mentally, i mean he needs professional help. This guy is probably going to have a break down after his playing days are over. I bet he gets really obese even and just stops caring about anything and dies young due to health related issues.

NBA needs better mental health care practice. Maybe then, guys like Steve Francis, Eddie Griffin, Jayson Williams, Shawn Kemp, etc could have long and healthy careers and continue with a good life after their playing days.

acsorelle4 likes this.
  16. threepointshot3

The Hawks fans forums all over the net are destroying him because of his weak play.The majority feel he is not even a starter anymore.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

let the offseason yapping begin....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...role-in-atlanta-but-he-shouldnt-be/101141042/

Dwight Howard's first season with his hometown Atlanta Hawks went about as well as many expected with the No. 5 seed in the East and first-round exit. Yet, Dwight Howard isn't happy.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

The Hawks lost Friday's season-ending Game 6 to Washington, and Howard was benched for the entire fourth quarter. The reasoning was simple: Atlanta needed spacing and shooting to overcome a 22-point deficit. Howard brings the Hawks none of those things. Without Howard on the floor, the Hawks staged a furious comeback before John Wall took over.

Still, Howard was furious. He opened up about his frustration to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Howard is not happy. The day after the Hawks were drop-kicked into the offseason by Washington, he used the word "pissed" three times to describe his feelings about the way both his and the team's the season ended.

"It was very difficult," Howard said Saturday. "I want to play. I want to be out on the floor. I want to make a difference. I want to make an impact, and I can't do that on the bench."

The report continued to note that Howard refused to accept matchups or the Hawks' ball movement-oriented offense as reasons to sit the former All-Star. But anyone who watched the Hawks-Wizards series could see that Howard struggled to keep up with the Hawks' pace. He couldn't run the floor, and at times (a lot of times), he even struggled to catch simple passes to post or hold on to rebounds. When Howard can't do those things, his value is completely diminished.

Howard isn't the same offensive player he was with Orlando, and aside from flashes in Game 4 and 6, he was completely absent offensively for the entire series. He's still a rebounding force that Atlanta lacked with Al Horford and a big body on defense, but it came at a price. His five turnovers in Game 6 gave head coach Mike Budenholzer no choice but to sit the big man to give Dennis Schroder and Paul Millsap the freedom to go to work.

When it came down to it, though, the Hawks were a flawed team. It was that way before the season, and nothing about them changed that perception. They rely on an ultra-talented (but at times erratic) point guard in Schroder and overpaid to keep Kent Bazemore who regressed considerably in 2016. Their anchor, Millsap, is expected to opt-out, so it really could be the Schroder-Howard show in Atlanta next season. So, barring a complete blowup and rebuild, Howard will have a major role in 2017.

He just has to realize and accept his own limitations.

18. the shark

the shark Member

When Dwight looks in the mirror he sees roslolian.

DreamShook likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

What coach then? As far as i remember McHale was more a cheerleader

20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Dwight Howard as an Atlanta Hawk? How about Dwight Howard still thinks it is 2011. He does not need a reality check, he needs a calendar.