1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans QB: Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, Jun 15, 2015.

?

Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2015.
  1. Ryan Mallett

88.8%
  2. Brian Hoyer

11.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really if Mallett really is worse than Hoyer like you seem to think. We'd be better off going back to what we had last year over going with Hoyer or someone worse than Hoyer.

That said, I think Mallett will be fine, talk during OTA's means nothing unless it's talk about a serious injury.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

B'Ob just decided to keep Mallet and trade Fitz. To trade Mallet for Fitz before the season is just weird, no matter how happy it would make you

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah, thinking back to last year we had the hopes of well at least if Fitzy starts stinkin it up we have Mallett. This year well at least if Hoyer starts stinkin it up we have Fitzy? Shoot me now!

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it would be pretty tragic. Either way, I think Mallett will look better and better once camp rolls around and Hoyer will be Hoyer.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

6. Airdough

Airdough Member

Who here is saying Mallet is worse, all people are posting are outside observations so far? Neither looks like a good option on paper coming into the season, we just have to trust the coaches to get the most out of them.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not really fair to count him as a legitimate voice in a QB conversation, but there's at least one here suggesting it.

8. Mr. Clutch

Your QB track record is definitely good though. I mean youre still holding out hope that Fitz comes back

9. Mr. Clutch

It is all outside observations from people reporting at training camp so far. But baaed on those early indications, Hoyer is better

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Over Hoyer? Sure. That context matters. In a perfect world you don't want either Hoyer or Fitz starting for you.

Honestly my QB track record is pretty good. Very rarely am I wrong about a QB.

11. Airdough

Airdough Member

Sweet, I didn't know Art Briles posted on Clutchfans. Welcome Art!

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clever, but it still doesn't change the fact that I'm right....

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's not a very good point actually. How many games has Hoyer started under BOB in the system that he knows already from backing up Brady, on this Texans' team? It may be a better point if Hoyer was still playing for the Browns. Fitz was much better in Houston than he had been before and he didn't even have experience in the system. Unless you think that players can't improve based on the situation they're in.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you think playing for BOB is going to make Hoyer a fundamentally different caliber of player than he ever has been in the NFL or college? I mean, that's one theory...

Sure Fitz played a lot better than we expected, but he actually had some success before, BOB just brought that back out a bit. That's totally different from making a guy who looked terrible everywhere, finally look good.

Even if BOB makes Hoyer the best version of Hoyer possible, it's still a borderline awful QB and a significant downgrade from last season. Our hopes have to be with Mallett showing that he can re-create the magic he had with his first outing.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Significant? A drop from Brady to Hoyer I would consider significant. Not Fitzpatrick to Hoyer. And why are you now dick riding Mallett, the guy you trashed as not even worthy of trading a 7th round pick for? Change of hearth after watching one decent game?

I have faith that BOB can turn Hoyer into a Shaubian type system QB. And that's the absolute ceiling you're going to get out of him.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Going from an 86 QB rating overall or 95 for just Fitz to something probably in the 70's for Hoyer is "significant". Going from a 60.8 completion percentage overall or 63 percent for just Fitz to something closer to 56 percent with Hoyer is what I'd call "significant". Going from 22 TD's and only 13 interceptions to Hoyer being lucky to break even is what I'd call "significant".

I'm not saying Mallett is a great QB, just that this season he's our best hope. In no way have I had a "change of heart" about Mallett, but Hoyer is just THAT bad. He's a QB that couldn't completely beat out Manziel.....there's no way in hell that he has a ceiling anywhere near as high as good Schaub, but he might be as "good" as 2013 Schaub.

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair he did beat out Manziel. He started 14 games and it wasn't until their season was lost (and he was complete garbage) that Cleveland decided to see what they had in Manziel. Then Manziel and Hoyer took turns being garbage. But Manziel never beat him out.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

True. When he started against the Texans he had 11 TD to 5 INT, and there were talks of him getting an Andy Dalton type deal. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-not-talking-as-qb-eyes-andy-dalton-like-deal

He just fell off at the end of the season after Manziel came in. He can come in and be adequate, but the Texans are still in a a bad place at the QB position.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a good point. The beginning of the season there was definitely some talks about Hoyer being the guy there but then Cleveland remembered they're cleveland and imploded on themselves