1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans QB: Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, Jun 15, 2015.

?

Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2015.
  1. Ryan Mallett

88.8%
  2. Brian Hoyer

11.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....which is exactly why they didn't win the Superbowl. It was one of the most foolish decisions in the history of the Superbowl, not exactly something that proves your point. They held him to the fewest pass attempts in the NFL and it got them to the Superbowl, they then tried to rely on his arm and the Patriots won the Superbowl as a direct result. If they stick with what got them there, they are back to back champions.

2. baubo

baubo Member

I would pick the 3rd option, don't care either way. This is like asking who's a better starting PG, Prigioni or Terry.

Don't speak so soon. I am actually not sure we improved at QB.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Anyone else feel that Ryan Mallet is a rich mans Case Keenum?

4. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure your could compare 2 less similarish things if you tried.

Dolphins are just a rich mans aquasquirrel?

5. Major

Major Member

[​IMG]

You don't seem have even a basic clue about the topic you're debating. The end result of a play is irrelevant to the discussion.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont think Obrien is convinced that either one of them is the answer, thus having both of them battle it out for the 1st string. If you could take the mental makeup of Hoyer with the physical tools of Mallet then I think you'd be set. Paging Dr. Frankenstein?

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Paging Qyburn!

[​IMG]

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So if a team foolishly decided to call for Tim Tebow to pass the ball at the end of the game, would that somehow make him a better QB? The fact that a coach foolishly decided to trust a QB that can't be trusted doesn't make that QB a trustworthy QB.

If BOB decides to trust Mallett at the end of games, does that make him a different QB than he is?

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I hope Mallett but will support Hoyer if that's who OB decides to go with. I cheered for Fitzy, so will cheer for Hoyer if it comes down to it.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I'll certainly be pulling for Hoyer if he ends up being the starter, maybe he performs significantly better than he ever has before and isn't too much of a downgrade from what we had at QB last season.....but it'll certainly change my prediction of how many games the Texans should win.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I've been saying for 2 weeks and I'll say it again: I believe Brian Hoyer will be Texans' starting QB when they open against Kansas City.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/610832313023225856">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Hoyer is such a nautral in the system implemented by coach Bill O'Brien and OC George Godsey. QB gets a lot of freedom at the line.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/610832514265931777">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hoyer is smooth, smart and accurate. Looks like he's been in this system for years. Has a nice touch on all throws. Looked good today.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/610832679320158209">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's because he, uh, has been, John.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

PDS ‏@PatDStat

If today repeats itself through mini-camp and the start of training camp, Brian Hoyer will be named the starter.

O’Brien still feels that there is not enough both the QBs can do to separate themselves to be named the starter. #Texans

Hoyer has a much better feel for throwing the football. His touch is better than Mallett’s, today was pretty clear. #Texans

Best Brian Hoyer had looked from all the workouts. Was pretty solid all practice throwing the football. #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

"The most consistent guy," O'Brien says, on how he'll chose his starting quarterback. #Texans

Brian Hoyer is very natural in this offense. He told me this offense is like coming home and it shows during practices. #Texans

Strong day for Brian Hoyer today. More and more of those that we've seen. Minicamp will be fully open to us. #Texans

@taniaganguli: @SportsHutch Fitzpatrick was not very consistent, actually. made a lot of mistakes.

14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it will be Hoyer and I won't be that disappointed. I'm intrigued by what he can do in this offense.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I didn't understand replacing Fitzpatrick with Hoyer. I don't see Hoyer as an upgrade at all. Maybe O'Brien thinks Hoyer is a better fit for our offense or something. I feel I already know what Hoyer can do, so I would like to see Mallett as the starting QB on opening day.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you, there's very little chance that Hoyer would be even as good as what we had last season. Familiarity could be the reason BOB went after him, but I would hope he wasn't counting on him to be a starter.

Hoyer makes sense as veteran depth, but his entire career (including college) has shown that he's not an accurate passer and doesn't make very good decisions with the ball.

If Mallett is worse than Hoyer, the Texans have very little chance of doing better than 7-9 even with the easy schedule unless BOB absolutely works a miracle.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick did a solid job as a starter last year, but my guess is Bill thought he was limited in the type of offense he could run because of his lack of arm strength. Don't get me wrong, Hoyer can't exactly gun it all over the field, but his arm is better than Fitz. Fitz has always been known as having one of the weaker arms in the NFL.

18. Mr. Clutch

He also would hold the ball too long inexplicably.

Like the time he turned a 2nd and goal at the 2 into a 3rd and goal at the 12.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's possible, but Fitz is a much more accurate QB than Hoyer, and they both make bad decisions with the ball. Is the trade of a little bit more arm strength for a lot less accuracy really a good trade off?

20. Mr. Clutch