1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the WEST FINALS Game 3 -- Can the Timberwolves get back in this? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Drafting Collins would give you an immediate starting RT that in a couple years will kick over to LT when Duane drops off or is cut. It's fixing a position of need now, as well as planning for the future. He'll be a legit LT in the NFL.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Similar to how DeAndre played WR2 for a couple of years but moves over to WR1 when the situation dictated letting go of AJ.

Newton has made big strides and has become a good RT, but he's never going to be an LT. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have an RT that's also a LT in waiting.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

A lot of people think Collins is an NFL G, he might be able to play RT, but he's not going to take LT when Brown is gone.

4. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

And a lot of people think otherwise.

5. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Is Landon Collins the SS worth the pick? With the uncertainty surrounding DJ, and many mocks having Collins fall in the 19-20s range, I don't think he would be a bad pick. He fills a need for us, and may end up being a potential steal, seeing as he was mocked in the top 10 before the combine.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Yes. I think he has All-Pro potential.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 7h7 hours ago
    Finally finished the write-up for the second half of my Pre-FA Mock. Tired. Be sure to check out picks 1-16 here--> http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/inside-the-front-office-mock-draft-pre-free-agency/#0

INSIDE ‘THE FRONT OFFICE’ PRE-FREE AGENCY 2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
    http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/inside-the-front-office-mock-draft-pre-free-agency/#0

16) Houston (FRONT OFFICE DISCUSSION) WR – Amari Cooper (Alabama), OT – Cedric Ogbuehi (Texas A&M), ILB – Stephone Anthony (Clemson), SS – Landon Collins (Alabama) and CB – Kevin Johnson (Wake Forest) were upgrades at positions of need. We could easily re-sign RT Derek Newton but having a prospect like Ogbuehi available, even with the recent injury, it’s tempting. Cedric could come in and be an upgrade at the right tackle position. In a year or three when we’re ready to move on from Duane Brown, Ogbuehi can transition over to the left tackle position.

Johnathan Joseph is owed tons of money and we could walk away from that money to free up cap money but his veteran leadership is needed in a youthful defensive back group. Kareem Jackson could possibly test the free agency waters and if a team gets desperate they may offer something that we don’t feel comfortable matching. Johnson is a shutdown corner in coverage and gives us a building block for the future with other corners on the team like AJ Bouye, Daryl Morris and Jumal Rolle. Our concern with replacing Kareem with Kevin is in the manner they attack the running game. Kareem is a force that goes in full force, while Johnson may be the best cover corner in the draft, he attacks backs like someone with arachnophobia going in the attic.

We selected DJ Swearinger two years ago to be our strong safety of the future. At the time we knew he was limited in coverage but thought he would at least be a better box safety in coverage than what’s been displayed. Landon Collins could take over DJ’s tasks that he does well and accomplish them at a higher level. Landon would also add a new dynamic that’s lacking in Swearinger’s game, coverage ability.

We decided to give Brian Cushing a lot of money despite the fact that he’s never been able to stay healthy, in college or in the pros. We set up the contract so we wouldn’t be able to release him until the year of our lord two thousand forty nine. Stephone Anthony is an inside linebacker that would allow us the flexibility to play him next to Cushing, similar to Bowman and Willis in San Francisco. If Cushing was injured or one day in a world far far away where his contract doesn’t exist, Anthony could step in to replace him.

Our hopes were that Kevin White or DeVante Parker would still be on the board when we came on the clock. Amari Cooper was only slightly rated lower on our board behind Parker. Cooper will be a welcomed addition to our offense that needs players that can win early and often in their routes. Cooper will join DeAndre Hopkins as our pass catchers in the L.A.D. (life after Dre) generation. Amari beats press with a deadly shimmy, has great routes and like DeAndre he’s deadly after the catch. His speed and acceleration is the compliment that we need opposite of Hopkins. Texans select WR, Alabama, Amari Cooper

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How did Coop's stock drop so quickly? Ran a great 40 and he from a top 5 prospect to a mid 1st rd pick. He would be the perfect play maker next to Hopkins

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

It's mostly because he isn't flashy. He's a sure catcher, good route runner, and is overall seen as the safest WR pick. A few other guys have physical abilities that eclipse Coopers, in which gives them a possible "higher ceiling".

10. Cannonball

Kevin White really boosted his position at the combine. He was being projected behind Cooper before that.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

reminds me of faster version of Reggie Wayne. Definitely will take that.

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

why the hell are we getting, even consideting getting Brian Hoyer? I like BOB I really do but why Hoyer!?!!?!?!?!?!

13. Cannonball

Just from that description, it looks an awful lot like Andre.

I looked up what his NFL Comparison is and found a variety of responses. Marvin Harrison, Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, Jordy Nelson, Odell Beckham, Marqise Lee.

I still don't think he'll fall to us though.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Me neither. I would be shocked if he fell past Vikings and dolphins.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd be fine with Hoyer if it didn't cost us Mallett. And if we got Cooper, I'd be ecstatic.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

But if they really are looking at free agents seriously

I think Wilfork should be priority #1

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Looks like Tackle is off the draft list, at least for the first 4 rounds? Probably snag a developmental guy late.

Still need better depth at C and G though.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If we are drafting for need, I'd expect a WR, CB, or Nose in the first round. A decent amount of depth at nose this year, it seems.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

On Braddock projecting Cooper... you need to look at his whole draft. He says it's not a consensus draft but his analysis of the front office priorities. He's the only place I've seen Cooper drop to 16. (but I liked it)

If they sign Cobb or Torrey Smith I wouldn't expect a WR to be the pick.

20. Cannonball

There are kind of some bizarre picks in there. Mariota going #12 to the Browns with the Jets not going QB and Rams picking Hundley at #10.