1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The bigger concern is if Clowney will ever return to form.

In other words: not if, but how.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is also true. Since we don't have access to information such as the specific location of the injury and the size of the injury we can't know how well or even if he'll fully recover. If it was a small injured area like I've heard some say then the odds are pretty good that he'll make a full recovery....so long as that "small injury" isn't in a spot that won't heal well.

At this point, Clowney could be a multiple pro bowler or a bust and there isn't any way to know for sure.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I had that impression too.
    I definitely am not as excited about this draft as I was last years, but the first three are all potential first rounders.
    Now we have to wait a season or two to get a better idea, including the guys from last years draft.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2nd rd pick Randy Gregory got a Cowboys tattoo this weekend after being drafted by the team.
    (via <a href="https://twitter.com/RandyGregory_4">@RandyGregory_4</a>) <a href="http://t.co/QNMaTCoVq4">pic.twitter.com/QNMaTCoVq4</a></p>&mdash; NFL on ESPN (@ESPNNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/595637855860297729">May 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair, I just posted it to say that I'm glad the Texans didn't draft him, the guy is a lunatic.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Was a no show to 3 pre draft interviews. I'm glad Rick passed on that guy.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jason Terry disagrees

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Draft grades from different websites:
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...make-the-grade-across-the-country/#32677101=0

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Where did you get that from?

Bryan Fischer, NFL.com: C-
    (Kevin) Johnson can start early on, and landing (Jaelen) Strong was a steal. Beyond that? Not great.

Rob Rang, CBS Sports: C-minus
    Perhaps the most fluid cover corner of this draft, Kevin Johnson made a lot of sense for the Texans, a club that struggled against the pass a year ago when their “other” KJ (Kareem Jackson) was injured. There are some concerns about Johnson’s size and physicality but given the lack of power running in the AFC South (and the dynamic passing attack from AFC South leading Indianapolis), building the secondary to complement a potentially deadly pass rush makes sense. While I love the selections of wideout Jaelen Strong and defensive tackle Christian Covington later, otherwise the rest of the Texans’ draft lacks immediate help and isn’t likely to push Houston closer to the playoffs.

It seems like the general consensus was that the 1st and 3rd round picks, and in most cases the 2nd round pick as well, were good. The other picks, not so much.

13. MystikArkitect

"I did it for the team."

#snickers

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I agree with most of these grades. It was an average draft, nothing that jumps out other than the Strong pick in the 3rd round. I'd probably give us a B- or C+ grade.

I think KJ in the first was a good pick. He has potential to be a nice replacement for JJo. I always question first round picks that arent going to be immediate starters, but CB is a very important position, so it's probably good that he gets a year of being eased onto the playing field before he's given the chance to be a full time starter in 2016. More of a safe pick than a game changing pick...at least for 2015.

McKinney will be solid for us and I think he might pile up some big numbers as far as tackles are concerned. He can also be good blitzing up the middle. I was more on the Kendricks bandwagon, but I still have no issues with McKinney.

Strong will be a solid contributor and someone that has a lot of potential with some good coaching.

Mumphery and Cliett look like major reaches for where we selected them.

Covington might make the team.

Im not much of a fan of the Hilliard selection.

Overall, nothing mind blowing. First 3 picks are solid...the rest are whatev. Still, if those first 3 find the field and have some success, then it really doesnt matter what the other 4 selections do. I'll take 3 solid players in a draft based on recent draft failures of the Texans.

15. Airdough

Airdough Member

Because draft grades mean so much right now. Looking forward to seeing the rookies get out there for mini camp and getting started on hopefully building the next Texans contender.

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Would Covington play nose tackle? He seems to be slow in pursuit

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

No, He'll be a pass rushing DE.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Mel Kiper midseason draft review

Houston Texans
    Great start: Keith Mumphery has been the pleasant surprise for a class that just hasn't shown much so far. Kevin Johnson looked really good a few times early on, but has experienced some typical growing pains, which was not unexpected, given how hard it is to transition at cornerback. Benardrick McKinney has started but missed time.

What we'll learn: Whether Jaelen Strong can play more than a bit part. We know he has physical talent, but he just hasn't won the reps.[/rquoter]

19. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

What has Mumphery done to deserve praise?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

They're all turds but you gotta choose one 'bright' turd.

Round 1, Pick 16 (16) Kevin Johnson
    Round 2, Pick 11 (43) (from Browns) Benardrick McKinney
    Round 3, Pick 6 (70) (from Jets) Jaelen Strong
    Round 5, Pick 39 (175) (compensatory selection) Keith Mumphery
    Round 6, Pick 35 (211) (compensatory selection) Reshard Cliett
    Round 6, Pick 40 (216) (compensatory selection) Christian Covington
    Round 7, Pick 18 (235) Kenny Hilliard