1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There is a shortage of quality FA CBs, so KJ will get paid. No "home" discount.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not looking for him to take a discount... but not going to "over-pay" him either. Let some other team make that decision, and then the Texans can pick him up again when he becomes a cap casualty in 2 years.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Hmm. Draft needs?

If I were guessing, I'd put them in this order.

- FS (always a sore spot for us, getting a good one would ease the pressure on our CB2)
    - MLB (I'm really worried that we need to be prepared for life without Cushing)
    - CB (this is dependent on a few things, getting a good cover safety, bringing back or cutting Joseph, and Bouye's development)
    - RT (QBerry's return is great news but we have to prepare as if he won't be there, and I'm basically writing off Fat Predator completely)
    - OLB (Reed is hitting the market, Mercilus will too next year, luckily edge rushers are easier to find)
    - RB (This is Arian's last year in a Texans uniform and BOB's offense needs a good passing RB)
    - WR (Johnson's departure is big, but BOB's offense can hum along fine without him... plus we have Posey, Martin, and C.J. who need to step up)

1 person likes this.
  4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The positive of letting AJ. go is that we will have the money to keep our own free agents.
    If that falls into place, the next issue is the health of our LB's. But our receiver corps behind Hopkins is suspect.

So again I'd think you would take a BPA #1, if you think there is a future pro bowler there at almost any position, or replace a starter lost to FA. Then you better get a top 10 WR or safeties will be keying on Arian. A speed guy that can own up the second level would help Hopkins and Foster.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think we need to make WR a higher priority. Posey, Martin, and CJ had a combined 11 catches for 136 yards and 1 TD last season. Don't think we necessarily need to grab one in the 1st round as I believe there is a pretty big drop off after Cooper, White, and Parker.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's kind of the point. We have invested significant picks in players at what are now positions of need. We need to give those players the chance to prove themselves before dumping picks into those spots, since we have areas that have *zero* starters-in-waiting.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think we'll need to bring in a decent FA WR to be our #2 unless we plan on drafting one highly (if one of the top 3 are available). The only good WR the Texans have ever drafted have been AJ and Hopkins and both were first round picks. You can't count on a rookie WR being productive, especially if you don't get one early. Unless we spend our #1 on one, I'm not confident about them finding somebody in the draft who can immediately step in as WR2.

8. gucci888

These guys have had plenty of of chances to prove themselves and don't think they have done anything to deem themselves "starters-in-waiting."

Keshawn has played in every game since drafted yet had 6 catches last year.
    Posey has battled injuries but other than being a 3rd round pick, hasn't shown a thing.
    I'm hoping CJ will improve but can't go into next season putting a lot of stock into him.

Plus, I wouldn't consider two 3rd rounders and a 4th round pick to be significant picks, not enough to say we can't invest more if it is a big position of need at least.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

CB and WR are two critical positions.

Im curious to see what value the market dictates for KJ. I do not want to spend a dollar more than he is worth.

I'd go CB in 1st and WR in 2nd.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Posey is interesting, and I would definitely like to see what he can do with a full year of playing time. CJ I believe will become a lot better. Obrien himself said the TE position is the hardest position of his offense other than QB. Martin however is finished. He doesn't have breakaway speed, hands to catch a ball, or the ability to even return a kick. He is a wasted roster spot. I think we'll hit the WR spot in the 2nd or 3rd round. Definitely need help.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

As a solid #2 corner I think KJ is going to get at a minimum $8 mil with the market probably driving that up. It wouldn't hurt if JJo took an extension with a overall salary drop closer to 8 or 9 mil himself. Would love to save another $4 mil off the back end.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

KJ should go to the Seahawks. Play on the opposite side of Sherm and he would kill it over there.

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I'd like to see some quality depth though - if any one on that line goes out, who do we have to step in?
    And of course, WR is now a fairly high priority.

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

You don't think Jaelen Strong or Dorial Green Beckham will make it in the league?
    Personally, I think Sammy Coates will also be a decent receiver in the nfl.
    They don't have to project as top 5 in the league in five years to still be capable receivers.

15. gucci888

Never said they aren't capable, just not sure they are 1st rounders.

16. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

anyone got Kipers latest mock?

17. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

No. But I saw someone post this

LSU OT La'el Collins projected at No. 16 overall to Houston in Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 3.0

1 person likes this.
  18. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Kiper Analysis:

The departure of Andre Johnson isn't going to make make the Texans depart from the blueprint of a team that can win the physical battle at the line of scrimmage. Depending on what happens in free agency the Texans could be looking for immediate help at right tackle and potentially guard depending on how they decide to move people around. Collins is a player many have pegged as a dominant NFL guard (not a bad thing to have), but I think he can stay at tackle and play well. At a minimum he's going to be fantastic in the run game, as he can simply take people where they don't want to go.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There is a reason why Posey was not able to get on the field, he stinks. Expect both Posey and Martin to be gone next season.

I think the Texans will bring in a guy like Hartline or Shorts to be the #2, and then draft another WR in the 2-4th round.

20. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Thanks. Not sure I get that pick though.