1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think Petty has more upside. He's faster and bigger. That's for damn sure. Has very good work ethic..should be a starting NFL QB at some point, IMO.

Savage looked meh but that's how most rookie QB's look.

1 person likes this.
  2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Petty may have the most to gain this weekend. If he has a good combine he could be a second round pick. If he still has some of the accuracy issues that plagued him this season he could fall to the sixth round.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

How is he bigger? At the Senior Bowl Petty measured at 6'2 3/4", 230 lbs. At last years combine, Savage measured at 6'4", 228 lbs.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's more muscular.. That's for sure. A tough runner. Savage is slow footed.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Missed that. My bad.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From Tony Pauline at the combine:

[RQUOTER]
    I'm told the Houston Texans are not happy with not happy with Louis Nix and will target a nose tackle during the draft.*

[/rquoter]

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now that would be pretty big news. I know there was some talk about not liking his attitude and commitment to being a pro so this is either an attempt to send him a message, or a sign that they are moving on.

8. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

And another wasted draft pick if true... Draft class after draft class being a major disappointment especially in the mid rounds. Sigh...

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I don't understand how a professional organization pulls this. I get not liking Nix. Okay. He's fat and has a shotty attitude. I get it. BUT YOU TRADED UP TO GET HIM! Did we not think to look into this? I'm sure some diligent, reasonable amount of research would have illustrated why this guy had red flags. I'm not against drafting guys with red flags, heck thats why players fall in the draft. I just don't get how Nix blind-sighted us. If you trade up, you better be pretty sure who you're getting. I'm not really a fan of trading up for a red flag type player unless you're sure you can alleviate that flag.

This is looking more and more like the Brandon Harris trade up.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Rick Smith is the God father to Cal McNair's kids. That is all.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Petty may be the better athlete, but he's not the better QB. And it's by a WIDE margin. He's very inacurate, he never read beyond the his 1st target, once that was taken away from him he tucked and ran. He doesn't know how to make progressions, and he doesn't throw with anticipation or touch.

Petty has 4th/5th RD talent. He can develop into a backup, even that will take a couple of years.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And that's why Nix fell. He would've been a first round pick had he not been injured. There was always going to be risk involved in picking him, and that risk is why he went in the 3rd and not the 1st. And most people were happy to take that chance. If he'd been able to get healthy and play to his potential, the payoff would've been huge. I distinctly remember that the sentiment on Clutchfans was that "since our 3rd round picks don't pan out anyway, might as well take the risk with Nix." Hell, posters were screaming for us to draft him and were disappointed when we took Fiedoriwicz at the top of the 3rd instead of him. He was generally seen as a risk worth taking at the time. It's only now in retrospect that people are really questioning the pick.

13. MystikArkitect

For every Tyrann Mathieu there's about 10 Louis Nix/Johnny Manziel/Sam Montgomery/Royce Whites.

Wonder who our high risk/definite bust draft pick will be this year.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm okay with drafting red flag players. Like you said, Nix graded out well, even with the flags.

My point was this: I'm not a fan of MOVING UP for red flag players. If you're going to trade for a draft pick, you have to make sure that red flag(s) can be alleviated. Yes, his notable red flag was his knee injury--a valid concern. But it falls on the Texans FO to do further investigation, and it's almost common sense that a reasonable inspection could've uncovered deeper issues like lack of seriousness/professionalism (or whatever reason the FO isn't happy with him).

This was a high risk, high reward move, and it just didn't pay off. I'm okay with high risk, high reward moves so long as we do our due diligence. But, objectively speaking, it looks like we did not do our due diligence. Granted, I'm also not in the draft room, so what the hell do I know.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When can people sign . . . . basically when will we know if we sign Mallet or not?

Rocket River

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

League year and free agency begin 4:00 p.m. March 10.
    I believe players can be resigned now however.
    Whether or not Texans have made an offer yet has not been revealed.
    I am sure news will leak out once something happens.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Couple quick thoughts after the combine:

Trae Waynes (CB) would be an ideal pick with Jonathan Joseph becoming a FA next year and possible cap casualty. CB instantly becomes a #1 priority if Kareem leaves. Waynes had a great combine and solidified himself as the best CB prospect.

There could be as many as 5 defensive tackles taken in the 1st round. Definitely not the sexiest pick but a lot of good talent in the interior this year. If we don't resign Pickett, I could us taking a DT with only Powe and Nix currently on the roster.

1 person likes this.
  18. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Very good analysis. After some thought(And the 40 Yard Dash hype I was feeling died down), I actually think Waynes will become available at our pick but I don't think we necessarily are obligated to take him. Waynes may have turned a lot of heads with that combine, but I can't really say for sure that he solidified his position as the best. Jalen Collins and Ronald Darby look pretty sharp as well. Bottom line is, we need to draft a corner. This is kinda ridiculous. Since we drafted Kareem, we have not since drafted a corner in the first six rounds except for Brandon Harris, who is currently not on the roster. I'm not saying we don't have depth at the position, but that's actually pretty surprising and somewhat shocking.

Also, with Reed set to become a free agent and the uncertainty surrounding Jadeveon Clowney, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Bud Dupree. He fills what could become a pressing need and provides a solid pass rush to help alleviate pressure off of J.J. Watt and he has some solid ability to drop back in zone coverage. He would be a great fit for this 3-4 Defense. If Danny Shelton is available also, that becomes a priority grab in my eyes.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I would like to resign Pickett even if we draft a DT.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A Watt-Shelton combo would be ridiculous but a lot of folks have him slated as a Top 5 pick.

Jordan Phillips is the other NT to keep an eye on in the first round and think he'd be a good pickup in a trade-back scenario. Unfortunately I wouldn't be too confident in any picks we'd get back in return.