1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There is absolutely no reason why Petty has more upside than Savage. Please tell me why you think I'm wrong...

Granted, it's hard to really say anyone has more upside than anyone. You just don't know who could potentially be better than who, unless you're talking about rare can't miss people. But at this point, what says Savage has less upside than Petty? Because Petty can move around better?

2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Is Dawson really expect to drop to the 4th? My recollection is that Dawson actually graded better than Perryman (Perryman was pretty pedestrian against the pass last year), but that Dawson may drop to the 2nd due to character issues. Both are end 1st-mid 2nd prospects I think.

But you're right, we will have to see if there is better ILB value later in the draft. I just don't think it's exactly deep this year. Could be wrong! Primary point was I'd like to come out with top prospects at the ILB & TE positions. I just watch a lot of U football, which is why I targeted those guys :grin:.

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

They should draft a kicker in the first round. :grin:

4. Remii

Remii Member

Don't like the 1st round pick. Doesn't appear to be much separation between the corners so they don't have to draft one in the 1st.

I hope they go after Benardrick McKinney in the 2nd round. I mean did you guys not watch that Mississippi St defense this past year...??? The kid is 6-5 250 and runs like the wind. Plus he can play ILB and OLB. He's very versatile and a physical freak. If Cush should happen to return to his old self McKinney can take over Reeds spot until Cush is ready to be shown the door. We need a guy who can rush the passer and cover and he may be 'that guy'.

Bryce Petty seems to be a waste of a pick. I don't believe any quarterback in this draft is a better pro prospect than Savage (except for Winston).

5. awc713

awc713 Member

You don't even like Mariota over Savage...?

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

According to WalterFootball, there's no concensus on him. Some people have him going in the 2nd, some have him going in the 6th or 7th and others have him going somewhere in between. Supposedly, he has 2nd round talent but also has character issues and concerns over his commitment/work ethic, and that's causing teams to put a lower grade on him than if they were just judging on talent alone.

#66 Cannonball, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  7. Remii

Remii Member

No... If you compare Savage's college tape to Mariota's college tape... Savage appears more adapt to succeed at the pro level, at least in O'Brien's system anyway. Savage has the tools... It's just up to O'Brien to make him successful. And Savage was impressive with the little time he got on the field last season. Last year's quarterback pool was a good one IMO. Johnny Football is the only one who looks like he doesn't belong out of all the quarterbacks drafted last year.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...r-Market/c18b89a6-a34f-4861-9e9d-d09b9340a50f

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

To me it represents an improvement that no one can tell who we will pick. In previous years it was way too easy to sniff out what the Texans were itching to do. Example: In 2014, everyone was like, "they NEED QB, let's jump ahead of them to select Bridgewater and Garropolo". In 2013 it was, "they are gonna pick an ILB/S in the second round so we can just trade right in front of them to take Arthur Brown." Doesn't matter if those picks panned out or not, I'm just happy that there's no consensus pick or need on the Texans roster right now. Might be good or bad in that we just have a ton of holes, but none absolutely glaring right now. We'll see.

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

There is a glaring hole at QB, just if one of the two drops near Texans range, you would have the same situation of teams trying to move up if they want that specific QB. But, besides QB, I agree.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the case of Arthur Brown it worked to our advantage, the Ravens picked that bust instead of us.

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

You don't take a player to spite another team unless it fits your team as well.
    That's a sure fire way to have your own draft disaster.

14. askball

askball Member

Haha there's no way he lasts until day 3. I'll be shocked if Dawson isn't picked by early second round. Heck, Mayock has him rated as his #1 linebacker!

15. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Why do you people do this? You get different meanings out of the words that are there. I NEVER, I reiterate, NEVER said you were wrong. In fact, maybe i'm not right about what I said about Petty, but you know what, it's called MY OPINION. Bryce Petty has higher upside than Savage in my OPINION, OPINION, OPINION, and one more time for emphasis, OPINION. Jesus Christ.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Well, at least you stated it was your opinion five times in this post, because you didn't use the word once in the post I quoted you on.

Once again, though. Care to explain why that's your opinion.... You know.. So we can discuss it. I thought thats why we were here and all...

17. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I think we need to draft WR in the first round, regardless of what happens with Andre. I feel like the best thing to do is to give Mallet a whole season to find out if he is a quality NFL starting QB, and it would help if he had more weapons.
    There are plenty of good WRs projected in the first round, I actually really like Jaelen Strong from ASU. He's not the fastest guy out there, put he just seems to me like a true pro with amazing hands and strength, almost like...Andre....
    Anyway, the only other position I could see in the first round is CB if we lose Kareem or if they decide to get another OL.

18. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Imo stands for In My Opinion...

19. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

WR is a need, but I don't feel it's a draft me in the first round type of need. Also, you also have to wonder what receivers would be available at our pick. If Jaelen is available at our pick, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, but if there is a high profile defender or lineman available, I feel we should swing that direction.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tale of tapes: Jameis Winston measures in at 6-3 3/4, 231 pounds; Marcus Mariota 6-3 3/4, 222 pounds.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/568423188721471488">February 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>