1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Once Springer wins MVP this season, will someone change the picture on the header from Altuve to Springer? :cool:

2. awc713

awc713 Member

does anyone know which ST games will be televised?

to quote Bart Scott, "CANT WAIT."

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I won these from Mark Appel on twitter (came in the mail today). The bad news is, the last 5 Astros autographs I got are all gone (JD Martinez, Steve Pearce, Brad Mills, Carlos Corporan, & Mickey Storey).

5. Buck Turgidson

Hopefully one of these guys is not like the others.

Jeebus, not like Appel needs any more bad fan karma or anything. ;)

6. Buck Turgidson

Also, curious: what kind of spikes? Screw on/replaceable plastic? I know they can't be metal, right? They were metal back in the day and you could Ty Cobb the hell out of the 2Bman if you were a teenage *******. Then they were banned. I haven't seen a proper pair of baseball cleats in a while so I dunno what they use now.

And apropos to nothing and nobody, i have clearance to use the HS batting cage next week, looking forward to a range between embarrassing myself and dropping bombs. Haven't swung a bat in 2 years.

7. HstnSprtsFan101

Metal cleats are still around as far as I know

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Hmmmm, Cole Hamels

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Spring Training baseball is on MLB Network today!!!! Not Astros, but still baseball...

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Woohoo!

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So not only are there not going to be a lot of televised Astros games, but now 790 isn't going to be broadcasting them live during the afternoon during the week (they're going to play a delayed broadcast in the evening, and Matt Thomas keeps his show).

Really sucks... but reflects the state of "interest" (or lack thereof) in the team right now in this city as a result of the purposefully sucking.

12. Storm the Field

Made a combined TV schedule between Root Sports and MLB Network. Looks like we'll have 4 live games on Root and 4 tape delayed games on MLB Network.

3/17: Astros @. Nats, 5:00 a.m. (tape delay) on MLB.
    3/17: Astros vs. Pirates, Noon on Root.
    3/20: Astros @ Mets, 5:00 a.m. (tape delay) on MLB.
    3/20: Astros vs. Nats, Noon on Root.
    3/22: Astros vs. Pirates, Noon on Root.
    3/23: Astros vs. Braves, Noon on Root.
    3/25: Astros @ Mets, 8:00 a.m. (tape delay) on MLB.
    3/26: Astros vs. Phillies, 5:00 a.m. (tape delay) on MLB.

There are an additional 4-5 games on MLB Network that look like they'll be blacked out in the Astros market.

Stupid MLB blackout rules. They're airing 200+ ST games and just about every single one is blacked out in the local market for at least one of the teams participating.

1 person likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There should be a "local broadcast apathy" exception in this market.

Still can't believe the AM radio coverage won't be live.... its freakin AM radio!

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you complained to 790?

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Now that just sucks. I had already tested out the last am radio I had in the house to make sure I'd be able to listen to games while I'm working. This blows.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, have you? They said that at least they'd be live on the weekends (As if that was a "consolation", considering there's no local programming to pre-empt).

Also, do you think Astros fans in this city would be able to outnumber the amount of people who actually complained the last two years that they did NOT want baseball on in the mid-day?

With NFL free agency and then the draft coming up, those topics are going to dominate the airwaves regardless (and then you also have a little competition from the Rockets, but not all that much considering what they should be getting), so the station is merely going with what the majority of the public would want.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nope. I'll just follow the spring training games via MLB.com or ESPN up here in the Twin Cities and I have already purchased my MLB package so I can watch their games during the regular season. In addition I already have my Astros-Twins tickets for their Minnesota games in August.

Too many times people don't complain about programming decisions. It's good that you did.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I, for one, am outraged that 790 is going with what the majority of the public wants.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So if the majority of the public doesn't want the Rockets or Astros games live, networks should always show something else?

I don't feel for one second that the "majority" of Houston is all that invested in these teams, especially not exhibition games... but when a team signs a broadcast contract, in this day and age, I would presume they'd still try to get the games on live.

I'm more surprised the Astros are allowing it... might as well not even waste the announcers time as I seriously doubt they'll have much of an audience at all (vs. lunch drive-time where even in passing, they'll get some listeners).

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I totally agree. I'm furious.