1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Buck Turgidson

My bad, he was 24 the first year he got playing time.

C4 was just an old nickname, he was indeed #3 iirc.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> officially reassign SS Carlos Correa, LHP Darin Downs, C Tyler Heineman, RHP James Hoyt &amp; IF Gregorio Petit to minor league camp.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/582162878997786624">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Downs, Heineman, Hoyt &amp; Petit will remain with the club thru the exhibition season.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/582162933322416128">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Additionally, the club optioned RHP Jake Buchanan, IF Matt Dominguez and C Max Stassi to minor league camp.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/582162968843935744">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>By my count, Astros have 21 of 25 roster spots nailed down. Need final starting pitcher, one reliever &amp; two backup position players.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/582165115832823808">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My picks for the final four roster spots: Grossman, Villar, Thatcher and Roberto Hernandez.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/582167672978309120">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sam Deduno had been told he make the team as a long reliever. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/582153644193292288">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With Deduno making the club, there is one bullpen spot remaining. Chapman, Thatcher and Will Harris competing. Fields injured, however.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/582157294609272832">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

#342 J.R., Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Dominguez sent to the minors? That's surprising. Hopefully that means Valbuena has shown something.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In his 40+ plate appearances (granted, a small sample size), Valbuena's line is .395/.442/.684/1.126. Valbuena was 7th in OPS among ML third basemen last year, Dominguez was 23rd (last among qualifiers).

This spring Dominguez's line is .250/.282/.250/.532.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Not that surprising to me. Valbuena was an average-above average starting 3B last season and Matty D was the worst everyday player in the majors last year. Valbuena doesn't have anything to prove.

Matty D was always going up against MarGo and Villar for a back-up infield position, and given his extreme lack of positional flexibility, it's not surprising the FO is sending him to Fresno to get full time work at 3B and reps at 1B.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By many metrics, Dominguez was one of the worst everyday players in baseball last year... and the Astros had him batting in the #5 spot for a number of games.

Valbuena was significantly better than him last year... and doesn't have to be all that great now to win the spot (even though he still won it outright).

7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only surprise is Hoyt, IMO. I thought he pitched well.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He pitched extremely well this spring. I saw the phrase eye-opening used in several articles.

He had a huge up-hill battle to win a spot in the bullpen. Five of the seven bullpen spots are accounted for (Qualls, Neshek, Gregorson, Fields, Sipp). Other guys have compelling reasons to make the team ahead of him: already 40-man rostered (Deduno, Wojo, Chapman, Harris, Buchanan) or expensive NRI contract (Hernandez, Thatcher). Not to mention literally everyone else has prior ML experience and Hoyt had mediocre numbers in AAA last year.

It sounds like Luhnow thinks highly of the guy; this just isn't his time.

9. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll file this under "good problem to have".

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Looks like Singleton might start the year in Fresno. After a good start, he's had a horrible spring. If so this will clear up the Carter/Gattis roadblock.

Marisnick should start in CF, I doubt it was promised to Rasmus. With Dominguez gone, Villar seems to have made the club, I can't imagine they start the season with only 1 backup infielder.

Comes down to Presley vs Grossman. Grossman deserves it, but Presley has the guaranteed contract.

Woj v Hernandez has been discussed. I think Woj should get the job, but Hernandez will get it.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd like to see them move Feldman.....

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Package him, Grossman, Villar and Singleton and see what you can get... probably not much as you'd be selling low on all of them.

13. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure you'd be selling low on Feldman. He had one of his better years last year, and I believe his contract was front-loaded, presumably to make him more attractive in a trade in the latter part of his contract.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was mainly referring to the prospects with "potential". Feldman is what he is and most teams will realize that and value him accordingly.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

What team would really want all those guys in a deal?

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Blue Jays..... Granted I don't see Astros trading them for what Jays would want to send back.

#356 Joe Joe, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  17. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Oberholtzer gives up 3 er in first inning... Ouch.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Simply, he wasn't on the 40-man roster, which means the team was going to cut someone if he stayed, and the guys on the roster didn't do anything to lose that spot (except White), especially since there is a good chance Hernandez will displace somebody.

19. Buck Turgidson

The team that Nick thinks has 3 or 4 open spots on their 40-man, and wants to trade their spare parts for our spare parts and then tries to get the engine redlined before the race even starts.

#cautionflag

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Made those suggestions mostly in jest... there is no team that can, or will, take on all of those players.

But, if the Astros really do have needs... and there's a semblance of value left for Singleton/Villar/Grossman... this may be the year they need to act on that.