1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

oh man...i might jump the gun then, prob wait for a few reviews to come out if its coming out this week...i was thinking of getting nexus 6...but coming from a nexus 4...this phone looks to be pretty decent and half the price.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No removable battery if that's a dealbreaker for any.

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'll probably get that zenfone for my mother. She's been wanting a larger screen and plus she has two lines so the dual Sim feature should be awesome for her. Any solid dates on us release?

4. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i was wondering the same.

eddie where did you see the tuesday release date?

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I can't remember for sure but I think I did read that's China. I'll keep looking.

6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

5.1 is the latest and it's MUCH better than 5.0.2. It gave new life to my laggy-ass LG G Pad 8.3 even running CM12. Can't wait to get it on my Oneplus One and hopefully CM12.1 on my sister's LG G2.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Ugh I just checked and it looks like Asus went with Band 17 instead of Band 12. The US is ditching Band 17 as AT&T is finally going to start broadcasting its towers at Band 12. Band 12 is TMobile's new low band frequency which more or less resolves many of the building penetration issues that everyone has always complained about. My current phone has Band 12 and I honestly can't live without it anymore. Way too important since it more or less guarantees cell reception anywhere in my office building. You do get Bands 2 and 4 with this phone which is still 95% of TMobile's LTE but it sucks to lose the Band 12 LTE.

But if you're on AT&T then all of your LTE bands are covered so no issues there.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

That sucks. I have yet to see band 12 here in Houston on my N6 but I'm usually not deep inside any buildings. This would definitely be a great feature to have. I wonder if it will get wifi calling that is supposedly going to be baked into a future version of android.

9. geeimsobored

When I visited my parents a few months ago, I was getting Band 12 in quite a few places. You should now have VoLTE with 5.1 which was a problem before since even if you connected to B12 you couldn't make a phone call in some instances because there was no HSPA or Edge to fall back on.

I believe TMobile and Google already said that the next update to Lollipop on the Nexus 6 will come with wifi calling.

10. Asian Sensation

I know I'm way late to this thread and upgrading in general but I was hoping to get some advice.

I have a 4S and I don't care too much about tech/phones obviously but I think it's finally time to upgrade. Is it worth shelling out the 300 or 400 bucks to get the 6 Plus or should I wait? I ask if I should wait because I'm wondering if there will be a price drop or something else worth getting that's coming out? I have Verizon right now $300 for 16 gig or $400 for 64 gig sounds like a lot for an upgrade with a new 2 year contract.

Thanks for the help yall.

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

My 2012 nexus 7 is suddenly usable again. Need a factory reset of course

12. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

For me, my next upgrade will wait for the usb-c phones. If I need to get a phone immediately, I'd get a Motorola moto G or E type of phones. Maybe even a nexus 4 or 5 if available. One plus one definitely as well.

13. jdm485

jdm485 Member

Best Buy is having a decent sale on the IPhone 6 right now: [1] $50 off retail price regardless of the plan type (2-yr contract, lease, or installment plan) [2] free Belkin charger set (home and vehicle), and [3] $50 Best Buy gift card if you select a provider installment plan, e.g., Sprint Easy Pay or Verizon Edge. Below is a link to an article that explains the offer in more detail. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/41332/20150321/smartphone-deal-apple-iphone-6-6-plus-sale-offers-160-in-discounts-and-freebies-on-verizon-att-and-sprint.htm

I was going take advantage of the IPhone 6 deal today, but I decided to wait until the HTC M9 comes out in a couple weeks.

14. Faust

Faust Member

stopped at the sony store in the galleria today and fell in love with the z3 compact. but i think ill wait for the z4 compact. currently using a nexus S that's getting long in the tooth. i just want a phone with a great camera and long battery life and a small screen.

15. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

seems like theres been no announcement about the zenfone 2.

its being released in certain part of the world so hopefully that means a US release is imminent.

i've read march...to april...to may for a US release. who knows.

16. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I just bought a Z3 off eBay. Anyone have experience with this phone?

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yep. Can't find anything...its crazy.

18. geeimsobored

Good phone. Sony always has great cameras on its phones and the build quality is very good. I'm not a huge fan of the UI but I'm probably more picky than the average user. The battery life is pretty good too.

The only thing I'll say is that the Z3 wasn't a big enough upgrade over the Z2. If I were buying a phone I'd actually buy a Z2 and save the money. A lot of the specs just didn't change enough from the Z2 to the Z3. If you're TMobile, stick with the Z3 as it has Band 12 support.

#158 geeimsobored, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  19. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I am on T-Mobile. I got it for $400 on eBay with a Sony smart band included. As for UI, I'm used to stock Android, but I've had enough of my nexus 5 being dead by mid-afternoon. The bigger battery and better camera will be a nice change that I'm really looking forward to. In terms of performance, I don't think it will be a huge upgrade over the nexus 5.

Being water proof is also a neat feature, as I had to do an RMA with google last year because my nexus died of water damage.

The phone also feels very premium. I messed around with it at the T-Mobile store last night and I can argue the build quality is on the same level as the iPhone.

20. geeimsobored

Ya the build quality is great. Samsung is switching to the same full glass finish with metal edges. And the battery definitely is really quite good.

If you're on T-Mobile, the Z3 is a no brainer for the extra LTE support. But I think Sony needs to stop releasing two phones a year. They just dont upgrade fast enough and it makes the first phone that year a bargain compared to the second. The Z2 has the same build quality with a slightly worse processor a slightly worse camera. That to me is ridiculous which is why I'd go with a Z2 over a Z3 on any carrier except T-Mobile.