1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

There are cases on amazon already but from the looks of them, while they may protect if it drops on the back edge. A front side impact looks to be very destructive. An otherbox solution would probably be best to protect the screen where it covers the front side of the display where the upper and lower bezels are. That way if it does take a front side tumble it would hopefully hit the top and bottom parts first without the display touching the ground. If it hits edge first of course there is no way to protect it.

http://www.amazon.com/SpigenĀ®-Resil...25310592&sr=8-5&keywords=galaxy+s6+edge+cases

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

At this point, it makes sense to just keep it and sell right before/after the Note 5 comes out. There isn't a phone , imo, that can really compete with a Note iteration.

To buy time, just root and install a custom Rom . You will have that new phone feel.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I still think the Edge screen is a massive gimmick. I played with the Edge and it was really underwhelming. Surprised they rolled out the S6 edge, guess the Edge was more successful than I thought.

4. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

After reading that the edge screen on the s6 edge is only to facilitate swiping from the edge of the screen, it does sound a little gimmicky, but it still looks sweet. As brought up earlier, it sounds like a magnet for screen smashing, even with a case.

5. BiGGieStuFF

this video goes over a few of the features of the edge. The thing I like about the EDGE is that it's uniform on both sides so it doesn't look awkward like the NOte Edge. By doing this it looks like a normal phone but just unique enough to give it it's own individual and unique look.

The EDGE display would a lot better if more devs were to create apps for it. As of right now yeah it's a gimmick but not without some uses but on the S6 it seems subtle enough where it doesn't get in the way of using the phone.

I think the most exciting part for me is the samsung pay method where it creates a signal that allows you to pay with your phone on old credit card terminals. If that can work consistently well, it could really take off, but since it's samsung I have my doubts :p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrxrzzTUPD8

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

fair enough and 'nuff said. :) i keep forgetting that the vast majority of folks don't use carrier jump programs or buy off-contact for it to matter.

it is pretty dope, but i'm starting to change my mind and going for the regular g6.

upon purchasing a phone, the first thing i do is set up nova launcher (for the past several years now i've used it). for usability and uniformity it beats any oem launcher. any edge functionality would be lost with its installation and i hate to be one of those, but i will not be using a touchwiz launcher. it's clumsy and less customizable imo.

#106 OmegaSupreme, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. BiGGieStuFF

In some videos the edge functionality still exists with nova. It's hidden until you swipe in from the side but it leaves a gap there. There have been a lot of requests for the developers of nova to support the edge display. I wonder if they will be able to make it unhidden.

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I'm also a Nova Launcher user and have owned all the Notes aside from the 4. I have yet to see anything to disable the features Samsung puts in it's phone that depends on the launche. Well, other than what is already present in the launcher itself like Magaznine UI.

Swipe from right to left brings up Multi-window panel on Nova for one. Air Command still works. Palm-swipe still captures screenshot, etc, etc.

I don't think Samsung has many features that are TW Launcher specific that will cause you to lose functionality that the phone was made for once you load another launcher. I believe the features are part of the TouchWiz ROM itself so installing an AOSP/CM ROM would definitely remove those features, not just swapping launchers.

9. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

And just to add, I'm pretty sure Samsung is aware users can use different launchers since Android is pretty much customization city for mobile users. Baking device-specific features into the launcher itself would be dumb on Samsung's part so it's safe to assume it's baked into the ROM itself.

10. OmegaSupreme

looks like i'll make a run to an att store tomorrow to verify on a note edge.

any gap on the edge of the screen that calls itself a s6 edge = loss in functionality. what's the use in having a curved display if there's a gap where the curve is?

i know it's petty to base a purchase on an app from the playstore, but when it's brought to the forefront like a launcher then it matters for me personally. if functionality is baked in, great. will report back in a couple of days when i have the time to check it out.

edit: and just to clarify, i mean loss in functionality in what i personally would use the phone for. not a loss for anything samsung has done software wise.

edit 2: a simple search with "note edge nova launcher" shows the black bar that biggie was referring to. can't imagine that on both sides of the screen on the s6 edge. again it's a nova issue, but will pass until it's resolved.

#110 OmegaSupreme, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. BiGGieStuFF

You've got some time to decide. Maybe email nova to see if they plan on adding support.

12. OmegaSupreme

done.

he/she hasn't responded to anyone in the forums. also, from what i'm reading there is no launcher out there that will remedy this although sammy released the edge sdk some time ago.

so in other words, enjoy touchwiz (launcher side of things) if you get the edge. regular s6 is in the clear.

13. BiGGieStuFF

That sucks to hear. Samsung has some good ideas but man their execution is poor. I'm a huge Nova user as well. 1st thing that goes onto any of my phones. I have faith in them updating it. Maybe they weren't on the ball because there weren't a lot of NOTE Edges out there but with the s6 Edge coming out, there could possibly be a lot of people to tend to now.

What are you rocking right now? I'm still on the n6 and hopefully those rumors of 5.1 coming out on March 12th are true. I need an update fix NOW.

14. OmegaSupreme

hopefully teslacoil will fix it (along with the devs of other launchers) because as it stands right now, even google's own "google now launcher" will not utilize the edge(s) properly.

sent the n6 back. couldn't get used to the size. i will say that it was awkward for about a month going back to a smaller screen. using pure edition moto x w/cyanogen.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Using CM12 or 11? If 12, how is it compared to 11?

Im still on 11 on my Oneplus One. Thinking about rooting and going to 12, but not sure if I want the hassle. The last Oneplus upgrade messed with my battery life. I used to get 7 hours of screen time, which was St least two days most of the time. Now, I'm getting like 4.

16. OmegaSupreme

running 12. yeah, i heard that one plus one batt life was insanely awesome, but didn't know about the updates. now you're down to the levels of is normal folk. :grin: i get about five sot, which is usually the case with nexus (or in my case nexus-like) devices.

i know nothing of how 12 will run on your device though. sorry, bro. visually, material design is stunning and cm has done a good job with incorporating the usual stuff so far (call block, privacy manager, theme engine, etc), but i don't know about your sot on your device. don't think you'd have micro-stutters or lag being that you have 3 his of ram (unless you turn on encryption).

still hard to think of cm being an oem now and them suffering the same fate as other oems... delaying the lollipop rollout. anyhow, can't imagine abd being an issue for you or maybe there's a toolkit available for the 1+ so you can revert back w/ease. does chainfire have an autoroot for it?

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The root is easy enough, I just don't think I'm ready to dive back into the root world again, as stupid as that sounds.

The rollout is supposed to be sometime this month, most likely towards the end. Initially, it was going to be beginning of February, though. I think I'm patient enough to wait, also. Mainly I just want my battery life back. I factory reset my phone, as some say that's a fix. I'm on my first cycle through since and I think maybe it's improving slightly. Second cycle is where it's apparently noticeable. I have 2hrs 10 minutes screen on time, with 14 hours off the charger right now, with 59% battery. I'm used to having 75% plus battery with those stats. Not a big deal, but I got used to it. :cool:

18. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I'm running Temasek Unofficial CM12 on my Oneplus One for a month now. Got this theme installed and man, it sure is good looking:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Damn, that looks nice.

20. OmegaSupreme

theme on playstore, showcase, or xda?