1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It doesn't look like it supports most us lte bands:

http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-16911.php

If it supported all LTE bands that would be amazing.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Ziggy,

Buy a phone outright and then go to Cricket. Same phone towers and signal, but depending on how much data you want, it's cheaper than ATT. I pay $35 a month for 2.5 GBs since I'm mostly on WiFi. Only capped out once, and it was from streaming music for like ten hours in my car.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

4. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

T-Mobile offers free streaming from spotify, pandora, etc. Also I believe free Netflix streaming too?

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

The free video streaming is kind of a double edge sword. It's unlimited in the fact that it won't count against your data cap BUT you can only watch in 480p video quality. If you're fine with that, then you're good. If you want to watch netflix in better quality you need to turn off the BINGE-ON feature. If off, it will count against your data cap.

The biggest issue is that when binge-on feature is enabled ALL your streaming video will be capped at 480p. That includes services like youtube that aren't even signed on as a partner to Binge-on

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I forget about them, since they have terrible coverage where I live.

Truth be told - there's a lot of good prepay services out there.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I got a message from UPS that my s7 will be delivered today! WOW! A week and a half before scheduled release . Checked my order on the TMO site as well, and order shows as shipped to be delivered today!

Obviously Samsung knows the money is in the upgrade and not the update. Don't care though. My bill will go down, I'll get Marshmallow, a year of free Netflix, and the VR gear, water resistant and expandable memory...all win for me.

#988 Falcons Talon, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I pre-ordered the onyx S7 Edge at Best Buy.

Got a 64 GB micro SD card along with the Gear VR.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Used to have the unlimited data plan with AT&T. Some customers were grandfathered. I complained and was offered the unlimited data plan again - $35/month. But it doesn't include text or voice - those are to be purchased separately.

Good deal?

I can get by on 15GB. Not sure what unlimited texts cost a la carte and it's a hassle to look.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've been on that grandfathered plan for a few years now. They recently jacked up the price of it for us by $5/month to $35/month. I don't really use a ton of it - about 3.5-6.5 gigs a month and most of that is IHeart Radio at work. My plan I'm on is ancient. I just realized I'm paying $90 + $12 in random fees/taxes for 450 minutes talk, 1500 texts, and unlimited data for 1 phone. It seems like with the Verizon XL plan, I'd be paying something like $100 + $? in random fees/taxes for 14GB data + unlimited talk & text for 1 phone? I need to get to a Verizon store and ask, I guess.

#991 Dr of Dunk, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm also on an old plan. I'm still rocking my sprint family plan.

Each line is ~$55 a month (all fees included). It's great since I have some family members on my plan and we all pay for each line.

1500 min mobile to land line (unlimited mobile to mobile)
    Unlimited Data and Text.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I've decided to wait until I see what the iPhone 7 comes out before buying the S7. Even though I like the Gear VR it's only $100. For some reason I thought it was higher than that. Plus if I wait for the iPhone 7 I am sure that around that time Samsung will be running intense promotions to sway people to buy the Galaxy instead.

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I'm rockin' about a 14 year old plan from T-Mobile with a few adjustments over the years.

Family plan with 4 lines, unlimited night and weekends per line, unlimited texting per line, 5GB data on each line with rollover unused data, and 2000 minutes shared between the 4 lines.

Paying about $80 a month and that's including tax.

15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

If the bulk of your data usage is on IHeartRadio, maybe look at the T-mobile plan if it has decent signal in your area. You might be able to get away with a 2gb/unlimited talk and text for $50 a month. Your IHearRadio data usage won't count against your 2gb with their music freedom program.

16. BiGGieStuFF

Even better. T-mobile announced new pre-paid plans

40 for unlimited talk/text and 3gb data along with music freedom

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...89313&cmpid=WTR_AF_189313&irpid=10078&irgwc=1

17. Falcons Talon

In the 3 waking hours I've had to play with the s7, at this point, it feels exactly like my s6 edge. It's a great jump from an s5, but the main selling point for me was the water resistance that the s6 didn't offer.

I forgot how much of a PITA it is to transfer everything over to a new phone

#997 Falcons Talon, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  18. BiGGieStuFF

Transfer? What are you transferring?

Contacts, photos, Calendars should all be synced with your google account. Apps should be tap and go from the beginning of the setup. I guess items that you have stored locally like Mp3s is probably a PITA.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The xiaomi Mi 5 looks awesome for the price. Essentially the specs of an S7 for 350 bucks.

20. Falcons Talon

Resetting Samsung pay, reassigning ringtones, No more Music app with my playlists....just annoying, but at least the 7 came with an adapter to transfer phone to phone via usb..