1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, no reason to rush and with all the reports of terrible battery life i'd rather just stay with the G3 for a few more months.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'll be rolling with the S7 Edge next month.

It'll be too good to pass up. The LG G5 will be top notch too, but Ive had the G2 and G3, so I'm ready to go back to Samsung bc their screens are the best.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm considering the jump to the S7 from my s6 edge. Not sure though and even less sure on edge vs regular flat screen

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How do you like the Edge? Wondering the same - flat vs curved. Curved still seems gimmicky to me. Doesn't look all that cool either. But maybe it'd grow on me?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Got it on Friday. It's pretty good. There is more than a little bit of bloatware that can't be removed. I just disable it and I guess that's the best I can do.

The camera is pretty poor and the battery life leaves something to be desired, but other than that it's fine. Especially for $100.

6. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

The phone is great performance wise. It handles anything I run and rarely lags. The screen is cool, but it prevents getting a good waterproof case which I really need.

7. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

What kind of battery life are you getting with it? I've been getting pretty great battery life. I can get about 2.5 hours of screen on time in a day with about 50% left with light usage (just listening to podcasts, reading text, web browsing, and some youtube). If your battery life is much worse than that, I would think about getting a replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these phone have bad batteries.

#927 jchu14, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The curve is gimmicky imo, my friend had it but returned it and get a normal s6. I mean it's pretty cool in the beginning, but the novelty wore off in like a day because it adds no real functions.

plus visually it's kind of awkward, at least for me.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's not doing terribly, but I got excellent battery life out of the Moto G. This is less than excellent.

And here's a dumb question...

When I send pictures I've taken with the camera via text, it compresses the hell out of them making them super pixelated. How do I fix this? Is there a way to send full resolution pics via text? I've never noticed the pics to look so bad before.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Via text? No. MMS Carrier limitations
    Other options send via: whatsapp, telegram, email, hangouts, etc
    Or upload to Dropbox/Google Drive send link from there.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's no way to send them a thing that they have to click on and download to look at the picture? Isn't that how iPhones send mms? When I receive pictures in a text message from an iPhone they don't look super pixelated (once I click it and download it).

12. ubigred

Yes, you can use Google Drive to send them a link. Google Drive is available in the Google PlayStore.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The reason Im going with the Edge over the flat screen on the S7 is because the rumor is that the Edge will get a 3600 mAh battery compared to 3000 mAh on the flat screen.

Also, the screen is larger on the Edge and that's what I want. (Yes, the battery drain will be greater, but the 3600 mAh battery should make up for that, and then some).

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When I get a text pic from an iPhone it comes through as a slideshow. I have to click on it and it opens and downloads the photo in high(ish) resolution. That's what I'm trying to do. Yet, even if I try to send a slideshow, it compresses the hell out of it and makes it very pixelated.

I've never had this problem before with any phone. Just this one.

15. ubigred

hmmmm
    Did you check the settings in the text message app on your phone?

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There are carrier limitations on MMS but many times messaging apps add a layer onto that. Particularly phones from Asia where data compression is more valued because of stricter data limits.

I'd suggest trying an alternative text messaging app (like Textra or Hangouts) and see if it compression is as bad.

1 person likes this.
  17. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Yep like the other folks said, check your messaging app's settings. The default setting on the messaging app on the Vivo XL is 300kb. You can change it by going to into the app > More > size limit . Though when I set it to 1M, it wasn't able to send (on t-mobile), it gave me size limit error. I tried it in Textra and it was able to send a 1mb mms perfectly fine. So i would just use a different texting app.

1 person likes this.
  18. ubigred

+1 for Chomp Sms or Textra. Same company

1 person likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks! This worked. Set it to 1M and all is well now.

Thanks and rep to all 3 for your help. Sorry for being n00b.

20. ubigred

LG G5 or Samsung Galaxy 7?

I'm holding out for the Note 6.