1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not a huge phone junkie, but I keep up with tech. Just don't spend a ton of money on it. Typically, I buy every two years and mess around with my friends' flagship phones. I've messed around (here and there) with most on the market, and it compares favorably. When you figure in price, I think it's great. My last phone was the HTC Evo 4g LTE. No comparison here. Part of that, though, is because I was on Sprint. Going from Sprint to AT&T was like stepping out of the dark ages.

So, maybe I'm not the best judge, but from my limited experience, it's an awesome value.

As far as the poster above me saying about the updates - Yeah, there was a falling out, but I think the lack of updates stems mostly from the push for Lollipop. There will be one more update (submitted to Google already for approval) before Lollipop. The update should be out any time, with the Lollipop update right on it's heels.

2. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I sure am
    KingCheetah's link there lists it as $450+ current value, and having bought it at $350 when it had just arrived was great value. It's got strong enough hardware for my needs.

I just installed a launcher off the Play Store to make it look like Lollipop, so I can't help out. Anyone else?

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I've been playing Marvel Contest of Champions a lot lately. I used to play Puzzle Quest a lot too.

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

is the one plus one good? anyone using that?

looking to maybe upgrade from my nexus 4...i want to stay off contract like i am with nexus 4...and $300 is better than say what the iphone and nexus 6 are going to cost.

the only other options seem to be moto x which is i think $400 and maybe the moto g...which is $200 but i think those specs are similar to the nexus 4...so not really an upgrade.

EDIT: whoops...just went through thread...see others have posted they dig it...but whats with this post?

cyangon stop updating? no bueno

#64 FlyerFanatic, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

My biggest worry about the one plus one has been the support. Anything goes wrong with it and you have to pay a good chunk of money to send it back for warranty. At least that's how it was when I was initially interested in it. Maybe it's changed. I've had issues with my phones in the past that required warranty so I didn't want to take a chance on the one plus one for that reason.

6. Two Sandwiches

Cyanogen did not stop updating. It's just taking a while to get it to Lollipop. There will be a quick update and then the Lollipop update closely behind it.

I worry that there will be even more of a fallout between the two, but Cyanogen has publicly promised at least two years support, and we are not even a year into it. As a newish company, I think Cyanogen would be shooting themselves in the foot breaking that promise to a reported close to a million Oneplus One owners. Although their recent Microsoft funding doesn't hurt...

I am excited to see what Oneplus' Oxygen ROM looks like on the 12th. It could potentially lessen my fears of this. Also, there's already a huge developer community for the phone, and that helps lessen my fears, although trying to avoid rooting...

And the post above mine, that is a legit worry. I've had no issues, though, thankfully.

7. BiGGieStuFF

I still have one of those 140 off 499 codes for Motorola if someone is interested in getting a Moto x 2014.

expires Saturday

8. BiGGieStuFF

http://slickdeals.net/f/7651890-t-mobile-lg-g3-369-free-shipping

For this price it may be a better value than the OnePlus One

comparison

5.5" higher res screen in a more compact body
    ...but LG screen isn't the best in it's class and causes heating issues

microSD and removable battery
    faster focus on camera with OIS

ONEPLUS ONE has longer battery life due to 1080p screen. It has a cleaner OS vs LG's overlay.

There is more but I thought I'd list this since I saw it on slickdeals.

9. Two Sandwiches

Can that be taken to AT&T? I see its labelled T-Mobile...

Good deal.

10. BiGGieStuFF

I'm pretty sure yes as long as you can get the phone unlocked.

11. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Any current android phone recommendations? I dropped my 2013 Moto X and the screen is pretty much dead. Pretty bummed because I wanted to wait until the new phones for 2015 are released. I suppose priority features are 1) Android 2) Camera 3) Battery Life in no particular order. I am intrigued by the phablets (do ppl still call them that?) but not sure I can make the transition.

12. BiGGieStuFF

I went from moto x 2013 to nexus 6. It was difficult at first. You never get used to it honestly, but I came to terms with it because the benefit of having that nice huge screen is too hard to pass up.

I don't know if you use the voice features on the moto x that much but that's the reason why I went with the nexus 6 to keep that intact, otherwise I might have gone with the updated moto x.

That voice feature is huge for me even though I probably don't use it as much as I think I do.

13. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

the more i think about it the more i might just take the plunge and go for the nexus 6..

quick question though..

i am using the t-mobile $30 a month unlimited web/text and 100 minutes plan...but i think the sim card has changed from the nexus 4...instead of a micro sim its now a nano sim?

how do i go about acquiring one of those for the nexus 6? do i just go on tmobile site like i did few years back select the same plan and choose a nano sim card?

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you buy the Nexus 6 from Tmobile, it will come with a TMobile nano sim in the box. You can go online/call/go to a store to switch which SIM is associated with your phone number.

If you aren't buying a Nexus 6 from TMobile, you'll have to go to a store or order a nano SIM.

15. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yeah...

but when i order the nano sim from t-mobile website...do i choose a plan then even if i want to keep my same plan or do i do all this when i go to activate the nano sim after i receive it?

16. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

*bump*

anyone?

also....$15 bucks for a nano sim on the t-mobile website? think i got my mirco sim for a buck few years back....

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Doesn't T-Mobile give you a free SIM if you're upgrading to a new phone? For AT&T, usually if you go in-store, they'll give you a free SIM and activate it for you.

18. BiGGieStuFF

You can either get your sim cut to a nano size. A cutter cost 7-8 bucks, some places will charge you 5 bucks to cut it. Some people just get the stencil online and cut it themselves and then sand the edges down. I haven't seen any t-mobile deals where they used to sell the nano-sim for a dollar. T-mobile will sell you one for 10 bucks. I've been able to get it for free since I'm a customer but other times they have charged me.

how are you buying your nexus 6? through t-mobile? motorola? google?

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

one of the most underrated phones, sony xperia z3

20. BiGGieStuFF

Sony does a horrible job of marketing this phone. I know this is a great phone but when people asks me what phones I recommend, even I forget to mention this phone. I thought they were going to get it right this time around by making it available on all carriers but it just kind of got swept under the rug.