1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

Check out the Asus Zenphone 2, 5.5" 1080p display
    16GB with 2GB RAM for $199
    64GB with 4GB RAM for $299

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ZenFone-Cellphone-Silver-Unlocked/dp/B00VWKKF52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440989897&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+zenfone2&pebp=1440989905773&perid=0HQ350MW04QAFXH0TZMR

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OK, I think my new phone arrived at my house this morning. It's a Moto G. I haven't had an Android in a long time, so what are the must-have Android apps? Do I need to download some anti-virus stuff? I seem to remember an AT&T store rep insisting I do that the last time I bought an Android (2008, I think).

And what should I do with my phone? I know Android is fairly customizeable... so is there anything I could/should do to get more out of the phone?

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

are you coming from an iphone? If so you'll probably end up installing most of the same stuff you had on your iphone onto your moto G.

The few things you'll probably want to set up are already on your phone like the chop chop for flashlight, wrist twist for the camera. Moto display for your notifications and moto assist to detect when you're driving so that it will read your text aloud and allow you to respond to it via voice.

set up google photos if you want to back up all your photos to google's unlimited storage for pictures up to 16MP. They are automatically set to private unless you want to share them.

I only play a few games on my phone so beyond just using it as a phone and reading up on forums and maybe some words with friends and chatting, I don't use it much more than that.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Windows Phone. So I didn't have many apps cuz there weren't many apps to have.

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

7. BiGGieStuFF

OH man.....windows phone. I ALWAYS want to give them a shot but their lack of apps and mostly app updates is horrendous.

Most of everything you need will already be on the phone and the obvious ones will pop out at you in the google play store.

Nova Launcher if you want to have more customization options over your home screens and layouts and icon themes.

tapatalk if the forums you frequent are included in this app then it's a great alternative then having to browse a mobile web page for your forums. (I wish clutchfans forum would be on it one day)

Tuneinradio for local radio stations but I believe the MOTO G has a FM chip in there so you can listen that way with headphones

google keep for a simple note taking utility that syncs across your phone and your PC desktop within Chrome.

hangouts will be on your phone for SMS and chats but I prefer the stock SMS messenger because of the quick reply feature. lot of 3rd party SMS apps

keyboards are another popular app that people like to switch out.

Swype, swiftkey. I just use google keyboard.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you want anti-virus, you can download Lookout for free. It doesn't really matter that much but there's a free edition that you can throw on if you really want something.

Your phone will come bundled with all of the google apps as well as several popular social media apps. Just explore the play store when you have a chance and look at the top free apps. That'll give you a nice starting point to discover the most common apps.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree with many of the above app suggestions. Hangouts is a great messenging app that you can also run on your laptop, but I use Textra now. I always use Nova Prime as my launcher. Google+ and XDA Developers. I Heart Radio and TuneIn. Chrome Beta as my browser. Google Maps and sometimes Waze. And AquaMail for email.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Never understood why this hasn't come to fruition.

11. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Llama is the ***** and the most useful app I think that is available on Android that is not on iOs. Swype keyboard, Pulse news reader, Wunderlist, Where's My Droid, Zedge (to download sounds), and Hide Pictures (masks itself as Audio Manager).

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I just got an invite today, so you're in luck. Not exactly sure how you claim it, since I haven't claimed one myself. I'll email you. It has to be claimed within 24 hours. I'll send a link.

If you don't claim it by around noon tomorrow, I'll see if someone else wants it.

Edit: apparently they're not sharable. Trying to figure out a way though.

#552 Two Sandwiches, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Waiting for the new windows 10 mobile flagship phone supposedly out in Sept or Oct as I am due a free one since they could not replace a phone similar to my recently broke Lumia 1520 on their insurance plan.

Based on Windows 10 for pc's, which I like, it might be very worthwhile.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I was really looking forward to the new N5, and may still consider it, but was also really hoping for a more professional-looking physical design. I actually prefer the original N5 back than this one. May push me back to a S6.

16. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Am I the only one who has the Clutchfans App?

17. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

18. BiGGieStuFF

Hahaha I saw an email from one plus but didn't think it was an invite. Sorry guys it expired. You didn't want that phone anyway.

19. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

Let me know if there is a way.

Thanks!

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just ordered my custom Moto X pure. First new phone in 3 years.