1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Does the Zenfone 2 do carrier integration?

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It looks like it does.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe I'll do that. I don't know. I really want good call quality. Also want good battery. And cheap.

4. geeimsobored

Just to be clear, carrier aggregation only affects data speeds. It wont change call quality.

If you want better voice quality, you want a Voice over LTE capable phone and that too you'll only get it when talking to other AT&T customers who have VoLTE phones. VoLTE isn't capable of working across carriers yet so I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you haven't made an HD voice call before, the upgrade in call quality is pretty dramatic.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oh ok. Well maybe I'll go with the G, then. I don't know what I'm doing.

No one can hear me on my Lumia 920 unless I have them on speaker and that sucks. So I don't want to have to deal with that kind of crap anymore.

6. geeimsobored

The Moto G is a great phone for its price. You'll get good speaker and mic quality. I think you made a fine choice

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So does Sprint still suck? Phone will be used 90% in the city. I have a work phone but I don't let them see what I sex too. I'm kinda over the Android, just need a phone that doesn't drop calls, sends and receives texts and can get data like listening to Spotify or Sirius in my car, home, office...Sick of paying $130 a month with Verizon for unlimited and having to outright by a phone that will have a new upgrade in six months. The sprint iPhone upgrade plan to a new iPhone when it's released has me intrigued.

8. geeimsobored

Sprint will always suck because their spectrum holdings are wonky. Most of their spectrum is tied up in 2.5 ghz which requires crazy good tower density to create a nice consistent high speed network footprint. Otherwise they have slivers of spectrum in the 1900 mhz or 800 mhz range. Sprint has tower density issues that will hold them back for a long time.

If you just want good service for a good price, signup for Cricket which is AT&T's budget brand now. (Its not the old crappy CDMA Cricket as AT&T bought it and converted it to a budget brand)

Cricket uses AT&T's network but is much much cheaper. They cap your speed at 9 mb/s but if you just care about streaming audio, that's more than enough bandwidth. T-Mobile is also so-so in Houston. I have T-Mobile and its decent but Cricket is the better offer in your situation.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Sprint sucks because they choose to lure customers in with gimmicky programs like unlimited data and frequent new phone upgrades and dirt cheap prices instead of building on their network. Its aggravating trying to talk to people on Sprint and TMobile and their phone constantly breaks up and drops, then justify they refuse to over pay for phone service.

10. geeimsobored

Totally depends on where you live. Where I live, T-Mobile is better than AT&T. Even Sprint is more than fine and again you'll save money with them. Its not 2004 anymore. Even Sprint has done some solid modernization especially when it comes to call reliability since they finally got around to deploying the 800 mhz spectrum that it got from Nextel.

Houston is a different story because Sprint and T-Mobile dont have the tower density that they need but newer phones make up for this because T-Mobile and Sprint now both have low frequency spectrum deployed. But I agree if you are talking to someone who can only connect to CDMA over 1900 mhz then it can be a pain. Before 700 mhz I couldn't make a call in my parents' house but now its not really an issue before.

But T-Mobile has been a fantastic value offering where I live. The tower density is off the charts good so congestion almost never happens. We got the full 700 mhz overlay so building penetration issues are gone. T-Mobile has even done a full modernization of the rural network here so even when driving on I-94 across the state, I'm on LTE about 90% of the time.

I think its really old school thinking to suggest that Verizon/AT&T are the only options in metro areas anymore. I have no interest in paying more for frankly subpar service. Even Verizon has huge congestion issues on Band 13 LTE and its XLTE/AWS is super spotty since they operate with very few towers.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Part of the reason I'm with AT&T. Verizon is super congested in many parts of Houston. Especially the Galleria area during lunch time. My LTE would be a blazing 768kbps, and that's even that my phone supported "xlte".

Getting a meh, but okay 6-8mbps during lunch time on ATT in same area.

However, unlike your experience, I actually have superior AT&T service in the areas I frequent than a carrier like Verizon (also, never go to west texas with verizon. there isnt even one roaming parternet out there) or T-Mobile.

At least T-Mobile is trying, and their 3 countries for 1 deal is pretty cool! They still have a long way to go to deploy LTE everywhere due to spectrum but they are a big part of the reason wireless has changed in Murica

12. Scionxa

Sprint is the worst carrier I have ever experienced. I paid off two ETF's during their Wi-Max era to bolt the **** on out of there and get on a real carrier.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

t mobile is worse

14. geeimsobored

AT&T's spectrum position in Texas is actually pretty good. In South and parts of West Texas, they are by far the best carrier because they hold all of the original 850 mhz licenses. Verizon hasn't even fully built out in Texas because they'd be forced to build out CDMA with 1900 mhz which isn't worth the money.

15. Scionxa

Yeah isn't Verizon all 1900mhz for voice in all of Texas (exception of Houston I believe) and Florida?

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Getting my Nexus 5 replaced under warranty for the 4th time.

Thanks, LG.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I never paid the ETF...

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

How long ago was this? My coworker has Sprint and she says she has zero issues saved for a dropped call like once a month. I'm not going T-Mobile or Cricket, I need a solid carrier, just sick of paying full prices for phones when a new comes out every 6 months. I really like the new trade in the iPhone for a new one for free plan they had, and I posted this on other message boards and received the exact opposite reactions from here. 90% of them seem to like Sprint and have no issues, but not one lives in Houston. Weird.

19. Scionxa

You were able to get out of the ETF?

When I sold you that "Epic" 4G like five years ago was when I left Sprint lol. I was so ready to leave them I think I sold it to you for dirt cheap too hah.

20. Scionxa

Cricket is a solid carrier. They use AT&T towers now.

This was in 2010 I believe. You just can't trust that company, and take a look at how bad their financials are. They're expected to run out of money soon and start borrowing from the parent company