1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My Note 3 has been rapidly dying in my arms the last 2 months. I keep telling myself things will be okay, but I see the girl next door and keep wanting to smash (buy a new phone).

Been leaning towards jumping off the Galaxy train and reverting to iPhone which I haven't had since the first iPhone. Not sure there is an Android replacement that catches my eye that has a large screen. I don't feel the note 4 or Note Edge are justifiable for upgrade from the Note 3.

I was holding out for Note 5, but not sure I can make it. Opinions?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wait for the Note 5. It'll be worth it.
    Note 4 is great, I have it now, but the next iteration is right around the corner!

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you're with TMobile, definitely wait. The current iphone is missing band 12 support which is a big deal as far as in building network coverage. If you're with any of the other carriers then I guess you could go with it. I think the next iphone (I assume the 6s) will be this fall and the note 5 will probably come around the same time. I'd wait for both of those to come out and then compare.

The Note 4 also has band 12 and carrier aggregation support out of the box if you're still considering that option.

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Stay with At&t. Get the T-Mobile Note 4.
    Profit.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Root and throw a custom rom on your phone. It will give it new life. Then in October get the Note 5.

6. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

your not alone brother, i got a Note 2 and my screens cracked phone has water damage and i lost my Stylus somewhere lol. I'm holding out for the Note 5 too but I don't know if I can hold out for that long.

7. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

so when is the iPhone 10 coming out?

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

The Note 4 is awesome, but I'm really liking the Nexus 6. Stock 5.1, just rooted a few days ago. Last night during halftime I was able to port the HTC One M9 camera to my Nexus, and it works great! Definitely an upgrade over the stock camera app. Anyone else have suggestions for apps to port/flash over?

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

does the M9 have slow mow that works on the N6?

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

No, it just has the basic camera, selfie mode, Bokeh, photo booth, panorama, and split capture (front and back camera take pics together). Supposedly their Zoe feature doesn't work on the Nexus, but I haven't tried it.

11. BiGGieStuFF

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So I see this:

So translated... does this mean I can get 4G LTE with T-Mobile and AT&T? But not with (for example) Verizon or Sprint?

Also, do all those different colors come with 4GB RAM? I see it says not all models have 4GB RAM ("is the world’s first smartphone with 4GB of dual-channel DDR3 RAM [not offered on all models]").

#272 Haymitch, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  13. geeimsobored

Correct. Aside from the fact that its missing a CDMA radio that you need for Verizon and Sprint, it's also missing all of Sprint's LTE bands and Verizon's main LTE band. (it has band 4 but its missing band 13 so its basically useless) Theoretically if it had band 13, you could work some shenanigans to get it to work on Verizon provided it had Voice over LTE enabled out of the box but that's a moot point.

It's also missing band 12 so you wont get coverage inside some buildings but it has 2 and 4 which are T-Mobile's main LTE bands so you should be fine. It also has all of AT&T's LTE bands (2, 4, 5 and 17) so AT&T users will get 100% coverage.

Rule of thumb when looking for LTE compatibility, look for the following:

Sprint (bands 25, 26, and 41)
    Verizon (bands 4 and 13 but band 2 is also coming soon)
    AT&T (bands 2, 4, 5 and 17 AT&T is also going to start broadcasting Band 17 as Band 12 so eventually you'll be able to get away with 12 or 17)
    T-Mobile (bands 2 and 4 but band 12 is expanding pretty rapidly now)

1 person likes this.
  14. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Bought the Asus zenfone 2 for my wife. the 4GB RAM and 32GB memory space.

The dialer has a funny bug, once the call is made, the screen goes blank whether or not the call is picked up or not. If you need to cancel the call, you need to press the power button to light up the screen. There's a setting where you can turn off the blank background feature but it doesn't work. all of asus' app is listed on the play store, so you can i guess comment on the reviews and get feedback, so i guess thats a plus.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

ordered the zenfone 2, 4 GB ram, 64 GB memory.

pretty excited about it honestly...yeah its not a nexus 6 or a flagship phone but i don't need that. i'm coming from a nexus 4 so anything is an upgrade at this point, plus half the price of those other unlocked devices.

quick question though, obviously one of the downfalls is the bloatware that is installed on these phones. from what i've read looks like most of these can be uninstalled.

also though reading about people installing custom roms...how exactly does that work?

for instance the google now launcher seems to be a way to make a phone "pure android" but what happens to the zenfones ability to wake up with a double tap on the screen if i were to install the launcher? is there a way to still make it wake up with the double tap after installing the launcher?

16. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Double tap to wake is baked into the kernel. Haven't seen any custom ROMs yet since the boot loader is still locked. If it has double tap to sleep within the stock launcher, then installing Google Now launcher will remove that feature since its launcher specific like the G2/G3/G4 stock launcher.

17. BiGGieStuFF

So far I'm liking the phone. It'll serve my mother well. double tap to wake and sleep is a nice touch since they put the power button all the way to the top. I can't figure out how to keep the wake/sleep feature of the phone enabled for wallet cases. It seems to only work when asus cover feature is enabled but since i didn't get an asus cover the round circle is turned on all the time when the case is closed.

lot of the junk you're able to uninstall. The ones related to asus i left on there and didn't disable. A little disappointed that the 2nd sim is only 2g speeds. Also I had no idea that the phone comes with 100gb of google drive for 2 years. not bad at all.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Are the rumors true about the Note 5 being released early, in July? My S4 is dying a slow death and after playing around with the S6 I wasn't impressed enough to buy. The Note 5 though, hearing it's gonna be the ish.

19. geeimsobored

Latest rumors are July/August. But then again, its just a rumor. Supposedly its going to be 5.9 inches this time around.

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so...trying to setup an alarm on zenfone 2...but i can't seem to find a "dismiss" option like i did on my nexus 4 by pulling down the top menu icon. there a way to do that so i can set the alarm and not have to go into the clock app and turn the alarm off/on everyday?