1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Faust

Faust Member

i keep my phone for 3-4 years. this the company's way of making the phone useless faster so we replace it faster. im going with the sony z4 compact when it come out b.c great battery life is essential.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No doubt the companies are trying to bolster sales. What are you currently using?

3. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Saw the HTC had a camera update but I'll go with the S6 edge. What's the best way to transfer files from S5 to S6 if most of my pics and other files are on my SD card?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Either back them up to the cloud or to a computer via a usb cable.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Smartswitch App

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s6-kies-smart-switch-599994/

Took less than an hour, and transferred passwords, apps, network sign ins...pretty handy little app.

6. Falcons Talon

I've had my Edge for about a week. While there is very limited use for the edge feature, I'm loving the phone. The camera is outstanding and two taps of the home button opens it up very fast. The fingerprint security is pretty good and easy to use.

The screen is brilliant and crisp, beautiful colors

For those worried about the battery life, s6 has a feature called super battery saver, puts screen in black and white and leaves you with call, text, and a few customizeable user chosen apps. I'm at 64% battery right now. in power saving mode, I have 7 hrs 23 min. In ultra power saving mode, Im at 16 hrs, 22 min remaining.

I picked up a Verus Thor case for now until lifeproof comes up with a waterproof case.

The board memory is really hogged up by the os and supplied apps. On my s4, I had a total of 16gb, and I had 2 gb available. On my 32 GB edge, I transferred everything over and I only have 8 gb available. I thought I would have about 18 gb available, but 8 gb is still fine for me to toy with.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

With all due respect, I'm sure that's an awesome phone, but I'm very underwhelmed by those numbers.

8. Falcons Talon

I do enjoy it very much and I needed a phone anyway as my s4 was starting to not detect the sim card. I may have gotten away with the s5, but I figure I'd treat myself.

In the end, the phone is still just a smart phone, but much better than what I had before.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm sure it's awesome and I wasn't meaning to try and slight your purchase at all, I was just surprised by the lack of space and the ultra power saving mode numbers.

I thought the ultra power saving thing makes 25% battery last for like a day or something?

10. Falcons Talon

Oh no offense taken. I was surprised by lack of leftover space as well, and i thought ultra power saver would give a little more too. of course, that was just what the phone predicted. I would hope for more. Seems like an OS memory hog

11. Falcons Talon

Took a look at my battery projection on full charge...11hr 22 minutes on power saving, and 25 hrs 13 minutes on ultra power saving

Those projections don't sound right.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Those estimates are always all over the place and basing it off the current power consumption tasks you're doing. For cell phone reviews, I always like Phone Arena. Their methods are tested pretty objectively across the board.

Here's their battery tests for the S6 Edge.
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S6-edge-Review_id3966/page/4

For comparison if you're too lazy to click the link, they tested the Edge at 8hr11min. Sony z3 was 9hr29min, S6 7hr14min, and M9 6hr25min.

13. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

This is a pretty good deal I saw on slickdeals.net atm. LG G2 is a very solid 1.5 yr old phone that is considered better than many newly released phones including the LG G3.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7778265-lg-...unlocked-smartphone-brand-new-189-99-ebay?v=1
    http://slickdeals.net/f/7788471-32g...-verizon-wireless-black-200-free-shipping?v=1

First link is for AT&T and second for verizon. AT&T version has more bands and is more useful for travelers. For $189 and unlocked, it's maybe the best 'budget' deal smartphone out there atm imo. Will cross post to Hot Deals.

14. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

A Massive LG G4 Leak Went Down This Weekend

15. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Got the S6 Edge on Friday and absolutely loving it so far.

16. Falcons Talon

It may be something that was available before but I just discoverd this. When taking a picture, if you hold the vol up button, it will take burst pics until you lift your finger. Give it a try

17. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i've been following along with the zenfone 2 stuff for a few weeks now.

i read somewhere yesterday theres going to be a asus event on the 28th in NYC...could finally get a US launch date...or maybe it will launch same day. that'd be cool.

#237 FlyerFanatic, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  18. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

s6 edge battery has stabilized after using it for a couple of weeks, but still convinced that cell standby shouldn't use as much as it should. oh well... it gets me through the day easily now.

still haven't gotten around to rooting it yet. knox and samsung pay keep me from doing so. we'll see.

oh... and the zenphone does indeed look nice.

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

To hell with Knox.

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

:grin: that's what i'm leaning to. samsung pay possibly breaking is what i'm more concerned about (when it comes out in the summer anyway). may say eff it and just use google wallet although it won't be able to use the same number if terminals.