1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

The S6 doesn't have a removable battery? Is this a permanent thing now for Galaxies? It's the only reason why I've been choosing Galaxy over the iPhone....

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

pretty sure it'll be permanent for sammy other than its mid to lower tier phones.

regarding batt life on the s6 edge, i was quite a bit worried. there's a bug that makes the batt drain faster on wifi than cell. got droid-life's kellen to test also and he ran into the same issue. likely an android 5.0.2 wifi bug.

was concerned enough about it to go on a t-mobile twitter rant with their support. they said that they forwarded it to the appropriate folks.

batt has stabilized quite a bit since then, but i still notice the bug.

1 person likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do people actually carry around spare batteries?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I can't imagine needing one, although I've gotten a few of the portabke charging banks for Christmas and I use them sometimes to top my battery off if I don't charge it overnight.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think for those who are used to carrying them around, the quick charge feature that is popping up in many of the new phones is a solid compromise. 15 minutes to go from 5% to 80% is pretty damn convenient.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Hopefully not the Note 5. Waiting on details

7. Two Sandwiches

Are there any phones that can actually go for that quick a charge in that small of time? That seems absurd.

I get a pretty quick charge out of mine, but it's nowhere near that. I'm happy with the charge I get at 2 amps.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

I do. Really helpful when I go out on the weekends.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

iPhone 6 plus is suppose to have great battery life right?

I honestly don't care about the specs. Just want good battery, good camera, and a big screen. Is iPhone 6 plus my best bet when I get a new contract in August?

10. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

For the S6's quick charge: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/3...-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-this-is-what-happened/

Here is Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 on the Nexus 6. Not quite what Eddie posted but better than 2 Amps. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ut6lemu_N64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I do. I also have a LimeFuel external battery charger. I hate looking for outlets.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think he means phone batteries that plug inside the phone, mainly for those persons that wish phones had removal batteries.

13. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Nearly every phone I've had the battery has gotten worse the longer i've had the phone, being able to buy and switch to a fresh new battery is a nice option to have.

on top of that it'll be useful for like trips and stuff. Like for example I will be camping for like 5 days this summer (at Bonnaroo) and won't have an outlet near me, having a second battery that i can have charged will be very nice for that.

its just kind of a nice option to have.

14. Two Sandwiches

Yeah, I didn't think there was a phone that could charge 75% of their batteries in 15 minutes...

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I posted I carry an extra battery and an external battery charger.

16. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Gonna get a new phone tomorrow. Currently have the S5. Debating between S6/S6 Edge and HTC One M9. Any suggestions?

Leaning towards the S6 cause I've read alot of reviews saying the camera is better. Just not liking the idea of no SD card and no removable battery. How would I restart the phone if it froze? And how do I transfer all my stuff over without a SD Card?

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Not day to day, but a removable back is crucial for replacing the battery when it wears out in about two years.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Serious question: have you kept a phone for much longer than 2 years?

19. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Most, if not all android phones and tablets can be hard reset by holding power button for at least 8 seconds. You can transfer through Micro USB port. I have transferred 11GB of emulator ROMs and 9GB+ of music to my 64GB Oneplus One with no issues. Seriously, IPhones can do these things without MicroSD, I'm sure the Android camp isn't limited without it either.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The M9 camera is just bad. The exposures just come out terribly. The battery part matters if you are talking about keeping your phone for over 3 years. The reality is that 95% of phone owners dont even touch the battery, much less replace it. You can hard reset any phone by holding down the power button. That's common to all android devices.

As for the SD card, I think it'll matter less and less as cloud storage becomes more common. You already get something like 50gb of onedrive storage with your phone plus any additional cloud storage that you already have. Plus you can buy 64 and 128 GB models if you really need the extra space. I personally have no need beyond 32 GB of storage but to each their own.

I was disappointed with HTC this time around. I still like HTC Sense over Touchwiz and the speakers are still the best you can get. But the camera just sucks and now that most people use their smartphones as their main camera, it just isn't worth it to buy a premium smartphone with a bad camera. Contrast that with Samsung who put in a fantastic camera on the S6.