1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Random Astros Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 2, 2015.

1. Dankush

Dankush Member

I know that isnt exactly what Joe Joe is saying but it only adds to the reason the Astros shouldnt take on the whole seal.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Teams willing to absorb that much salary will not be parting with key prospects... even the big market teams. Hell, even the Yankees didn't pick up all of Berkman's salary... same with the Phillies and Oswalt.

If the Astros are expected to pick up the entire salary, they will not be giving up both Appel and Singleton in the same deal.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm a fan of the Hunter Pence for Cole Hamels and Cosart trade.

We would have to send them back Singleton and Santana and we would get Hamels to complete the deal.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think Hamels is in a different realm than Berkman and Oswalt were at their respective points in their careers. I love the guys, but they weren't still in peak form / couldn't be even considered in the race for MVP or Cy at that point. Hamels can still.

But I agree with the last point. I would expect a deal to be centered around Appel and lesser pieces with more questions...not Appel and another pretty big piece.

Related aside: I wonder where their thoughts are on Moran at this point...does he have more or less questions around him (regarding future ML performance) than he did before we acquired him?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's about the same... he's just coming back from injury so he's got an INC so far for the season.

He hasn't overly slumped like Ruiz seems to have... but he hasn't set AA on fire either.

His rapid development isn't as critical as that of Correa, Appel, VV, and some of the OF prospects. I also wouldn't say he's "untouchable" to be included in a trade.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with this 100%

I would be shocked if it didn't cost Appel + one of Feliz/VV, in addition to a guy like Singleton and a lower level guy or a Villar type

And while Singleton has a chance to be an impact player in the big leagues, and his contract isn't real high...For a guy who has done nothing in the big leagues, that contract is probably just enough to take away most of his actual trade value. I could see him included in a deal for a guy like Hamels, in part because Philly could take a chance on a guy like him right now and hope they have their next Howard, and also for the Astros to get rid of a "little" salary while taking on a big one

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Interesting article with more speculation on the Hamels front and Heyman makes it clear the Astros are looking for a number 1 or 2 starter.

8. Nook

Nook Member

No way the Astros give up:

Appel + Vazquez + Singleton + Villar for Hamels

I don't think that the Astros will deal Vazquez at all.

I also think the contract the Astros signed with Singleton is an asset.

9. The Beard

You may be right

But they won't get him for less than that. Not with a good market contract and plenty of other teams going after him. He isn't gonna come cheap.

Disagree on Singleton, the contract isn't a problem at all, but most "prospects" come with very little guaranteed money at all

10. The Beard

And it's Velasquez

11. Nook

Nook Member

I know it is Velasquez.... auto correct on my IPhone.

I don't believe that it will take as much to get Hamels as a package including Appel and Velasquez.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'd love to throw them a deal headlined by Appel and Singleton. If we can keep McCullers, Velasquez, and Phillips off the table then do it.

13. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

deleted

I'm dumb, posted right above me.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

What about Aaron Harang? I'm digging what he's done lately... for cheap of course.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If that is the cost, Cueto is the better short term and long term option. One, he's better short term and likely wold involve low leven prospects. Two, keeping 85 or so million for free agency and upper level prospects are likely better long term with a lot less risk.

Granted, I think the Phillies will cave and make a trade centered around a highly touted guy or two in A or A+ with a couple of lottery ticket prospects or kick in a ton of cash for something better.

16. The Beard

Love Cueto, but

1) no guarantee you could keep him

2) if you did sign him it would cost way more than what they would be paying Hamels

I'm all for moving prospects for an ace, but I don't want to start moving prospects for rentals

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's his point... as far as "rentals" go, you'll get more out of Cueto now... AND you'll have maximum payroll flexibility after that (whether or not you want to re-sign him... or improve the team elsewhere). He also won't cost as much now.

With Hamels, you're virtually stuck with that contract... along with a lesser pitcher... and if (when) he breaks down, you're on the hook for several more years of guaranteed money. And this is before considering the more valuable prospects you gave up to get a pitcher with years left under contract.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hamels is only an ace in a very broad sense. I usually reserve that for a top ten to twelve pitcher. Even then, he likely won't be an ace in two years in the broad sense.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

2010: 3.06 ERA, 9.1 K/9, 3.6 WAR (208 IP)
    2011: 2.79 ERA, 8.1 K/9, 4.9 WAR (216 IP)
    2012: 3.05 ERA, 9.0 K/9, 4.6 WAR (215 IP)
    2013: 3.60 ERA, 8.3 K/9, 4.5 WAR (220 IP)
    2014: 2.46 ERA, 8.7 K/9, 4.2 WAR (204 IP)
    2015: 2.88 ERA, 9.3 K/9, 1.2 WAR through 33% of season (81 IP)

Sorry, how is he not an ace? What indicators are you using to determine that he "likely won't be an ace in two years" ?